H23A1 knocking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H23A1 knocking?

So to make a long story short, I've just had my motor rebuilt due to a cracked piston causing too much pressure in the block. During this rebuild I had the motor resleeved with some dry sleeves. I also had the machine shop build the motor this time due to me not having any time outside of work and college.
    Well I got the motor put in and started runs great! It has a very strong sounding idle and just runs goood, however; when I'm under the hood with it running and I hit the throttle I hear a knock when it is under load. My first thought was a tuning issue since I knew it would need a tune due to putting a little bit bigger piston in it during the build. Brought it to the tuner and he said he wouldn't tune it cause he didnt think it was a tuning issue. So I brought it back to the machine shop for them to hear it. At first they thought rod knock, then they thought timing issue because they doubted the rod bearings going bad since they were brand new and everything was miked (or however you spell that) and nothing was off when they built it. They tried changing the timing slightly but the sound did not change so they went back to saying rod knock.
    Now heres the kicker, took the oil filter off to see if we could find metal shavings in it that should be present in the case that the rod bearing were going out and we didnt find anything, not even little flakes. So now not only am I stumped by it but the machine shop is too.
    Going to bring it up for valve adjustment to see if it helps, which they doubt it will but it needs to be done anyways.
    Does anyone know what could be causing the knock or has this happened to anyone else before? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have not been driving it any because I didn't want to damage it any if I could help it. I desperatly need my car back so that I'm having to drive my gas gussling truck which I have to fill up every 4 days going back and forth to work.

If at first you don't suceed, then skydiving is not for you.

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

Check your spark plugs. Make sure they are gapped correctly, installed correctly, and not fouled. I had a plug begin to back out on my H22A, and it sounded like rod knock.

Comment

Ok I'll give that a shot as soon as I get home from work today!

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

Comment

Hopefully it's something simple! Though my issue was due to the threads in my head being damaged thanks to some dumbass (me) overtorquing the spark plugs.

If it really is rod knock, is the shop that assembled the engine going to take responsibility for it?

Comment

Im hoping its something simple as well!

Yeah when I talked to them about building it I asked what kind of warranty I would get with it and they said I'll get a year warranty on it. I've made a good relationship with them over the years and they have yet to do me wrong so hopefully they won't start now!

Comment

Hopefully its not rod knock.

Just to throw in there, is the sound definately coming from the block?
            -More of a thunk (or a spanish "trill"-double R) than a tick?
            -Noise gets louder and more pronounced when revving/ driving?
            -Did the shop use a stethoscope or listen to the car drive by? (Listening outside the car from dead stop accelerating slowly always seemed to help drive out subtle noises we would hear with the hoop propped and reving).

Same thing as Deev said I had a miata that had two cylinders where the spark plugs would back themselves out over time..

Good Luck

Pop vTec

Comment

Ok so I've changed the spark plugs and made sure all the gaps were right, the noise has gone away for the most part, however; now the motor is pinging (lean air fuel mix ratio). I've retarded the timing a a little more than halfway back (when last tuned was tuned to full advance) the pining is still present though. The motor shop said I should probably change the o2 sensor due to the fact that is was burning alot of oil previoulsy and it could have gonne bad which would prevent the ecu from knowing it was running lean and putting more fuel in. Does this sound correct to you all? Thought I would ask cause I know o2 sensors can be a little pricey.

BTW I'm just trying to get it where I can bring it to the shop (8-10miles) to get the valves adjusted and then ill bring it to the tuners (15-20miles opposite direction) to have it re-tuned, without having anything go bad from lean fuel mix.

Comment

Working...
              X