Junk Yard f22a1 cylinder head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junk Yard f22a1 cylinder head

Just scored an f22a1 cylinder head from Junk Yard. Please don’t hate, I have a frugal budget to work with. Don’t have the sufficient $mula to tke in to the machine shop. Anyone one positive feedback as to what I can do or should not do to the head before I start to torque her down. Looking for a DIY or sticky as to checking for warpage or leaks maybe enven swap out the valve guides.
    I paid $75 with a $15 core, got it off another 92 four door lx, had front bumper and grill collision damage, the rest of the car look clean, it must have belong to some ones grandmother who kept it in the garage. It had excellent interior, so I got a feeling this cb7 was babied. So I noticed the engine bay was clean and spotless, and the cylinder head look pretty cleaned, almost shinny, so I start taking it apart and noticed this head has been previously installed not long ago. Im thinking this is getting good, and feeling very lucky. Im feeling very confident on JK replacement head, so that’s where I am at. Feel free to get at me if you got any good ideas or JK head stories you wanna share. Thanks!

My bad, I have a 92cb7 coupe.

Comment

make sure you replace all the seals and check to make sure the valves aren't bent
      Last edited by Grumpys93; 03-08-2015, 09:13 AM.
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

If you have a tight budget changing the valve guides would be a bit much. Valve guide seals maybe!

As mentioned above, replace all the seals and gaskets, you will need an engine top end gasket kit. A good one will come with the head gasket, valve cover gasket, valve guide seals..etc..etc.

if you want to check that the head surfaces are true, you will need a machinists straight edge so you can check the surfaces for warping.

best bet would be to call a local machine shop and ask them how much they would charge to check out a head. they can check the surfaces and valves fairly easily and usually pretty cheap.

Can you post pictures of the head?

Combustion chambers
        Valve train
        inside the intake ports and exhaust ports.

At least that way someone might be able to help you spot something.
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Thanks guys. Im waiting on my gasket kit to get here, but wont be torqueing till next weekend. Gonna have to work on the pics, haven't downloaded before on this forum. Anyone else?

Comment

My gasket came in on Friday, spent Sat & Sun cleaning the mating surfaces. I have a lot of corrosion to deal with, my thermostat housing bolts are frozen, the connecting crossover pipe broke off on the back side of the thermostat housing.
            The outer piston casing, I believe it to be cast iron is rusted beyond belief. The top of the brim where the head gasket sit on is very questionable. Im thinking to move on the another engine as soon as I have the cash for it, that's if its starts?

Comment

Yeah, it sounds like you need to start over with a new engine.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Anyone know what engine should I be looking at? Is the sticky discussion about down grading to smaller liter engine, Im thinking about gas saving.

Comment

This job is done, I check the compression on all four and came up 180psi on all four.
                  Im getting error code 43, gas/ air ratio. My pvc grommet s crack. Can this be the cause for my Error code?

Comment

Originally posted by laloquera View Post
                    This job is done, I check the compression on all four and came up 180psi on all four.
                    Im getting error code 43, gas/ air ratio. My pvc grommet s crack. Can this be the cause for my Error code?
                    i would start with o2 sensor then maybe check MAP sensor

Comment

Why the map? Anyways, Doing a oil change and Im gonna adjust the valve one more time, would like them to run a bit less noiser. Also, gonna double check compretion check.

Comment

Working...
                      X