squealing noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

squealing noise

When I start the car , a very high pitch squealing noise comes out of the hood

As I start driving the noise goes away. I have notice that it comes back ( not as high pitch though) when I stop at red lights/stop signs. It I put the car in neutral and accelerate, it goes away. It never happens on the highway.

Time can vary from a couple of seconds to half a minute noise when I start the car. Alternator was replaced last year , but I didn't drive during the winter.

How do I know what belt is the problem? ( power steering or alternator belt ?) . How do I know if the alternator belt has the proper tension? ( without using a tool to measure tension) or if it is misalignment ? I have to mention that eventhough my car has AC unit, it is broken and I never use it.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Press on the belts with your fingers... if they seem loose, then tighten that belt till it stops squealing.

Comment

Don't buy belt dressing. Well..., you can if you want to determine its the belt. Personally I'd just spit on it or something like this.

But belt dressing is a band-aid fix, replace the belt(s) that is squealing. Squealing = bad belt or the belt is not tight enough. Consult your manual if you need to know how to tighten the belt and how to measure tightness.

Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
        X