VTEC Working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VTEC Working?

I have a F22b1...i am not sure whether or not the VTEC is working...
    I have already taken the VTEC solenoid off and verified that it clicks, cleaned the screen, ETC. Now with it back on, i can not really tell if it is working. I have two codes one for the 02 sensor that i know of, and the VTEC solenoid 21 code.

Is there something that i missed while doing this swap? I know from an earlier thread that the EGR and 02 have to be switched on the P0A-A01 ECM and already done so; none of that really matters, because i am not using the EGR system and the 02 sensor is not wired yet. I have the VTEC wired from the bay to the ECM.

I want to bypass the solenoid, but i am afraid it may damage my new ECM. If the bypass fails to get rid of the code then i am thinking about running the VTEC wires again

Thx in advance.

Edit: Bypass was unsucessful.
    Last edited by DGOfTheCentury; 08-17-2015, 02:52 PM.
    F22B1 Swap. #StanceNation

91' Accord Project

Paint is custom faded. (Love the Frankenstein look!)

well... the way me and my friend tested it isnt the best way BUT it does work and thats what counts
    have a wire the leads from the battery and the vtec solenoid to the cabin and around 5k just touch the wires together, that will tell you if it actually works you could also use a switch if you dont have a friend to do it.
    but all in all i would fix the CEL's first. i would think the o2 would make it not engage

Comment

Originally posted by 93redcb7 View Post
      well... the way me and my friend tested it isnt the best way BUT it does work and thats what counts
      have a wire the leads from the battery and the vtec solenoid to the cabin and around 5k just touch the wires together, that will tell you if it actually works you could also use a switch if you dont have a friend to do it.
      but all in all i would fix the CEL's first. i would think the o2 would make it not engage
      Ok so i am pretty sure it is not working, because the engine is rated at 6200rpm...it only goes to 5k, then it starts to redline. Do you really think the 02 sensor would prevent the VTEC from engaging? That could potentially be my problem...

91' Accord Project

Comment

By Redlining, do you mean it will not rev any further than five k?

Check for any CEL's and confirm the bulb is operational. if VTEC is not working then there is an issue with your car.
        sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Originally posted by lbus9168 View Post
          By Redlining, do you mean it will not rev any further than five k?

Check for any CEL's and confirm the bulb is operational. if VTEC is not working then there is an issue with your car.
          Yea it will not go any further, needs VTEC timing to go to its rated 6200rpm. Yea the bulb works, recently replaced all of them. I know there is an issue lol.

91' Accord Project

Comment

So no CEL's? are you using the correct ECU?

Comment

So no CEL's? are you using the correct ECU?
              Yes i have CELs, i stated them in my initial post. code for 02 sensor and the VTEC solenoid code 21.

91' Accord Project

Comment

Sorry, I missed that part. Code 21 may be wiring, or possibly the solenoid itself is broken. If you can, you should try replacing with a known good one.

Comment

Sorry, I missed that part. Code 21 may be wiring, or possibly the solenoid itself is broken. If you can, you should try replacing with a known good one.
                  Already tested the solenoid and it clicks. However, i will still look into getting a new one.

91' Accord Project

Comment

Then look at your wiring.

Comment

How long is the oil pressure switch ground wire?

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                      JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
                        How long is the oil pressure switch ground wire?
                        Really short, it is using one of the screws on top of the VTEC solenoid.

91' Accord Project

Comment

Are you guys stumped as much as i am? Someone said something about my O2 sensor preventing VTEC, is this true? Or should i just buy a new VTEC mechanism. I have the POA-A01 ECM if that helps. I pinned the D6 and A4 for VTEC already.

Tomorrow, i will start checking the continuity on things and run new VTEC wires. I really want to see what this motor can do, it pulls hard even without VTEC. It has not worked at full potential since i bought it, because of my poor wiring capabilities.

91' Accord Project

Comment

Move your ground for the VTEC solenoid to the chassis, sounds like that's exactly why you're not getting VTEC engagement. O2 doesn't matter to VTEC engagement, which your engine is not engaging. Stop revving it so high until you get it fixed, you're just wasting gas. 3K max.

You should get your O2 code fixed, as well, otherwise, you could damage something considering that's what monitors A/F ratios and tells the ECU to adjust, and your car could either be running dangerously lean or rich. Without that feedback, your ECU's in safe mode and more than likely just dumping fuel.
                            Last edited by Chrisnick; 08-16-2015, 04:46 PM.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

did you make sure to use the right size pin on d4? i made the noob mistake and used a wrong size and it didnt work because of it.
                              if the sensor clicks most likely its good
                              how do you actually have it wired?

Comment

Working...
                              X