Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Master Cylinder - Right Tools for the Job

The short version:

What tools are required to change out the clutch master cylinder in a 93 5-speed?

The long version:

Yesterday, when I tried to leave for work, my clutch pedal sank to the floor and stayed there. Thanks to previous posts and a few puddles of brake fluid on the ground (and in the cabin under the master cylinder), I was able to determine that both my clutch master and slave cylinders failed. Last night, I replaced the slave... a bit of grunting and swearing was involved, but all went well. Tonight, I tried to remove the old master, and for the life of me cannot remove the nut from the left stud (inside the firewall, opposite side of the clutch assy from the brake pedal). I'm guessing I don't have the right tool for the job, but I've tried an open-ended wrench, a box wrench, and a 4-inch long 1/4" drive ratchet with a deep well socket. All three of these, I can't find room to turn. I've also tried a standard socket (bottomed out on the stud), and a 3/8" drive ratchet (can't squeeze past the relays) and 10# breaker bar (again, can't find room to turn). At this point, I'm about to throw in the towel and pay a machanic to do it for me. What is the correct tool to get into that small space and break the nut loose?

Any info from anyone who has done this repair would be appreciated. A lot of people have said this is an easy job, and it seems like it would be if I could just get to the nut.
    I swear, eventually I'll run out of things to break.

I guess I was wrong... I broke it all. Died 10/29/06

swivel head socket

ILBB
    People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
    The world needs to be reset.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, while at the store, I came across a set of felxible drive extensions (coiled steel type). Had the job done in under an hour. I think I may have just found my new favorite tools
      I swear, eventually I'll run out of things to break.

I guess I was wrong... I broke it all. Died 10/29/06

Comment

i have the same problem is this what i need?

http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker...EDUR%7C%7Etrue

theres 2 bolts at the pedal... left side and right. right side is cake.. left size is tight and all the wires under the dash blocks the way of a socket or wrench.. somebody tell me what to buy that will help... also how does this tool works in this situation..

does the new master cylinders come with new cotterpins?
        http://www.get-gifts-for-free.com/?ref_id=4810

1992 Honda Accord 4dr 5spd EX- R.I.P 8/10/05

Comment

would like 6" or 10" extension do the trick?
          http://www.get-gifts-for-free.com/?ref_id=4810

1992 Honda Accord 4dr 5spd EX- R.I.P 8/10/05

Comment

You need a joint and a few extensions. I did this recently and tried every which way with out using the flexible joint and I could not get it to work.

You will need a deep 12mm or deep 1/2'' socket also.
            Gary A.K.A. Carter
            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

I just did this job and would suggest you get something like an ice pick but with a hook on the end. It's for getting the cotter pin out from where the pushrod connects. Otherwise you can just unscrew the push rod all the way out, but you will have to adjust the peddle play after reassembly.

My swap thread
              Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

ahh not the cotter pin !!!! brings back some bad memories ....

Comment

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92
                  I just did this job and would suggest you get something like an ice pick but with a hook on the end. It's for getting the cotter pin out from where the pushrod connects. Otherwise you can just unscrew the push rod all the way out, but you will have to adjust the peddle play after reassembly.
                  You always have to adjust the pedal.

Just unscrew it all the way, that cotter pin is not worth it.
                  Gary A.K.A. Carter
                  [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
                    that cotter pin is not worth it.
                    Amen brotha, I found out the hard way.

My swap thread

Comment

This past week my clutch failed due to the slave cylinder failure, and I managed to bleed the system and get it working again, but the clutch pedal free play I have not been able to adjust.

I followed the chilton's yet failed so I have like 2 inches of free play when I should have far less.

how might I adjust the clutch pedal?
                      '92 LX.
                      JDM H22a.

My Member's Ride Thread

Sold to: tysCb7, johnD1079, AccordHybrid92, GUA-D'zCb-7, judonoh, DriftProjectR, AeyJayCB7, C91BLX7, H23CB7

Comment

Turn the push rod either right or left. There is a picture of this posted by cp[mike] on more than one thread.

My swap thread

Comment

Working...
                        X