Boiling h2o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boiling h2o

I was checking out my car under the hood today, after i had shut it off, and i heard a weird noise coming from my radiator cap. The water was boiling. I have no problems with overheating in the car, because the temp never gets over 1/2 way. What should I do?

whats the ratio of water to coolant that you are using?

Comment

Your coolant shouldn't be boiling. It shouldn't get that hot. Your not running a weak mix or God forbid, straight water are you?
      It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

Comment

Straight water, but coolant doesn't do anything but keep water from freezing and keep rust out of the system

Comment

Please tell me your messing with us. Coolant is called coolant because it increases the boiling point of water, just like it decreases the freezing point of water. It does also keep your water pump lubricated.
          It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

Comment

yeah dude... not to try and be an a hole or anything, but thats why its called coolant and/or antifreeze... honestly i dont even know if they make them seperatly anymore. you should use that stuff all year around! the manufacturers label will tell you what vehicles they are used for, the proper mixture, etc...

Comment

i think you should flush out the system and put in the proper coolant/water ratio

Comment

Originally posted by 93CB7
                Please tell me your messing with us. Coolant is called coolant because it increases the boiling point of water, just like it decreases the freezing point of water. It does also keep your water pump lubricated.
                He's right but it's actually called "Ethylene Glycol Concentrate".
                It started out as Anti-Freeze then become Anti-Freeze/Anti-Boil. It was also called Corrosion Inhibitor. But all the terminologies became confusing to the lay person so now they just call it COOLANT as it relates it to Cooling System.
                A 50% Concentrate of Coolant and Water (1 Part Coolant to 1 Part Water) will raise the boiling point to 230 Degrees and lower the Freezing Point to -33 Degrees.(Recommended)
                A 33% Concentration of Coolant and Water (1 Part Coolant to 2 Parts Water) will raise the boiling point to 218 Degrees and lower the Freezing Point to -0.5 Degrees.
                But that doesn't mean the engine will overheat because there is no 'Glycol Concentrate' in the water. You can still run 100% Water in the System but you'd have to be a Fucking Wally to do it for an extended period of time.
                It's actually the lack of water/coolant, or more precisely, the lack of flow of water/coolant in the cooling system that causes overheating. Even having the correct concentration of Coolant will not stop it from overheating.
                I'd recommend Pressure Testing the system for leaks first and make sure it wasn't just lack of coolant, or in your case, water. If that's OK I'd also be checking the Thermostat for correct operation or checking for Blockages in the Radiator. After you've eliminated the problem and refilled the cooling system make sure you bleed out all the air from the system as air pockets can create havoc in the engine.
                Just a Tip!
                After you've filled the system with the correct concentrate of coolant and bled all the air out. Run the Engine at idle until the Aux Fan Cuts In. Some engine's Coolant level tends to drop alarmingly when the Thermostat opens. Have an adequate amount of Coolant on Stand-By just in case. Also you'll find that as the coolant heats up it expands at a fair bit and you'll lose a bit from overflowing. Once the Aux Fan cuts in and the Coolant Temperature drop the coolant contracts that's the time to slowly top it back up. It is important to do this while the engine is running. Make sure you top up the overflow reservoir to the correct level with COOLANT.
                BTW: First thing in the morning before you start the engine, remove the radiator cap and make sure the level in the radiator is OK. Re-check the reservoir as well.
                Cheers
                Geoff
                Good Luck in your ventures!!
                Last edited by F22-GURU; 01-05-2006, 04:54 AM.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that since you are hearing boiling, that some of the water that you had in there (since you said it was 100% water) has evaporated....so it will need refilled. I was having coolant issues this past summer and ran 100% water with no problems...........flushed and put 50/50 in before it got cold though......
                  Seattle Silver crew #5
                  Member of the Midwest Car Club.
                  ..........2004 accord ex v6 - J30A4.......................... 91 accord ex - JDM H22A -- Long gone...

Comment

Originally posted by wrichards2005
                    Straight water, but coolant doesn't do anything but keep water from freezing and keep rust out of the system
                    Quote of the month...possibly even year.

cha-ching

Comment

If you want to seriously damage your engine, keep using water.

The boiling point of water is 212 degrees farenheit BTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      It is not uncommon for our engines to reach 220 or above.

My swap thread
                      Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

just get a bottle of 50/50 coolant and call it a day

Comment

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92
                          If you want to seriously damage your engine, keep using water.

The boiling point of water is 212 degrees farenheit BTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          It is not uncommon for our engines to reach 220 or above.
                          Yeah, we've already told him that!!
                          Thats why I said to use a Coolant Concentrate of 50% in so it can raise the boiling point to at least 230 degrees (109 deg C)
                          Standard Honda Accord Thermostats should be open at 190-195 degrees (88-90 deg C) and the Aux Fans usually cut in at about 220 degrees (105 deg C) and cut out about 210 degrees (99 deg C).

Comment

The Rad Cap pressurizes the system which also helps raise the boiling point, I would also suggest in addition to everything that was said above, to make sure the cap isnt bad....

Comment

Hey man you live in the same state I do ARIZONA!!!!! You have to be crazzy to run straight water get that fixed fast.
                              My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

Working...
                              X