reinstalling the tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reinstalling the tranny

ok any of you who have pulled off a manual tranny to swap a clutch, i have one question...

how the HECK do you line the input shaft back up when putting the tranny back on?

ive done it before, but we dont have a lift so theres hardly any room under the car, and me and deever arent the two strongest people in the world so holding up a tranny trying to line it up is completely exhausting.

any tips/tricks that make it easier? after a little bit of fiddling weve been taking it back off to twist the input shaft half a spline, hoping to line it up... but apparently that hasnt worked yet.

were so tired and its getting late.. hah...
    Last edited by cp[mike]; 03-04-2006, 09:32 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

try using a floow jack with a square pice of qood for support, make sure its supported good and isnt wobbly then it will fall on you.

Comment

tried it, no good. wiggling it around to get it to line up ends up making it slide off the jack anyway. wish i had a tranny jack... but those only fit under the car if its on a lift...

Current cars:

Comment

hmm maybe try taking crossmembers out of the way for a little room??? just throwing ideas out.

Comment

Quick.

Autozone.

They sell/rent.

An alignment tool.
          1992 Honda Accord Owner

Comment

The alignment tool is for aligning the clutch disc to the pilot bearing/bushing so that the input shaft will be centered.... it wont help u line the tranny back up while reinstalling...
            Speaking of alignment, you sure while wrestling the tranny you didnt unalign the disc??

Comment

I would double check that the disc is still lined up properly, and one thing I found that workes ok is to stick a ratchet onto the crank pulley, and while your trying to get the tranny to slide on, have your buddy rotate the motor ever so slowly. Other than that, just keep wrestling it around, drink a beer in between trys, and eventualy you'll come up with somethin. L8r
              Turbo H23a3 build has begun
              01-01-2019

Comment

Damn thats crazy yo deev Ive could have done your clutch and been done with it in no time i would have just pulled the motor out and swapped it right back in there in 3-4 hours maybe less and you would have been home with no problems. NExt time come to NY the real NY the city Sparkle productions

Comment

i cant say how well this will work on an accord but this is what i did for my G20.

1. Jacked up the car as far as possible with a floor jack.
                  2. put the tranny on top of an extra tire/rim we had laying around
                  3. slid the tranny and tire under the car and positioned it as best we could.
                  4. i reached down from the top of the engine bay and grab the tranny, pulled it up.
                  5. my friend slid another tire on top of the one we already had..so now we had two tires stacked on top of each other, and then the tranny on top of that.
                  6. i then picked the tranny up again.
                  7. From underneith, my friend guided the tranny onto the shaft as best he could

It took a few tries but we got it without much of a problem. Good luck with everything

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

sorry for not updating... anyway yeah i have the alignment tool, disc was perfectly centered and that wasnt the issue, just didnt have enough hands. had my mom come out, "ok mom move this bar back and forth until i tell you to stop" - had her twist the crank a bit until the splines lined up and it went right on.

having an extra set of hands would have saved some aggrivation, but its all back together perfectly

Current cars:

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                      sorry for not updating... anyway yeah i have the alignment tool, disc was perfectly centered and that wasnt the issue, just didnt have enough hands. had my mom come out, "ok mom move this bar back and forth until i tell you to stop" - had her twist the crank a bit until the splines lined up and it went right on.

having an extra set of hands would have saved some aggrivation, but its all back together perfectly
                      its about time mane its gettin cold out there yaknow.

Comment

Glad to hear it.. tranny's are a pain to bolt on when the engine is out of the car, congrats on getting it on.

Comment

eh i am still sorry about not going up to help. if it was a week that i got payed it would have been easier. sorry guys

not sure what else to say for the guilt in me....

Comment

Originally posted by aero
                            Glad to hear it.. tranny's are a pain to bolt on when the engine is out of the car, congrats on getting it on.
                            dont you mean when the engine is in the car . I find it easier to bolt it back in whent he engine is out of the car

Comment

um make life easier you should have pulled out the front track bar you loosen the bolt on the front of the crossmember and lube it hit it with a mallet goes in and out like cake my record was 2 hours on a cb in a parking lot no power tools and instead of using a jack or anything for the tranny lye down put it on your chest slide under the car and bench it in place makes for a simple install best to have 1 person above the car to snag it while your wiggling it around so you dont fuck your face

the build and demise
                              buy stuff i want a new car

Comment

Working...
                              X