coolant leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coolant leaking

hello cb7 people, i am a noob when it comes to anything under the hood on my car, so i apologize if this is an amatuerish question.

90 accord lx coupe

my room mate took my car out and scraped the front of the car on the curb a bit when he parked. he said after that there was some smoke coming out from under the hood and coolant seemed to be leaking all over the place.

i checked out the car the next day, radiator looked ok (not really sure what i was looking for but i didnt see any cracks and the cap was still sealed) i had the radiator replaced a little more than 2 years ago when i bought the car, so its fairly new.

i put some new coolant in the resevoir next to the radiator and turned on the car and once i started to back out of the parking spot i saw some coolant leaking from the passenger side of the car. then the car started idling up and down pretty fast so i decided to just park it again and wait until i know more.

so theres my story, any ideas? sorry if i don't have enough info.

maybe he cracked your radiator.......poor some more in get under the car..and trace the leak..gonna have to get dirty to find where he hit...

Comment

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic
      maybe he cracked your radiator.......poor some more in get under the car..and trace the leak..gonna have to get dirty to find where he hit...
      Or pressure test the cooling system but it sounds like a pretty obvious leak so thats not needed.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

check all the coolant hoses and check radiator. if the car overheats, replace all the hoses. if radiator is cracked which it may be, get new radiator. easy fix really
        My members ride thread

Comment

Yea id bet its the radiator neck...i had hit some of those damn parking blocks and eventually i started gettting leaks from the radiator when the car cooled down and when i put her up on a lift sure enough the neck at the bottom of the radiator was cracked so me and my pops replaced it with a new one half the weight of my old one...weight reduction baby! But that could be it if he hit a curb.

Comment

check all hoses and stuff. carefully check it.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
            1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
            2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
            2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
            2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
            2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

If it's the case where you fill up the radiator and it keeps on leaking out, replace the radiator yourself (check the online manual).

Check out ebay for a Accord radiator...they're not that expensive, somewhere around $100.ish USD. Koyo makes them...brass/copper with a plastic tank...
              ...if you can, buy the all metal one as all metal conducts heat way better...

You want to change this ASAP, your bouncing idle is because you have lots of air in your coolant lines resulting in the RPM bounce...

Dont try to patch up the crack with epoxy or JB weld...plastic coupled with hot, boiling coolant dont mix well lol!

After installation, make sure you babysit your fans as they should cycle on...

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
              1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

could be the radiator drain plug came off

Comment

Originally posted by pretty_ricky302
                  could be the radiator drain plug came off
                  This is true.

Comment

thanks for all the help guys, turns out to be a hose came lose, just replaced it and everythings back to normal.

Comment

Working...
                    X