Prelude blades: clearance issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prelude blades: clearance issue

I got the 4th gen SRV blades (the rims) on my accord for 2 days. Took them off because of bad humming and knocking coming from the rims. Looked at them and the tire weights on the back of the tires are just shaved off. I think the rod that goes down from the upper ball jointis rubbing against it.

It's like the rims are too wide and offset is too postive.........

Any way of fixing thatÉ

Wheel spacersÉ

thx-
    Henry

Great achievements result from great effort

Wheel spacerz = t3h w!n

Comment

I dont know what to tell you i never had that problem

Comment

happens on my si's as well.
        you'll need spacers or learn to not turn the wheel all the way.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I am also having this problem with my prelude wheels onto my '92 EX. I did the math and rough measurement for everything. The accord wheel is 5.5x15, 50mm offset. The prelude wheel is 6.5x15, 55mm offset. The Prelude wheel would naturally sit 17.5mm farther in towards the suspension, and 12.5mm farther out than the stock accord wheel with it's width and offset, but it hits. I tried to put them on the rear, but I need clearance for that arm or maybe the brake caliper too. I wish I knew how much clearance is there stock so I could know which wheel spacers to buy, I can't find anything concrete. I'm not sure about 5mm but I think 10 is probably enough, unfortunately you start running out of stud room for lugs with stock wheel studs. I think I'm going with a $200 set of four 15mm aluminum accord wheel spacers that come with their own studs for the wheel after you use the stock studs to mount the spacer. It sucks to have to guess and not be able to find (at least by searching) any concrete info on this...(hello ). I am trying really hard to keep this car a sleeper with just the prelude motor and prelude wheels and I don't want them to stick out like some lowrider shiz. With this setup (and not counting the actual tire dimension) the prelude wheel will only sit 2.5mm farther back than the original wheel, and will add a filling 27.5mm (over an inch) to the outside on each rim. That seems a little much. I need to look at the stock setup and try to imagine where an extra inch would sit in relation to the body. TC Sportline, Eibach, and H&R make spacers, I would think 10mm with longer studs would be more ideal. Does anybody have any advice or experience with a good solution to this?

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
          After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
          Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
          PM me and get it done right!

Comment

just get some quarter-inch spacers. the studs don't stick out as much, but there should'nt be a problem. i've been using my prelude si rims for years now without any problems.lates.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi_h22a
              just get some quarter-inch spacers. the studs don't stick out as much, but there should'nt be a problem. i've been using my prelude si rims for years now without any problems.lates.
              Thank you thank you, much appreciated. I wonder if the thinner spacer would still work with the front upgrade to 2.3CL hubs and prelude VTEC rotors and calipers? I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by lucid
                Thank you thank you, much appreciated. I wonder if the thinner spacer would still work with the front upgrade to 2.3CL hubs and prelude VTEC rotors and calipers? I guess I'll find out soon enough.
                those were the brakes that the wheels came stock mounted over, and its not like spacers make the wheel smaller, they only push it out away from the hub and knuckle... so i dont see why they wouldnt fit just fine...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                Current cars:
                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Good point, duh on my part. Oh yeah, my math was a little off in one spot- with the 15mm spacers, the prelude wheel would sit 22.5mm, not 27.5 out, which is a bit under an inch and a little closer to the aesthetically pleasing range for me. I found some (gorilla brand) 1/4" spacers at summit for $4.99 each that fit most 4-lug patterns. I think I'll check those out this week. If I still have problems I'll probably end up spending ten times the money for a 15mm set made specifically for prelude/accord/cl hubs. Yep $20 sounds way sweeter.

Comment

what is a prelude SRV ? Im just wondering if I pick up some 15'' alloy wheels OEM from the Lude will they affect my brakes?

Comment

so lude blades are not perfect fit on the CB's???

Comment

Originally posted by cb7'kid View Post
                        so lude blades are not perfect fit on the CB's???
                        not a flush wheel fitment but they do indeed fit.

they have too much offset.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

if its just the weights that are the issue, why not just put a sticky tape led weight on the inside of the tire instead of that clip on type of weight?

You could also get them balanced statically instead of dynamically....not as "good" a balance but it will still work...I have to do this to some wheels at work b/c of the lip that comes so far in and it still works.

But yeah, its easy, just tell the guy at Discount tire that you want to have a tape weight on the inside instead of a clip type weight b/c it hits.

member's ride thread
                          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                          91 Accord SE 176k
                          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

This is a common problem. They rub on the tie rod end, so no amount of trying to avoid the problem will fix it.

There are several possible solutions.

1) Since the weights are already shaved down, you need to have everything rebalanced anyway. You can either have the clamp weights put on the outer lip of the rim, or you can have them do tape weights on the inside of the wheel. This will eliminate that issue.

2) You can run spacers on the front wheels. Having mine mounted with clamp weights, a 1/4" spacer helped, but didn't solve the problem. So I use the spacers, and had tape weights mounted on the inside of the wheel.
                            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

^ option #1 sounds good its that simple, heh? Cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X