Converting back to R12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting back to R12

Thats right! I have had it with this piece of shit r134a. It does not cool enough. My parents live in Palm springs and whenever I go visit them my A/C throws hot air in the summer. Only when its cool outside does r134a begin to work. I wish I would have never converted to r134a. Its just not worth it in my opinion b/c I live in SoCal and it gets hotter than hell down here in the summer. Going back to r12, .

Anyone else have similar experiences? B/c I have read alot about this and it seems to me that r134a is just not good enough as r12. Also, I dont have any leaks and my A/C system is fine.

Maybe cuz your low on refrigerant thats why.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
      Maybe cuz your low on refrigerant thats why.

Does your A/C stay cold when its hot outside? If so, how hot is it outside? I dont think its low but I am going to get it checked out just to be sure.

Comment

Well i have a contaminated system the person before me was smart enough to mix 134 and r12. Apparently i had more R12 so it somewhat blew cold but now it blows warm since im pretty sure everything is clogged up now so i need to replace all my lines and such.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Well i have a contaminated system the person before me was smart enough to mix 134 and r12. Apparently i had more R12 so it somewhat blew cold but now it blows warm since im pretty sure everything is clogged up now so i need to replace all my lines and such.

Well that sucks. My g/f has r134a on her toyota camry and that thing freezes your balls off. I have to set the knob to half cold/warm b/c its too cold. I read somewhere on here that the reason why our cars or older r12 cars dont do well with r134a is b/c of the compressor. Our compressors are not designed for r134a like newer models are. Thus, its ineffecient.

Comment

It is somewhat inefficient and it is true but it still works. Even though it aint as cold it should be very similar to it. I think yours just might have been leakin or something.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

dang mine is r134 and its pretty cold. seems to burn through it faster then other cars but i think its because its an old car and might have a small leak. it also takes a min to get cold but once it does its nice. ima check for leanks and refill the system before summer anyhow. but yea no problems over here. in the winter tho my shit is fuckin HOT dang its so hot. so i guess im good 2 go.

Comment

Seriously though it gets real hot in Palm Springs, especially the summer. Temps can reach well over 115 F.

Even when I got the entire kit converted and leaks fixed, it never threw cold air in the hottest days. I even took it back to them and told them to fix it but they said nothing was wrong. All he did was recharge the sys, then I moved to San Diego and it wasnt quite as bad. I remember when I first had the accord with r12 and how my cheeks would freeze b/c it was so cold . This has never happened with r134a

Comment

It not gettin cold could be related to something else such as a clogged condensor, or the A/C Compressor going bad and such like that. But if you retrofit r12-134a there is a tendency of a leak that you might not be able to avoid but its very slow. 134a particles are smaller than the r12 so it will go through the a/c hoses because its not made to trap that small of a particle.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

well it gets pretty hot in fla...i mean hot enough that with the humitidy u want to die....and i aint have no problems...when i had it refilled it was deff better for a couple months..then it kind of died off but its still decent as far as cold..im sure i could use upgraded lines and a refill by now...maybe a new compressor for effieciecy?

Comment

It not gettin cold could be related to something else such as a clogged condensor, or the A/C Compressor going bad and such like that. But if you retrofit r12-134a there is a tendency of a leak that you might not be able to avoid but its very slow. 134a particles are smaller than the r12 so it will go through the a/c hoses because its not made to trap that small of a particle.
                      That could be true, I am going to get it checked out and will see what the A/C mechanic says. My compressor does sound like shit when I turn the A/C on but I am seriously considering going back to r12 if I buy a new compressor and condensor.

Originally posted by Ralphie
                      well it gets pretty hot in fla...i mean hot enough that with the humitidy u want to die....and i aint have no problems...when i had it refilled it was deff better for a couple months..then it kind of died off but its still decent as far as cold..im sure i could use upgraded lines and a refill by now...maybe a new compressor for effieciecy?

I am sure a new system will definately help your A/C and I do sympatheize with you cause Fla does get hot.

Comment

well you certainly have a problem if its nto cold. I retrofitted to r134a 4 years ago, and it has always worked pretty well. Last spring i got rid of the POS rebuilt comrpessor I had and put a good used one in, and measured temps of 42 degrees coming out of the middle vent on a 100+ degree day. Since then my compressor has warn some so I am only seeing 48 degrees on the same kind of day. In the next few years when my compressor gets worse I will probably get a new one and keep using r134a, it works great in our cars.....IF>>>the retrofit was done well, the expansion valve is in good shape, the right oil is used, and the installer has a clue about how to work on AC.

Comment

R-12 is rediculously expensive. There's no reason to switch back to it! v4lu3s said it, you got some issue somewhere with either low pressure or the TXV. You should have replaced the dryer when you did the R-134 conv. which most people don't. It's hard to diagnose A/C problems over the internet since you can't stick manifold gauges on there in person along with the thermometer and even simple things like looking at the lines and feeling if the thin tube is hot and the small tube is cold. It's easy in person, but a pain over the net. I suggest taking it to someone that knows what they're doing. It's not the R-134 causing the problem...it's something with your car.

My Accord History:
                          91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

my A/C is blowing 40 degrees F and it is 134a just converted. i put 4 ounces of 134a oil (honda) and 1/4 ounce of leak finder (honda) and no ploblems.
                            da9b16 is a great seller very quick shipping and great parts

Comment

Use Esther oil (cheaper than the Honda brand but is the same stuff). It mixes with the system better than the PAG oil. Also, you're supposed to change all the O-ring seals when you do the conversion too due to the smaller R-134 molecules. I bet none of that got done when your conversion was done and that's probably why you have issues.

My Accord History:
                              91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

Working...
                              X