Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is egt gauge usefull for non turbo f22a6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is egt gauge usefull for non turbo f22a6?

Am wondering what purpose an egt gauge would serve. Would help in wrong fuel mixtures, intake leaks, what else? I have always read they are only useful for turbos and i understand why but i can see usefullness for natural aspirated engines also. What yall think. Am i crazy. Maybe put it on at beginning of cat. Hey i like gauges and what is going on with my car.
    Last edited by zedjr10; 07-16-2021, 07:55 AM.

if you're staying all motor, a high quality wideband AFR would be a better choice. not the autometer ones, but an innovate or the like.

Comment

Originally posted by iakona View Post
      if you're staying all motor, a high quality wideband AFR would be a better choice. not the autometer ones, but an innovate or the like.
      What you think about prosport gauges. I already got 3 prosport 52mm jdm gauges. Goin to add 2 or 3 more in front of the speedo/tach gauge cluster. Fuel pressure, volt meter and fuel air ratio i guess now. Fuel air ratio in a month or 2. Is there any additional benefit to having an egt somewhere. Like maybe drilled into the cat somewhere for monitoring and troubleshooting any future issues. Usually they are placed up close to exhaust manifold right? Anyways thanks for info so far as Air fuel ratio gauge would be better and same amount of work as installing an egt gauge. I like cool looking gauges and having the ability to know if anything is going on with my engine.
      Last edited by zedjr10; 07-16-2021, 07:22 PM.

Comment

i've honestly never heard of them until just now. but if they work for you, then keep running them.

fuel pressure is one that i would swap out for oil pressure though. only reason i say that is low fuel pressure really isn't a honda thing. it's either good or it's nothing. hahaha.

oil psi, afr, voltmeter are your three best friends all motor. oil temp, possibly fourth.

egt is more of a boosted thing where you need to watch for spikes in temperature but n/a runs in such a narrow window, it won't do you a whole lot of good. and yes, egt probes are right at the cylinder exits. there is an optimal number of inches from the port they need to be, i forget. and then it is usually one per bore so you can tell which one is running hot.

Comment

I honestly wouldn’t waste my time with a fuel pressure or an EGT gauge. Fuel pressure on the fuel rail is all you really need and honestly once youset up the initial fuel pressure when you are tuning you don’t ever look at it again.

as for EGT I’ve read mix reviews and honestly I’m not worried about melting a piston, as if the temp is getting that hot I would see it in the oil temp and AFR.

i think the 2 most important gauges are AFR to see how your engine is burning/mixing and oil pressure to see how healthy it is.

~Nick~
          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
          MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
            I honestly wouldn’t waste my time with a fuel pressure or an EGT gauge. Fuel pressure on the fuel rail is all you really need and honestly once youset up the initial fuel pressure when you are tuning you don’t ever look at it again.

as for EGT I’ve read mix reviews and honestly I’m not worried about melting a piston, as if the temp is getting that hot I would see it in the oil temp and AFR.

i think the 2 most important gauges are AFR to see how your engine is burning/mixing and oil pressure to see how healthy it is.
            I wish i had a fuel pressure gauge now so i can eliminate if my issue is in fuel line or not. I personally think having 2 fuel gauges would be cool. One right after fuel pump and before filter. And another right after filter. I personally consider my coolant temp gauge as most important and then my oil pressure. I have an oil temp gauge also which i find very useful. Even my volt plug in gauge i find useful but definitely last on list imo as importance. I would love to have an AFR, fuel pressure and possibly a second pressure gauge on fuel rail. I love to see what is going on with car and love all those gauges 18 wheelers have.

Comment

there should be a port on the rail you can use to test your pressure at the rail, after the filter. you just need the correct fitting.

once you start running that many sources of information, i would look into a digital display of some kind. autometer has one, parts shop max has one. you can cycle through your sensors and display what you like. without have to permanently take up real estate on your dash.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post

I see your point thinking about it more. I think i am going to be getting an air fuel ratio gauge. Can I drill into exhaust manifold without taking it off you think. How easy is this thing to install?

Comment

Originally posted by iakona View Post
                  there should be a port on the rail you can use to test your pressure at the rail, after the filter. you just need the correct fitting.

once you start running that many sources of information, i would look into a digital display of some kind. autometer has one, parts shop max has one. you can cycle through your sensors and display what you like. without have to permanently take up real estate on your dash.
                  But I like the look of all these gauges and i want to instantly be able to look at any of them.

Comment

Working...
                  X