fuel stopped mid-drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel stopped mid-drive?

I was driving, and all of a sudden the engine started bogging really bad. I was just taking off with a bit of gusto, so I figured I must have put in 4th instead of 2nd (I didn't), and tried putting it back in. The tach moved, so it was still getting a bit of fuel at that point, but immediatly after that, nothing. I coasted into a parking lot, Tried to crank the engine... nothing. Turned it off, turned it back on, nothing, and I noticed the main relay wasn't clicking over. Swapped the ECU for my spare one... nothing, and main relay still not clicking over. Opened the service port on the fuel rail, turned the ignition to on, no fuel came out. Whatever the problem is, it has to do with the main relay, but this one is brand new, so I'm thinking it's indirect, something else not telling the main relay to click over. Where should I look for this something else? Also, I just went out to look for answers, I swapped out the main relay with a spare. As I thought, that didn't take care of it. Another thing I just noticed... the check engine light is on, even when I try to reset it, and won't flash when I put a jumper in the diagnosis spot to check the code (just stays solid).

just tested the fuel pump, it's good. Just taking that out of the equation...

Comment

You wont here the main relay click well I usualyl dont listen for it. I listen for the fuel pump to prime. If its doesnt prime means no fuel to motor which means no crank. You sure its a fuel problem? Check your spark? Check the ECU swap it out and see what happens.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I have never not heard the main relay click over and had the car start. I swapped the ECUs immediatly and that didn't fix it. If it is a spark problem too, it would be a bit out of the blue. I'm worried about the fuel because when I opened the service port on the fuel rail it was dry, which means there was no fuel in the fuel rail. When I jumped terminals 5 and 7 on the main relay's harness last night I heard the fuel pump prime and could tell the whole system was empty back to somewhere in the middle of the car. Something's keeping the main relay from getting a signal. When I tested the wires, only terminal 5 (lead from the ignition) was getting power. There are something along the lines of 4 wires that are supposed to be getting power, and somehow the other 3 aren't.

Comment

*sigh* bump... anyone? BTW, all my fuses are good.

Comment

Pull out the main relay and resolder it and see if that helps.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

He's already said he swapped out the main relay with a spare. Sorry no help, but would be interested as i'm having a similar problem.

^^ Clicky for Members Ride! ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Mealsy
                He's already said he swapped out the main relay with a spare. Sorry no help, but would be interested as i'm having a similar problem.
                He said he swapped out his ECU not his relay.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

id say trace things back from the main relay im betting on it being something stupid and little IM NOT SURE IF IM WRONG HERE BUT DONT WE HAVE A MAIN RELAY FUSE FOR SOME DUMB REASON damn caps lock

make sure you change that fuel filter aswell

the build and demise
                  buy stuff i want a new car

Comment

i say replace the relay again..just because its new doesnt mean its perfect

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by jumpman83
                      I was driving, and all of a sudden the engine started bogging really bad. I was just taking off with a bit of gusto, so I figured I must have put in 4th instead of 2nd (I didn't), and tried putting it back in. The tach moved, so it was still getting a bit of fuel at that point, but immediatly after that, nothing. I coasted into a parking lot, Tried to crank the engine... nothing. Turned it off, turned it back on, nothing, and I noticed the main relay wasn't clicking over. Swapped the ECU for my spare one... nothing, and main relay still not clicking over. Opened the service port on the fuel rail, turned the ignition to on, no fuel came out. Whatever the problem is, it has to do with the main relay, but this one is brand new, so I'm thinking it's indirect, something else not telling the main relay to click over. Where should I look for this something else? Also, I just went out to look for answers, I swapped out the main relay with a spare. As I thought, that didn't take care of it. Another thing I just noticed... the check engine light is on, even when I try to reset it, and won't flash when I put a jumper in the diagnosis spot to check the code (just stays solid).

yes he did nail ...i wanna kno how this pans out too..i havent had issues with it cutting off mid drive..but having issues at times starting it...going to the junkyard hopefully this weekend...gonna pick up a couple of these...and keep em in the car..and if i have issues again..just swap it out and see if it fixes the problem..

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                        He said he swapped out his ECU not his relay.
                        I swapped them both out. The one that I put in to test is unreliable, but not totally busted. It should have started at some point. The likelyhood of that not working and a brand new one not working is somthing between slim and none. Besides, I tested the relay, it's good.

Comment

Originally posted by HF22T
                          id say trace things back from the main relay im betting on it being something stupid and little IM NOT SURE IF IM WRONG HERE BUT DONT WE HAVE A MAIN RELAY FUSE FOR SOME DUMB REASON damn caps lock

make sure you change that fuel filter aswell
                          we have several fuses that supply power primarily to other things, but also to the main relay. Every fuse in the car is pristine though. Although thinking about it... maybe it has something to do with the other things that those fuses are powering... I don't see how that could be because they'd be on the downside of the fuse, the lead off that wire to the main relay would have happened before hand and there would still be a grounding path so by no means should that be the case, but I'm running out of options. But yeah, I havn't followed every line back to the source yet, that was going to be the thing to do today (since it's going to be the biggest pain in the ass so I left it for when I was on bare wire). Fuel filter may or may not be particularly good, but it's not the problem. When I jumped terminal 5 and 7 it primed the fuel pump, and got past the fuel filter. If it is bad, it's not bad enough to stop the fuel flow. At the very least not entirely.

Comment

are you sure its not the fuel pump?

Comment

if it were it wouldn't have primed when I jumped 5 and 7 on the main relay harness.

Comment

Working...
                              X