How difficult is a cam install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How difficult is a cam install?

I have the Delta 272 just waiting...how difficult is it, what kind of tools do I need? Anyone do this in their driveway? I wanna get this in already.

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...cam%2A+install

Comment

http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker...3d800cf768.jsp

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
      "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
      "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

I thought you weren't afraid to do anything to your car??? (as you once did say)

WTF, it's easy, don't be a bitch! Pick up a book and fuckin' do it already, and don't forget the torque wrench!

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorCipher
          I thought you weren't afraid to do anything to your car??? (as you once did say)

WTF, it's easy, don't be a bitch! Pick up a book and fuckin' do it already, and don't forget the torque wrench!
          It's true, I did once say that. And the torque wrench would be a nice addition to the tool set...but considering my luck lately I don't wanna push it. It seems mad easy though. What keeps the tension on the timing belt? If that's easy to take the slack off of, or in other words, I don't have to dismantle the whole engine to get the cam gear off, I might do this this weekend.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
            It's true, I did once say that. And the torque wrench would be a nice addition to the tool set...but considering my luck lately I don't wanna push it. It seems mad easy though. What keeps the tension on the timing belt? If that's easy to take the slack off of, or in other words, I don't have to dismantle the whole engine to get the cam gear off, I might do this this weekend.

You wouldn't have to ask simple (dumb) questions like that if you had yerself a good manual! Chiltons/factory/whatever

Go buy it and read it like a novel. If you truly like working on cars, and are cut out for it, you will enjoy doing that.

BTW you NEED a good torque wrench so you can tighten important fasteners like cam cap bolts to the proper spec. I even use it on the valve cover (9 ft. lbs., I think). If people did that, they wouldn't bitch about breaking the studs all the time like idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorCipher
              You wouldn't have to ask simple (dumb) questions like that if you had yerself a good manual! Chiltons/factory/whatever

Go buy it and read it like a novel. If you truly like working on cars, and are cut out for it, you will enjoy doing that.

BTW you NEED a good torque wrench so you can tighten important fasteners like cam cap bolts to the proper spec. I even use it on the valve cover (9 ft. lbs., I think). If people did that, they wouldn't bitch about breaking the studs all the time like idiots.
              fuck you cracker, lol. Ive yet to break a nut or anything due to over tightening something.

I mean fuck, its common sense. if you're tightening somewhere that has a rubber gasket, dont fucking tighten it all the way or else its gona break and have gaps in between.

I dont have any type or tq wrench, Im too poor to buy them you wana send me one justin?

but yea, get a book and it will tell you everything. people need to get off the computer and do something without people's help once in a while, its a good learning experience.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                fuck you cracker, lol. Ive yet to break a nut or anything due to over tightening something.

I mean fuck, its common sense. if you're tightening somewhere that has a rubber gasket, dont fucking tighten it all the way or else its gona break and have gaps in between.

I dont have any type or tq wrench, Im too poor to buy them you wana send me one justin?

but yea, get a book and it will tell you everything. people need to get off the computer and do something without people's help once in a while, its a good learning experience.
                It's not just about "tight enough". Bolts have torque specs because of the exact pressures that need to be exerted on the surfaces being fastened to each other. True, some of them don't really matter such as many of the exterior bolts, but when you come to anything that must seal, or bearing caps (ESPECIALLY these) having those bolts tightened to factory spec is important. You can't just go throwing in a new set of rod bearings and cranking down those nuts as tight as you want to. I dare you to try that and then see how long they last

P.S. Buy your own damn torque wrench. While you're at it, make me a fuckin' burrito, and don't fuck up on the guacamole

Comment

yea, i would use a tq wrench for any internal parts.

fuck you, i just had me some Tortas. go to taco hell and get yourself a burrito.

when you bringing my tranny bitch?

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                    yea, i would use a tq wrench for any internal parts.

fuck you, i just had me some Tortas. go to taco hell and get yourself a burrito.

when you bringing my tranny bitch?
                    Taco bell fuckin' blows unless you're too drunk to tell the difference.

As soon as he's done recovering he'll (I guess SHE now?) go right from the hospital to your house. I called for a taxi so I don't have to drive her anymore.

Comment

hhahaahahahahah

Comment

I do stuff!!! I did my suspension, a million axles and radiators, my H23 mani, audio stuff, electrical diagnostics, bodywork, poly filled mounts, you name it, I've at least tried it. I just figure it's better to ask a million questions and annoy people than to dive into it head first and make "I fukked my car up completely"/"WTB: F22" threads. Often times I find stuff is not at all difficult once it's over, and a lot of stuff is kind of self-evident...I've seldom got into a jam I couldn't get out of. But it's better to know that not to know, ya dig???

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                          I do stuff!!! I did my suspension, a million axles and radiators, my H23 mani, audio stuff, electrical diagnostics, bodywork, poly filled mounts, you name it, I've at least tried it. I just figure it's better to ask a million questions and annoy people than to dive into it head first and make "I fukked my car up completely"/"WTB: F22" threads. Often times I find stuff is not at all difficult once it's over, and a lot of stuff is kind of self-evident...I've seldom got into a jam I couldn't get out of. But it's better to know that not to know, ya dig???
                          That's what books and not being a moron are for! I can't think of anything that holds your hand more than an exact procedure printed in a convenient, flexible, inexpensive paperback book that you can put right in front of you in your engine bay.

Comment

palabra.

Comment

all you do is line up to TDC, unhook a spring and tension on the belt is loose, then you just take the belts off, put new ones on, make sure evertythings still lined up and put the spring back on.

follow a manual step by step and it describes the procedure perfectly, its very easy directions to follow if you pay attention and actually read the thing and look at the diagrams.

rocker arm assy is easy to remove as well, just follow torque specs (again, listed in the manual) and youre done.

you could do it on a day off no problem.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                              Current cars:
                              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X