Oil spray under the hood?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil spray under the hood?!

So my fiancee wanted to look under the hood of my car today, so I popped it and the first thing I see is oil sprayed all over the CAI piping. It was several droplets of oil ina fan pattern originating from the main engine block area. It looked like it was coming from underneath the valve cover.

The valve cover gasket on my CB needs to be replaced badly. Oil is all in the spark plug tubes and shit.

A few weeks ago I tried to remove the valve cover myself to look under it but I snapped the heads off of the 2 10mm bolts that are on the top-front of the valve cover. The little brass rings around there are loose now and can be taken off, but I've kept them there.

Any thoughts? I'm going to order a valve cover gasket set ASAP.

go to the junkyard or dealer and buy those bolts put the valve cover gasket on and see what happens,
    Members Ride

Comment

Yeah what he said ^.

Also, you can run the engine with the hood up so you can see exactly where the oil is spraying from. But don't run it long or it may catch fire.

My swap thread
      Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

hummm I just did my valve cover gasket when I did my timing belt, I think those studs you cracked are part of the bolts that hold the camshaft down... i may be mistaken but they do go into the camshaft caps

Just be careful whatever you do... and I would say that your oil in this case is coming from there.

Comment

well, can I drive the thing while it's doing this? Is there any way I can proof it to be able to drive it? I have to drive it. I don't have a choice, really. I need a car, and it's my only car. I can't afford a gasket set right now but I was thinking about going down to Ace Hardware and getting 10mm bolts and tryng to get the busted bolts out, but I don't have a knockout bit or anything. I don't even have a drill.

Comment

I popped the hood and ran the engine, after it got to normal operating temp I revved it up to 4k and let it drop down to 2k and then went back up to around 4k and left it running, got out and looked, and there was no more spray... this is after I cleaned it all off. There was no oil on the throttlebody or anything, it was just on the CAI piping in a fan pattern before. But after I revved it there was no oil or anything. So I guess it's just the gasket, I don't think I'll worry about it that much. It needs replacing anyway but I dont have the money for a set just yet (I know they're cheap but I make 6 75 an hour, gimme a break).

Comment

Working...
            X