Engine mounts, Urethane front mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine mounts, Urethane front mount

I was wondering, if I just get a front polyurethane filled front dogbone mount, will that solve most of the harsh shifting issues? ie: when i shift from park to drive or drive to reverse, i can hear the engine rock and feel it through the car. I know my two side mounts are good, but i know my front is shot and the rear could possibly be bad? i had the rear replaced about 30K ago along with all the others.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

a front urethane filled mount will definetly help to keep the engine from rocking....i have one for sale if u want.
    My Members Ride Thread

Comment

it'll be rough though...nothing bad just very wierd if you aren't used to it.
      ____

Comment

itll help alot if its really loose, but at the same time the side mounts can sag and still look fine and it will still transmit alot of vibration

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
        "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
        "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

it just feels so bad when i shift from D to R and from Park. I feel like i'm beating the shit outta my car everytime i do that.

member's ride thread
          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Bad engine mount

I've got a noob question about engine mounts. I think I may have a bad front mount. I've been hearing an occasional knocking sound coming from my engine, so I investigated it today. I looked at my front engine mount and it looked like rubber stuff or whatever it is in there may be damaged. I'm able to move it side to side with my hand, is that bad?

H22 Fund Cancelled. Flight training underway.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteve_dan
              I've got a noob question about engine mounts. I think I may have a bad front mount. I've been hearing an occasional knocking sound coming from my engine, so I investigated it today. I looked at my front engine mount and it looked like rubber stuff or whatever it is in there may be damaged. I'm able to move it side to side with my hand, is that bad?
              wel what do you think?

yes it is not supposed to move...fill the mount, get an insert, replace it entirely or get an insert and fill it.

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                wel what do you think?

yes it is not supposed to move...fill the mount, get an insert, replace it entirely or get an insert and fill it.
                yeah the mount's supposed to be pretty solid and try looking at it before you take it out to see if any of the rubber is torn, but chances are, if you can move it side to side, its bad

member's ride thread
                91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I figured it was bad, but I was really hoping it wasn't. I've got a couple other things to fix too. I'm gonna need a new cv joint soon(heard it click a few times today) and I need a new fuel filter and possible a couple other things(mileage is shitty right now). This is gonna get expensive.

Comment

the front mount and fuel filter is a cheap fix if your mechanically inclined...dont worry.
                    Last edited by starchland; 12-17-2007, 01:14 AM.

Comment

I'm overhauling an airplane engine at school right now, so I do have a decent amount of mechanical skill. I just aint go tmuch experience, especially with cars, the engine bays are way more packed then a cessna is. I'll post up pics and maybe a video of the engine when it's all together and running.

Comment

my front mount is toast. what brand of mount/filler should i get?or what to do for a temp?
                        back at it again

Comment

mcmasters 94a i believe is what most people use to fill their mounts.

Me, i got the energy bushing insert but first i filled it with urethane and then put the insert in to make it stiffer, cause otherwise the urethane doesnt have that much to adhere to

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                            mcmasters 94a i believe is what most people use to fill their mounts.

Me, i got the energy bushing insert but first i filled it with urethane and then put the insert in to make it stiffer, cause otherwise the urethane doesnt have that much to adhere to
                            cool.

dan (granitecb7) told to get the prothane insert kit for my car cuz he is getting it and he likes it.
                            back at it again

Comment

Originally posted by i-07
                              cool.

dan (granitecb7) told to get the prothane insert kit for my car cuz he is getting it and he likes it.
                              Correction, I have Prothane suspension bushings all around but not any inserts. The McMaster's setup is super cheap/effective and lasts for a very long time. So, I suggested McMaster, not Prothane for the mounts!

Comment

Working...
                              X