Car Won't Start - Used to turn over, but not anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Won't Start - Used to turn over, but not anymore

(Cliff notes of where I'm at now are below)

Background: I pulled my car out and realized I left something, so I parked, turned it off, and got what I needed. When I came back out and tried to start my car, it wouldn't start. This was a cold night, probably below 20F. It would turn over, but not start.

I had a near full tank of gas (minus 2 or 3 gallons) and so I didn't think it was condensation, but when it didn't start the next day, I put heet in there incase something was frozen. I waited another day till it was 35-40F and tried starting, but no luck. It would still turn over (engine rotated) but no start.

I checked for a spark and didn't get one. I was at school and without a garage or any place above 25F where I could work on it so I took it to a shop and they told me that the ignition coil and igniter needed to be replaced. They wanted $900 for that and so I knew that I'd rather just tow it home and fix it myself.

Current situation, cliff notes:
    1. Replaced ignitor and ignition coil
    2. Engine is not turning over anymore
    2a. Have tried jumping it
    2b. Clutch is pressed while trying to start
    2c. Car is inside a garage at temperatures above freezing

I have checked and the ignitor is getting proper voltages from what I can tell. Also, I believe the wiring was put back on correctly and so I don't think that is an issue, but it is a possibility.

I need to get the engine to turn over and am a bit confused on what to do next. I do have a Hayne's manual and so between that and Google and this forum, I've been looking around and spending time, but need some guidance on what to do next. Any one want to take a stab at this?

Will the car power up at all such as all the lights on the instrument panel and such? If not check main fuse. Id say the one for the battery i think.

Comment

Originally posted by vtec93accord
      Will the car power up at all such as all the lights on the instrument panel and such? If not check main fuse. Id say the one for the battery i think.
      Yes, it does light up, and I have checked the fuses, they're all good.

Comment

just a quick thing to check here... the one wire to your starter that engages it.. make sure its plugged in. that is the first thing that came to mind for right now..

Originally posted by Devergote
        A CB7 with an H22, a clean paintjob, HIDs with a projector retrofit, some nice wheels, and a mild drop on H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks... that's the perfect car. I'd be happy with that for the rest of my life.

Comment

Is the starter ok? I had my starter go out, it was cranking slow and.... dead
          wat?

Comment

Does it just go "click" when you turn it round to start?
            Could be starter, also did you put the dizzy back in the right way, because it can be put back in 180 degrees out.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7
              Is the starter ok? I had my starter go out, it was cranking slow and.... dead
              It was ok about 3 or 4 days ago, and I assume it still is, but just might not be getting power. I need to check the cables going to it and will do that tomorrow morning.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
                Does it just go "click" when you turn it round to start?
                Could be starter, also did you put the dizzy back in the right way, because it can be put back in 180 degrees out.
                Hmm... don't remember a click sound.

I'll check about the way we put the distributor back in, I'm not 100% sure about that.

These are good points you guys are making and so I really appreciate that.

Comment

If you have a multi-meter just check for voltage if it is there its the starter.
                  Last edited by customchord; 01-20-2008, 03:03 PM.
                  -1991 Honda Accord LX H22a-

Comment

Working...
                  X