car wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car wont start

OK we got the coupe, and changed the head gasket, put new oil and oil filter on, The guys have tried everything, and it still wont start.

they have changed the ecu, ignition coil, it does have spark, it does have compression. it is getting fuel.

What else could it be.

It acts like it wants to turn over, but just doesnt start up..

HURRY BECAUSE WE ARE OUT IN THE RAIN!!!!
    Last edited by tn_accords; 01-29-2008, 07:50 PM.

Originally posted by Devergote
    A CB7 with an H22, a clean paintjob, HIDs with a projector retrofit, some nice wheels, and a mild drop on H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks... that's the perfect car. I'd be happy with that for the rest of my life.

1) Where did you test for spark?

2) Where did you check for fuel?

3) Does it crank over or not? This means, the battery gives the battery enough power to activate the starter to crank the motor over physically, but it does not fire up. You're explanation was vague.

4) Since you did a headgasket replacement, did you reinstall everything? Ground on thermostat housing installed? Did you exclude anything on purpose?

5) What compression #'s per cylinder?
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Check the ground for the ecu that attaches/ is bolted to the thermostat housing really
      easy to miss when doing heads or intake manifolds.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
      member ride thread
      11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
      DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
      People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
      I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
      John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Did it turn over at all?

Check all of your grounds, and check the cables at the battery terminals.

If you took the dizzy off, you might have messed up the firing order (put the spark plug wires in the wrong places on the dizzy), or you might have twisted the dizzy so far off that your ignition timing is way off, which could make it hard to start/not start at all.
        1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Sorry I didnt mean to post on Jacobs name, I didnt know it was still under his name, I thought it was mine.

Jacob can post on here more things. They checked all the groundings, and everything. I guess we are just going to do a whole motor swap.

Nicole
          MY RIDE

Yes, I am a chick!!!!!

Comment

We replaced the head gasket which included doing the following... had to swap over the intakes and exhaust manifolds, dizzy, coil, cam, and rocker assembly, power steering w/bracket. i think thats it..

So that is all we messed with. Just did a simple head gasket procedure. Timing belt was replaced at the same time and it is in time.. i checked and rechecked and had somebody else check it.

ok.. here it is ... i going to tell you everything that we have checked or have tested with parts off of my car and other running cars there.

Checked : Timing.. at the crank then at the cams and even at the flywheel and then checked to see if the dizzy was at #1. ALL GOOD HERE.

Checked : ALL GROUNDS.. thermostat, valve cover, next to battery. ALL FUSES .. u/h and u/d . ALL GOOD HERE.

Checked : for SPARK ... took all wires out and checked with the plugs in them.. also checked the coil all good and we even swapped it out with the one on my car no difference there.

Checked : Fuel.. main relay working fine.. we swapped it out with the one in my car and i put the one in the coupe into my car and its still running. Took the fuel line off the rail and checked for fuel. ALL GOOD... took the spark plug out and smelled fuel on the plugs.. after primering several times. Fuel pump is working just fine. ALL GOOD IN FUEL.

Checked : ECU .. checked to see if any cel's. It has a SOLID CEL.. so I replaced the ecu and no change. Don't really know anything else about that cel.

OK.. we have no compression tester but you can here it out the exhaust.. its like it wants to start just don't have that extra umph..

Here are my questions right now. ..

1. Does it matter what ECU is used because the car is an Auto.. can we use a manual ecu on it ???

2. Since we had to swap the cam over to the new head .. do we have to set the valve lash ?? because both heads were A6 heads.. everything was torqued down to specs. would that be a cause of not starting ??

3. This damn car has an alarm system on it ... or its in the car.. i am not sure if it is hooked up or has power going to it but would it stop the car from starting .. because we are getting spark, fuel, and all that so what should I look for in the alarm ??? can I just rip the alarm wiring and the black box out and that should solve that ???

ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE HELPFUL... thanks to everybody so far for helping us !!

A CB7 with an H22, a clean paintjob, HIDs with a projector retrofit, some nice wheels, and a mild drop on H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks... that's the perfect car. I'd be happy with that for the rest of my life.

Comment

The ecu being auto or manual shouldnt matter, my chipped p06 was an auto when i had the h23/f22 setup with an auto, and it ran d112crzy's car who was 5speed.

The Pt3 that i handed nicole on thursday is an auto. it also ran my h22 which is 5speed....

Check shopkey5.com and see how much voltage the ecu is suppose to be getting and check it with a voltmeter...

but if you are getting spark and fuel as well as compression, that bitch should run.
              get a compression tester on loan-a-tool from autozone... and possibly try that....
              double check the firing order (stupid i know) but give that a shot.

did you change the ignitor?

shit why do i always go blank on this stuff....

Comment

yeah.... David is off tomorrow so he is going to tag along with me and go to some junkyards early in the morning and then head to towards nashville and he is going to bring his compression tester.

checked the firing order and so did everybody else with book in hand !!

i can't find my damn voltmeter .. grrr..

Comment

Originally posted by 90Cb7sleeper
                  The ecu being auto or manual shouldnt matter, my chipped p06 was an auto when i had the h23/f22 setup with an auto, and it ran d112crzy's car who was 5speed.

The Pt3 that i handed nicole on thursday is an auto. it also ran my h22 which is 5speed....

Check shopkey5.com and see how much voltage the ecu is suppose to be getting and check it with a voltmeter...

but if you are getting spark and fuel as well as compression, that bitch should run.
                  get a compression tester on loan-a-tool from autozone... and possibly try that....
                  double check the firing order (stupid i know) but give that a shot.

did you change the ignitor?

shit why do i always go blank on this stuff....
                  Don't worry, you're not the only one stumped, lol. I've been thinking on it since 11 this morning and can't come up with anything.

I was thinking maybe it could be the alarm, but if it had a ignition disable function they wouldn't be getting spark....

- Rob -
                  92 Auto Sedan - "Rustoration"
                  85 Toyota 4Runner
                  1977 Kawasaki KZ1000/ZX6/10R Hybrid
                  2008 HD 1200N
                  2009 HD 883N

Comment

Yeah i wasnt aware that it had an alarm. my grand prick alarm had that feature, but it simply did not supply power to the starter....

That solid CEL has me bumfuggled... with atleast 2 known good ecu's present in the car...

It could possibly be the Auto shit messing with it...

But i dont know i never had any problems like this with my auto....

i think jacob said that he didnt have a blinking d4 light...

I dunno wtf is up with this thing...

Comment

Did you guys try to pull the code the CEL was putting out? That seems like where you'd find the most info. If two known good ecu's throw the code, then it means they both have the same problem, most likely something isn't plugged in or something.

If you did pull it, and I didn't see where you mentioned it, ignore me.

EDIT: After re-reading, do you mean you jumped the plug and then you had a solid CEL? Do you get a CEL if the plug isn't jumped?

Comment

man im having like the same exact issue..

i got spark/fuel/and compression just wont start. If i find out anything I will definetly make a post and see if it helps you out to.

My s13 Ride Thread>>><<<My Rx7 Ride Thread "What is power without control?"
                        New people click here

Comment

Originally posted by benji
                          Did you guys try to pull the code the CEL was putting out? That seems like where you'd find the most info. If two known good ecu's throw the code, then it means they both have the same problem, most likely something isn't plugged in or something.

If you did pull it, and I didn't see where you mentioned it, ignore me.

EDIT: After re-reading, do you mean you jumped the plug and then you had a solid CEL? Do you get a CEL if the plug isn't jumped?

yes...the SOLID CEL means that its a code 0 which means something wrong with the ecu or the lack of power to the ecu.

Comment

Originally posted by tn_accords
                            yes...the SOLID CEL means that its a code 0 which means something wrong with the ecu or the lack of power to the ecu.
                            Right.

Try unplugging the following, one at a time, and see if the CEL goes out.
                            1. MAP Sensor
                            2. EGR valve sensor
                            3. Throttle Position Sensor.

If that kills the light, you've found the problem.

If not, then you need to look at page 11-54 of a manual I am going to post in a few minutes, cause I can't explain it very well, and I don't want to type it all out.

EDIT: here is the link, it's a SM for a Prelude, but it applies cause the Prelude S had a F22A: Prelude Service Manual

Troubleshooting the ECU starts on 11-50, but you've already gone through most of it.

Good luck!
                            Last edited by benji; 01-30-2008, 12:13 AM.

Comment

ok ..thanks.. i didn't have a book and couldn't remember everything.. plus it was raining today so it was kinda hurry and try something. i have that manual printed out but it was here and not where the car was.... LOL.. going to try and get the car here tomorrow where we have more tools and can look stuff up on the net at the same time.

i appreciate your help.. will keep this updated !! but for now.. its lights out !!

Comment

Working...
                              X