ENG: Valve removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Valve removal

Caution:Improper Removal and Installation of these components can and will cause damage to your engine, There for i am not responsable for any damages caused by improper removal and installation.

Another note this was preformed on a DOHC Vtec Head and may be simaler to the DOHC non-vtec and sohc non vtec instrustions

Tools Needed:
    Small Flat head screw drive the smaller the better
    10MM allen Wrench
    Valve spring compressor(can be found at your local auto parts stores)
    Philips Screw driver
    This will also help those of you wanting to know how to remove your valve springs and retainers.

Step 1: Remove cam(s).

Steps 2-5 can be done with the head off the engine which is the way i did it but i recommend you do it with the head still on the block it will give you better leverage when breaking the Rocker shaft seals loose.

Step 2:Use the 10MM allen wrench and remove the Rocker Shaft Seals

Step 3:Stick the Phlilips Screw Driver in the end of the Rocker shaft and pop the Intake and Exhaust Rocker shaft Orifice's outNote:The intake and exhaust orifice's are different shapes at the top so make sure you done get them mixed up.(this is just for Dohc models)

Step 4:Thread in an 12mm bolt thats long enough for you to pull on(I used a Head bolt)Note:Mark the rockers because they only go in one way what i did was mark I4A I4B I4C for the intake and E41 E42 E43 for the EXhaust etc for the different cylinders.

You can kinda see it in the pic below

Step 5:Slow slide out the rocker shaft removing the rockers as you go.Note: Make sure you done loose vtec plug(I dont know what its really called lol)

Step 6:Remove Head From engine.

WARNING: The Valve springs are under highpressure so wear eye protection.

I don't have any picturs of the Next step I forgot to take some.

Step 7: Use the Valve spring compressor to compress the valve and take the flat head screw driver to remove the keepersNote: if you do not have the valve spring compressed far enough and the keepers dont just fall out with a nudge of the screw driver dont force the keepers out if you do it will more then likly be sent flying across the room(happened to me a few times, luckily I was just in my bed room lol so I found it easily)

Step 8: With the keepers out remove the Valve spring compressor and remove the Retainer and Valve spring(s).

Step 9:Remove the Valve.

Congratulation you just removed a valve WOOT! now you have 15 to go

installation is the opposite of removal and i recommend using grease for this reinstallation to hold the retainer clips in place.

Thanks for Reading My DIY and i hope it helps you.

Almostjdm aka Mychal

its way past due for me to add some of my knowladge to the site in the form of a DIY
    Last edited by almostJDM; 04-12-2008, 01:54 AM.

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
    1992 Accord EX Coupe
    My FS Thread
    Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

with the f22's, there's only about 45 on the seat so one can easily use your own body weight to compress it.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

And having a magnet close to the valve is handy when removing the clips (collets) that hold the springs in, so that you dont lose them

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

it's actually called valve locks or keepers.
        I <3 G60.

Comment

Ive seen some crackheads use a hammer and socket to take off the valve spring. I love engines class lol.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

wow FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
            1992 Accord EX Coupe
            My FS Thread
            Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
            Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
              Ive seen some crackheads use a hammer and socket to take off the valve spring. I love engines class lol.
              that's what I've done. Works like a charm. It's best to have the head off the engine tho, the keepers like to fall into the oil passages.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                i did it the same way on my H head.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                Current cars:
                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

ok i got a question.... when I bought my head my rockers were already off... so I dunno which is which... can u show me a picture of the difference and label which is which?
                  Member's Ride Thread

Don't forget to cut holes in the box. Someone sent me a dead hooker one time, and that wasn't cool.
                  Bought From: AccordWarrior | CB7lx91 | DarkShadow707| Tn_Accords | H23CB7 | Jack_lee | Fatboy1185
                  Sold/Gave To: 90goldcoupe | CB7lx91 | Jas_r34 | F20accordturbo | BatmannamtaB

Comment

Haha that was the first time I have seen someone do that literally. Usually I am accustomed to the tool to do it "properly"

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by Shay91Racer
                      ok i got a question.... when I bought my head my rockers were already off... so I dunno which is which... can u show me a picture of the difference and label which is which?
                      if you are looking at the exhaust ports (smaller valves), the combustion chamber all the way to the right is the number one piston.
                      I <3 G60.

Comment

Working...
                      X