ENG: Header wrap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Header wrap!

So, I just finished a big article in the performance tech forum about the importance of header wrap, if you don't believe me, or understand, go read it. But I also promised a DIY on how to, in case it was scaring anyone , so here goes.

Materials needed:
    50' header wrap
    Stapler
    2 3" diameter worm drive (hose) clamps
    Gloves

1.) Purchase header wrap. I bought mine at Alamo Motorsports for $35 shipped. The 1" by 50' roll (part # 11001) is plenty for most headers. Here is the link to the wrap. Click here.

2.) First, wear gloves when handling, it is like fiberglass and will irritate your skin. Remove and cut off about 10'. I wrapped my Megan Header for an F22, this was about how much each runner required.

3.) The package said to moisten (not soak) in water to make it easier to work with, I didn't and had no problems.

4.) Start at the top (cylinder head) end of the first runner. Make one complete loop with the wrap, and pull it. Use one hand to hold that loop in place, you will need to keep holding until the wrap develops enough friction it won't spin.

5.) Continue to wrap down the header. Be sure to pull very tight as you go. I overlapped about 1/8" and it worked great.

6.) When you reach the bottom of the runner, continue to hold with one hand, while with the other hand, staple the loose end of the wrap onto itself. This is a temporary hold till the clamp is attached.

7.) Repeat 4-6 for the second runner.

8.) At this point cut about two feet of wrap and overlap both the runners and continue down to the flange (I wrapped a 4-2-1 header, if doing a 4-1, wrap all four runners before doing this step). Then open the worm drive clamp all the way, and secure it at the bottom of the wrap, so it holds it all in place and make sure its tight.

9.) Repeat 4-8 for the second set of runners.

There you go, your wrapped and ready to be efficient. I performed this with the header out of the car, it could be done in car, but will be more difficult. It took my about 30 minutes.

The header wrap will smoke for the first ten minutes or so, don't worry, it's curing. Once cured, it will be a nice silvery color and hold in place fairly well on its own. Thermo-Tec also makes snap clamps for the wrap, but I didn't feel like spending the money.

Good luck!!

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Excellent write up, and Ithought your job looked nice when I read the other post you made about the benefits. I've always been a fan of unwrapped headers, but since mine were manhandled and have had the original owners greasy handprints baked into the finish so they didn't blue nice and pretty, I might go ahead and wrap them. A little power boost and yours look damn nice, they just say "serious about this here ish".

Comment

i think i might wrap mine up as well since it gets pretty dang hot in there.

Comment

Good write up, and although you did not have to soak yours in water or moisten it, I had to when I did mine, as it was a total pita to deal with. Thus, if anyone is attempting this and having problems, I highly recommend either soaking it in water or getting it wet first. When mine dried, it dried in place as well, which was very nice.
        2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
        2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

Visualpoet and Leung: Thanks
          Chessboxer: Yea, it depends I imagine, it probably would have helped me, but I was being lazy. Thanks!

Comment

No problem good sir.
            The first time I ever wrapped my charge pipes, I did not soak them, and all of that dust like stuff came off of the wrap and got all over my engine bay. When I soaked it first, I had no dust come off of the wrap, which was nice for keeping the engine clean.
            2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
            2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

i have wanted to do this for a long time but was scared how to secure the wrap and where to buy it. 3 questions

1 did you not have to secure the top part of the wrap to the header? the part where there is 4 tube coming from the head.

2 would wrapping some of the down pipe help on heating?

3 do you notice a difference in how hot your engine bay is now? like is a big difference?
              Maple50175 - you're annoying =P
              Brandoncb7 - I don't mean to come across like an ass but I see why you irritate Aaron now.
              JoshM - Crotch rocket = chick magnet.

Comment

wrapping a header is great for keeping engine temps down but at the same time decreases the life of your header by putting more heat and stress on it. Over time it'll develop heat spots where it'll weaken and leave it prone to cracking.

Nice write up though, just letting people though so they understand the consequences.
                Last edited by ikayto; 07-04-2008, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slick View Post
                  i have wanted to do this for a long time but was scared how to secure the wrap and where to buy it. 3 questions

1 did you not have to secure the top part of the wrap to the header? the part where there is 4 tube coming from the head.

2 would wrapping some of the down pipe help on heating?

3 do you notice a difference in how hot your engine bay is now? like is a big difference?
                  1. No, you can look at my sig pic. I just wrapped it over on itself, and made sure to keep tension on the wrap as I continued down, and the friction held it after about 4 wraps.

2. Certainly it will help some, but whether its worth it? I dont know.

3. Hard to say if the bay is hotter or not, but I do notice that the area around my headers is less hot, so by inference, yes it is less hot. Pretty significantly too!

Biggest thing: don't be scared, it's not like its 500 bucks wasted if you can't make it work. Its not a big deal. Go for it!

Comment

thanks alot. this is a great write up. hope to do this asap. i just put my headers in so ill have to do it while there in the car. hope it goes well. PEACE

MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by oranger View Post
                      1. No, you can look at my sig pic. I just wrapped it over on itself, and made sure to keep tension on the wrap as I continued down, and the friction held it after about 4 wraps.

2. Certainly it will help some, but whether its worth it? I dont know.

3. Hard to say if the bay is hotter or not, but I do notice that the area around my headers is less hot, so by inference, yes it is less hot. Pretty significantly too!

Biggest thing: don't be scared, it's not like its 500 bucks wasted if you can't make it work. Its not a big deal. Go for it!

ok thanks for the info. i have seen people who wrap their headers have some sort of tie or clamp at the top of the header thats why i asked. i will be doing this asap.
                      Maple50175 - you're annoying =P
                      Brandoncb7 - I don't mean to come across like an ass but I see why you irritate Aaron now.
                      JoshM - Crotch rocket = chick magnet.

Comment

I just called my local parts store to get a quote on header wrap, and was wonderig if there wa a special way of wrapping it. I love when things work out like this.

very nice write up sir!

btw your sig looks secksy as hell

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Originally posted by CB7lx91 View Post
                          I just called my local parts store to get a quote on header wrap, and was wonderig if there wa a special way of wrapping it. I love when things work out like this.

very nice write up sir!

btw your sig looks secksy as hell
                          Thanks! Yea I like it.

No, just how I described. Just remember to pull on the wrap as your wrapping it around to keep it tight, thats all.

Thanks to all!

Comment

I just purchased a roll of 1" x 50' of header wrap from my local Napa, and I asked about the clamps and they said you don't need it. If you wrap it tight enough, when it cures it doesn't need to be clamped. So I guess I'll just do it that way, until It falls off or something haha

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Originally posted by CB7lx91 View Post
                              I just purchased a roll of 1" x 50' of header wrap from my local Napa, and I asked about the clamps and they said you don't need it. If you wrap it tight enough, when it cures it doesn't need to be clamped. So I guess I'll just do it that way, until It falls off or something haha
                              Yup you'll probably need to clamp the bottom, at least till it cures. I left mine on because they are hardly noticeable and I don't want to risk it.

Comment

Working...
                              X