ENG: Valve Adjustment VIDEO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Valve Adjustment VIDEO!

Found on youtube thanks to EricTheCarGuy. Shows a pretty good idea of how to adjust your own valves and save the 100 or so bucks a mechanic would normally charge you. He only does the adjustment on one cylinder, on the intake side, so just repeat and use the necessary feeler gauges for the intake and exhaust for the other cylinders in the PROPER sequence, 1-3-4-2. Hopefully a video tutorial will help a lot of people vs. the conventional Haynes or Chiltons manuals.

Last edited by Losiracer2; 01-27-2015, 12:06 AM.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

great video very helpful considering im fixing to be doin this today....
    Members Ride sold...
    I'm back...... with a coupe. oh boy here we go.

Comment

ahh sweet, i've had new felpro seals for like 6 months, now i can do this. i was wondering how to turn the engine over easily, i like how he did it. i'm doing this tommorow!
      right on thanks.

1992 Accord EX MT : CB#2
      DIY OEM amber corners w/reflectors

Comment

Nice! I like how he pulls the valve cover off, then flips it over and says "oops!" when he drops the valve cover bolts down into the engine bay.

Comment

nice find

Comment

That was a good helpful vid. I wouldnt do this myself. lol
            Freedom Is Not Free
            U.S Army 02/08 Medically Discharged

Comment

2 bad he didn't do it on an H22. That would've been way more interesting. Or I should say difficult.

My swap thread
              Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

nice find. very helpful for people who never did this.
                cb007
                first cb wit full LED taillight retrofit

Comment

would this be the same for an h22...well i know ima have to use diffrent feeler gauges...but is it prety much the same thing?...plz pm me with the answer...thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rubennebur View Post
                    would this be the same for an h22...well i know ima have to use diffrent feeler gauges...but is it prety much the same thing?...plz pm me with the answer...thanks

The procedure is the same, but it's 10 times more difficult do to the head design and location of the valves. Maybe it's easier using the long feeler gauges, but you cannot do the job with a typical box end wrench. I was able to do the job using the special tool he showed in the video, but it was still very difficult with the feeler gauges I have.

My swap thread
                    Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92 View Post
                      The procedure is the same, but it's 10 times more difficult do to the head design and location of the valves. Maybe it's easier using the long feeler gauges, but you cannot do the job with a typical box end wrench. I was able to do the job using the special tool he showed in the video, but it was still very difficult with the feeler gauges I have.
                      I wouldn't say 10x more difficult. I mean you have 2 cams so the ex. and in. valves are for each cam instead of both on 1 cam. But I'm thinking it might be easier w/ professional, longer feeler gauges meant for Honda engine vs. those 3 dollar ones you can buy at the Checker or Autozone. I'm sure they're not that much more expensive, and you'll still be saving money buying those longer feeler gauges then paying someone else to do it.

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

i would prob do this myself if i get that stick thingy

Originally posted by Uncle Willey
                        When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

alright tyhen tanks

Comment

I've done both f22's and h22's. To save you time on it do this: do what he says for the intake and the exhaust for just 1 valve each. now mark with something the direction of the cut were the flat head goes, losten the nut again and tighten it till to goes touches the valve stem (effectivly .000mm) mark it again. I find that usually it's about 90deg. i'll then losten every single nut so i can make quick adjustments. I'll move that one valve back to were it was, tighten it down and then do the other one. I'll tighten it down then twist it that 90deg (maybe less maybe more) and tighten it back up. and then i just continue just as he says but i won't use a feeler guage for the last 14. Never had a problem and it always works out good and quiet.

the reason why it's so much harder one a h22 is that the valve stem head and rocker arm are so deep in the head its just hard to get to and feel for that drag.
                            WTB:
                            88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
                            OR
                            90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

Working...
                            X