• Show
Clear All

ENG: Replacing Starter

Tools:
    12mm socket
    14mm socket
    17mm socket
    Ratchet

This isn’t hard to do at all but again, do it at your own risk…if you manage to blow up your car while doing this it is not my fault…so now, on to the DIY

1. Disconnect the battery (if you don’t know how to do this, stop right now and go back into your cave)

2. Disconnect the clip (top circle) and remove the bolt the is connected to the battery (bottom circle)

3. Remove the two bolts that hold the starter to the tranny and the starter should fall right off

4. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Originally posted by fizzbob7
    first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
    Originally posted by ACC0RD22
    no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
    So. Cal OUTLAWZ

note: for the automatics, the two bolts that hold it on are 14mm's. for the manuals, one is 14mm and the other is a 17mm.

nice DIY, just the first pic is hard to see. but its not hard to figure out, disconnect the two wires... the small black one pulls off, and the heavy one comes off when u remove the nut.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

how would it blow up?

thanks though..
      hahahahah

Comment

Thats it??? take it off and bolt new one on???

Wow, Honda charged me $350 to replace a starter, next time I'm hitting the junkyard......

nice DIY with nice pics!!

Great achievements result from great effort

Comment

whoa! you got screwed...thats why i started doing stuff on my own cuz labor is what kills and not necessarily the price of the items...the starter cost me about ~$50 new

So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

Do you guys have an estimate as to when a starter would poop out?

MY OEM one has lasted about 88k and now has recently started to throw in the white flag.
            hahahahah

Comment

i think if you buy them at auto zone you get a lifetime warranty...just get it from there and you dint have to worry about buying another one...but they due tend to last a while

So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

damn, this is easier than an oil change it seems...but not cheaper

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2
                  damn, this is easier than an oil change it seems...but not cheaper
                  Hey man, i was paying around $70-80 for an oil change at Jiffy Lube. But since summer is coming, is time to do it myself. so in my case, replacing a starter is cheaper than a oil change.

How would i know if my starter needs to be replaced (besides the car not starting -- mine starts, just curious)
                  Member's Page:: Coming Soon

Comment

Originally posted by bishpuppy
                    Hey man, i was paying around $70-80 for an oil change at Jiffy Lube.
                    Is that dollars or yen?! For that kinda money you better be getting the "full service" if you know what I mean
                    To-Do List for Today
                    Be Awesome

Comment

full service? HA i wish.
                      but seriously, how would i know if my starter needs to be replaced. Only reason i ask is because, my car, when you start it, u hear the engine crack it starts and then shuts off and i have to re do the whole starting part and it starts on the 2nd try [usually when is cold].

I'm going to replace the Battery and Spark Plugs just in case, but i'm not sure if that would be consider as my starter is going bad.
                      Member's Page:: Coming Soon

Comment

i cant believe there is actually a diy for this

the build and demise
                        buy stuff i want a new car

Comment

starters are cake in most cases. My friend and I swapped one in my mr2, but the bottom bolt was a biatch to get to. had to do it from the bottom.

the bolts were on tight so the best advice I can possible give you is to buy a breaker bar. or if you're too cheap (like me) find a foot long steel rod or tube that you can put over the ratcher/wrench handle, and that will give you increased leverage (simple physics) and the bolt that you thought was impossible to loosen, will be off in 2 seconds!

we struggled for 2 days trying to muscle it off! we were idiots, it took us 2 seconds after we realized what we could do with a ghetto breaker bar!
                          1993 Honda Accord EX-R Coupe Granada Black Pearl
                          ///Alpine CDA-9847 Head Unit
                          OBX Pedals, stock air box, Ebay headers, Stock dual tipped muffler. Emblems removed, grill chrome painted black.

1993 Kawasaki EX500 Flat Black. First Bike.

Comment

NOT easier than oil change.....

Just a note, as simple as the proceedure may be, replacing the starter can still be a beyotch.

If you have A/C, the task is a bit harder because the A/C lines are in the way and give you that much LESS room to turn your breaker bar on the bottom bolt.

Also, as mentioned, some cars will have two 14mm bolts, and others, like my 91 EX manual with a MITSUBA starter, have a 14mm bolt on top, and a BEYOTCH 17mm bolt on the bottom. That bottom bolt is a killer. You REALLY need a breaker bar and a pipe or something for extra leverage, and maybe even some PB blaster for that bolt if it's never been removed for the life of the car before.

Also, I found even with all that knowledge, there STILL wasn't enough room to get enough arc for the breaker bar to even budge the lower 17mm bolt because there's a long skinny 10mm bolt in the way. The starter has 2 long 10mm bolts that bolt in from the left side and bridge their way across the length of the starter all the way into the starter base. You'll have to remove the top 10mm long bolt anyway because it also holds a radiator hose bracket that you'll need to transplant onto your new starter. Go ahead and also remove the BOTTOM 10mm long bolt as well. This will give you just enough more clearance that you'll need to get enough arc to move that lower 17mm BEYOTCH BOLT.

I Hope this additional info helps others out. I had to learn it the hard way.
                            Last edited by BlackPearl2006; 11-02-2007, 11:56 AM.
                            My Ride (Click here)

Comment

I havent had any issues taking mine out hitting the AC lines??? I used a deep socket and a mini extension (forgot) and I had anough clearance to break the bolt then went at it with a 3/8 drive socket. Snap on flex head breaker bar = win.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              I piss off people for fun.
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                              X