ENG: Fuel Filter Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found pics of the bolt on the fuel rail, HERE

Im just curious as to whether or not i can hold a rag/finger over the fuel feed line. I dunno if that'll effect pressure at all or if youre supposed to allow fuel to come out of it...

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

:EDIT:

Is it also necessary to replace the washer on the fuel rail bolt? The filter i bought only came with the 2 washers for the bolt on the filter.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.

Comment

Why would you want to play with the fuel rail bolt. Thats practically useless. All it does is make whatever pressure is left shoot out of there. I dont see why that place added taht step. Just crack open the bolts on the filter and gas will shoot out of there. Just have towels ready to catch it. Opening up the fuel rail bolt is just an un needed extra step.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Thats what i figured. I just figured the more pressure i could relieve, the better, but...

I tried to tackle this before it got dark, but had no luck. I didnt have a 17mm of any kind(had to borrow a socket from a neighbor) and i dont have a 10mm open-end wrench, but i managed to get a socket wrench in there with a short extension. Hopefully i'll be able to get that back on, but i dont see why not.

Comment

took me less then 30 minutes to do this following the DIY, all you need is to make sure you have the tools and you shouldn't have big problems. wow did it make a difference in mileage. figures, since i've never changed it for about 60k miles went from 300 miles to a tank, to over 400 now

Comment

Well, i got out there just to see how hard it would be and what not, and come to find out, i didnt even the 17mm or any open-end wrenches AT ALL. So..i managed to scrounge up a 17mm socket and 14mm open-end and im gonna tackle this tomorrow.

I changed it when i bought the car 2.5yrs ago(about 42k miles), so....It needed to be done, but we'll see what it does for my mileage.

Comment

I just changed mine a couple of months ago and it took me about 45 min (blame the add ) I didnt remove the intake tube. If i remember correct, i used a 17mm crowsfoot to remove the bolt. Also i removed the service bolt on the fuel rail. In total I lost maybe 3 or 4 ozs of gas. (I had a small paint mixing cup lying around) A lot easier then trying to hook them fast. Also if your filter came with a third smaller washer thats for the fuel rail bolt. I just reused my old one(flipped it) cuz I didn't get one. Its easier if you follow the haynes Thats all the details I remember (ADD again )
                1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Great write up. Just got mine changed using this Thanks.

Comment

hey nice diy i love it but would a fuel filter make my car sputter if clogged up and shit ?
                    ty speeeeeeeeeeeeddddd
                    Originally posted by deevergote
                    This thread is over a year old, you fucking retard.
                    i dont know why this popped up but U MAD BRO? not my fault u is FAKE! CLOWN ASS

Comment

Excellent write up
                      I used it along with this video

That 14mm is something serious, especially working around the fuel lines. Flare nut wrench rounded the bolt, but a vice grip did the trick. It was very simple apart from that. Saved $60 right there, and that's after acquiring a few more tools for the box (flare nut wrench + vice grip)

Comment

Working...
                      X