ENG: Clutch Slave Cylinder Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Clutch Slave Cylinder Rebuild

Ok I rebuilt my clutch slave cylinder this morning. You may ask...but a new one is like $20...why rebuilt? Simple...this rebuild is about as easy as replacing your brake pads...if not easier.
    And while a new slave costs $20, this kit cost like $10

Here's how it goes.

Tool list:
    10mm flare nut wrench
    OR 10mm open end wrench

12mm deep socket
    ratchet
    10mm shallow socket

8mm open end wrench

rebuild kit...see pic

2-3 bit honing tool (brake cylinder hone)
    (11/16" - 2 1/2" [17.4mm - 63.5mm] )
    {I haven't measured the inner diameter but this one worked perfectly}

air gun with rubber tip
    long bar
    vacula (to pull brake fluid out of line thus flushing lines)
    SOS pad (or equivalent)
    gasoline
    new or used toothbrush (depends on your budget)
    power drill/screwdriver (LOW setting is a must)

First this what your kit should include

Next you'll want to locate the slave cylinder off. It is located on the passenger side, just behind the pass. side radiator fan, attached to the tranny, and touching the clutch fork. Facing the car...that's your left. It is also directly left of the dog bone motor mount (when facing the car).

It made it loads easier on me to access the slave cylinder by taking off the pass. side fan to gain access to the slave cylinder.

STEP 1
    To do this you'll need your shallow 10mm, take off two top bolts and one bottom bolt. You will also need to remove the 6 bolts that hold the radiator in place to wiggle it around so you can get the fan out.

Once the fan is out of the way, if using a vacula or similar vacuum device, connect your hose to the bleeder valve. If not using such device then it's a good idea to connect a hose anyway...keeps the fluid from hitting paint.

STEP 2
    You will want to flush out the old fluid. I haven't done this on my system...ever...so I got some gray/black fluid. If using the vacula (or similar) connect the hose to the bleeder, turn on, lightly unscrew the bleeder using your 8mm. There are two options here

I. Flush with old slave still on
    II. Pull off the old slave and flush the line without it on
    Either way once you get clear fluid you will pull ALL the fluid out

for I, just connect your hose, and
    a. turn on the vacula

Open the the bleeder via 8mm wrench, do so only at a rate you will be able to keep up with, refilling the reservoir as it empties. Do this until it runs clean.
    Tighten the bleeder valve.

b. pump the clutch pedal, keeping track of your fluid levels. Keep refilling and pumping until you get clear fluid.

let out the bleeder valve using your 8mm wrench. It should bleed via gravity a little...push the clutch pedal in once or twice...making sure to refill the reservoir. Repeat until the fluid runs clean.

For II
    Remove slave (see below)
    Attach your hose to the hanging line. Follow procedures outlined above.

Debate:
    I can see the benefit of taking off the slave then flushing, so you aren't pulling fluid through a dirty slave...but I had no problems getting mine clean. It did take about 3-4 resv. refills to do so. But again, mine hasn't been flushed...ever.

CONTINUE:

REMOVAL OF SLAVE:

STEP 3
    Now that that the fan is out of the way, you will want to remove the hydraulic line feeding the slave cylinder. For this, use your 10mm open end wrench. I used a snap-on wrench designed with teeth to not strip hard to remove fasteners. I had little resistance so a regular 10mm wrench should do, if it feels stiff, use a flare nut wrench.

STEP 4
    Now that the hydraulic line is removed, use your deep 12mm socket and your ratchet. It would be more difficult to clear everything with a shallow...so...save your knuckles, don't try it, use the deep socket

BE CAREFUL, if your boot is horribly nasty and torn completely, when you remove the slave the plunger may shoot off, it's not hard to find but keep an eye on it.

YOU WILL RE-USE THE PLUNGER!!!!

Another possibility, rather unlikely, is that the internals may all shoot out. If you have a rebuild kit this is inconsequential, but make sure you don't poke your eye out

There are two bolts to remove, they are under the slave and are parallel to each other.

STEP 5
    Pull the dust boot from the slave, the plunger should come with it.

STEP 6
    Place your air gun's rubber tip to the inlet of the slave (where the hydraulic line was connected), place your hand over the hole. Apply A LITTLE pressure. This will push the internals out.

Mine had a rust lip on it that prevented the internals (piston and a spring) from popping out. Simply push it back in and air it out. Once pushed in feel free to add some solvent or other cleaner.

Repeat step 6 until the internals come out. BE CAREFUL!!! The pressure created can be VERY dangerous here...shooting out the internals is not a good idea.

here is how the plunger removed and the top of the piston look. Mine were dirty dirty.

How the blowing looks

and it's out

Here you can see where the rust lip is by the change in color from shiny to...well rust.

I should have seen how far I could shoot these...we could start a record breaking thread
    Last edited by bcjammerx; 01-23-2008, 11:28 PM.
    ____

STEP 7
    You will now want to clean this puppy up. Including the inside. Now you don't need to hone this out. I used the honing tool at a very LOW setting with my cordless makita screwdriver. In fact the battery was almost dead. I did it just enough to knock the lip off.

DO NOT HONE THE INTERIOR!!! This will change the diameter, I do not know of any over bore rebuild kits. Keep the rpms SLOW...just do this enough to knock the rust off.

Depending on your level of rust, you may not even need this method. I first tried to use my SOS pad, it worked ok, but not good enough. If your piston comes right out, or you have little to no rust, you will most likely not need the honing tool

I used some purple stuff cleaner along with gasoline to clean the outside. I passed it with the SOS pad as well.

Also clean the plunger. I realized this thing was as thick as some drill bits...so I hooked it into the makita, replaced the battery, and using my SOS pad cleaned it up.

Here it is

And everything cleaned
    Last edited by bcjammerx; 01-23-2008, 11:19 PM.
    ____

Comment

STEP 8
      Let's put it together, first, here is how everything goes together (mock up)

You will need to install the plunger into the boot, the hole in the boot is smaller than the plunger. Use some lubricant (I used a silicon based lubricant) to make this easier and less problematic...guess a loogy would work as well.

I tested the lubricant I used and it caused no problems with brake fluid.

Refer to the mock up pic, the spring should be on the bottom end of the piston (the end with a nipple), the spring tapers down, the tapered down end fits on the piston snug. The other end will not stay on

I also used some of this same lube in between the rubber seals on the piston. This will help to prevent rolling the seals. For the first seal, the one going in first that is, you will want to push the sides of it as you are installing it. This also helps to prevent it from rolling the seals.

You could also apply a little lube to the boot to make it slide over the slave lip as well.

Press everything in, placing the plunger into the concave face of the piston. It will not stay compressed. make sure the bleeder is screwed in, push the plunger down, while still holding the plunger down place your finger over the feed tube. This SHOULD hold the plunger down. Then push the boot over the lip on the slave cylinder body.

If it the plunger does not stay compressed while your finger is on the feed tube, either the bleeder valve is not tightened enough (it should not take more than hand tight) or your piston is not sealing. This is why you do not want to actually hone the interior of the slave.

Here is how it should behave when put together and under the compression test.

here's how it looks all together and at rest. There is some excess lube on my boot.

Here is a comparison shot

STEP 9
      Re-install on car.

Install two 12mm bolts
      Reattach the hydraulic line

Bleed the system

STEP 10
      Bleeding is just like the flushing steps except you will not completely drain the system.

While the steps here are similar, I do not recommend using the vacula (or similar devices) for bleeding of any system. I used it to pull the fluid down. Then I closed the valve.

Next I pumped the clutch, secured the clutch pedal down with a pry bar, released the bleeder valve only enough to compress the slave 3/5's of the way, then tightened. Pull the pedal up, pump...and repeat the steps.

I did this about 3x's.

Overall...this was pretty easy...well worth not buying a new slave.

*STORY*
      Someone bought the clutch master rebuild kit from the oreilly on 80, they also bought the slave kit.

slave kit $10-$13
      master rebuild $27

then they put the slave parts in the master cylinder box and returned them. And made like 10 bucks.

I had this store send the parts to my closer store...where I discovered this error...and had them order me new parts...otherwise I would have had this done a few days ago...grrr
      *END STORY*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next up is the clutch master cylinder
      Last edited by bcjammerx; 01-23-2008, 11:29 PM.
      ____

Comment

Great write-up wish i had known about this a couple years ago.

The Wood grippin' - Mesh spinnin' Accord
        My Ride | Cars from my trip to Japan | Japan II

Comment

great write up saves you $10 bucks plus you get to tinker with your car a win win

Comment

you can reword it and say the same thing vice versa.

"A rebuild kit is ten bucks but you can also buy a brand new one for 20 bucks!"

nonetheless, if i have to wait for somebody or have time to dick around, i guess i can do it in the car with a spare one :o
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Am I the only one seeing red X's as pic's???

My swap thread
              Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

damn it wrong thread...thanks for the move mods!

Still seeing x's? I exceeded my data transfer for yahoo...anyone got a better image hoster then geocities?

With the "new" one...you are most likely just buying a rebuilt anyway. I takes just as long to rebuild as it does to take the slave off the car...it's super easy really. But hey...depends on your preference really...where this REALLY pays off is the clutch master cylinder...I can't find one under $50...the rebuild kit is around 25-28. For me (tight budget) it's a big deal.

Either way, it was kinda fun. Got to use my camera more
                Last edited by bcjammerx; 01-23-2008, 11:04 PM.
                ____

Comment

werd, id definitely do the master.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I'm also moving the pics to photobucket...give me a sec and I'll get 'em
                    ____

Comment

i use imagehak

Ride List
                      1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
                      2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
                      newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

why wouldnt you just buy a new one? arent they like $20?

JDMRIDES.ca

Comment

very nice write up.

myself, I would just go and spend the $20 for a new slave cyl because I'm lazy
                          -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
                          -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                          -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
                          -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Well I guess if you just didn't wanna rebuild cool...I guess.

New one's here are 23-27 and I also have to do the master...can't find one under 52...so for a rebuilt (you won't find a new one) I'd spend $79
                            the way I'm doing it I'll spend $38

If I were to JUST do the slave, I would only buy a new one if there were a core charge. The cost difference is still enough IMO.

79 vs 38 and I get the same quality (that's about $40 less [my prices aren't exact so neither is my difference number]) that's pretty significant...and the quality is the same.

That's how I look at it...I have to take the old one off...and the rebuild takes less time then it took to take it off so you aren't wasting much time.

I'm on a budget so a difference of $40 is a pretty good chunk of change.

But hey...to each his own eh?
                            Last edited by bcjammerx; 01-25-2008, 01:33 AM.
                            ____

Comment

Originally posted by lowakkord
                              why wouldnt you just buy a new one? arent they like $20?
                              lol, I know. Thats what I did on my f22 in the civic. Just went to napa and got a brand new one for about 20 or 25 bucks. Good diy though. If you have the time and wanna save a couple bucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X