No announcement yet.

EXT: Hood Stand-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know old thread but ok what's the real answer to this "MOD" is it good or bad? Rain does most likely go thru the gaps, I mean I'm guessing that when your driving all the air coming towards you goes in to the engine bay since the hood ain't flat down the air got somewhere to go in, o searched google but didn't find a lot but peopl with defferent opinions, honda tech haters the worse!!.

92 Accord Cb7 ^^
    My Ride Thread~~Click Below.
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176232

Comment

Originally posted by AcCoRd91cBsEveN View Post
      I know old thread but ok what's the real answer to this "MOD" is it good or bad? Rain does most likely go thru the gaps, I mean I'm guessing that when your driving all the air coming towards you goes in to the engine bay since the hood ain't flat down the air got somewhere to go in, o searched google but didn't find a lot but peopl with defferent opinions, honda tech haters the worse!!.
      facepalm indeed...this has been covered exhaustively

1. It is not needed on stock cars and mildly built engine...thus useless. (that was already stated in this thread btw)
      2. It does actually lower engine bay temps...however...THIS MOD has not been shown to actually have any effect on performance/longevity. It really doesn't SIGNIFICANTLY lower the temps under the hood. It does lower them...just not significantly.
      3. the only cars that will see any such benefits from such a mod are ones with turbos
      4. on turbo'd cars...it's would be much more visually appealing to simply put vents in the hood...as that would do the same thing...and not look "broken"...this is also called the "broken hood mod"
      5. ...and lastly from me...you get plenty of rain water on the engine from the road...water getting in is not a concern really.
      ____

Comment

all those are true.. but i look at this mod as more of a cosmetic thing.. look at people putting tow hooks.. do they really use them? people using front lips use them for looks not for aerodynamics.. people with visors and rear visors arent using them for what they are really meant for people want them for the jdm look.. same as amber corners and all that.. all im saying is that i kno this mod doesnt do much with engine temp.. although it helps my engine temps a good number but anyway.. i dont look at this as a performance mod i do it till today because i personally like the BROKEN HOOD look i guess.. but yeah..
        MY FOR SALE THREAD

My Recent CB

My Old CBs

1991 Honda Accord EX - MY NEW ONE
        1991 Honda Accord LX - Impounded and GONE
        1993 Honda Accord EX H22 - SOLD

BTW IM NOT TURBO.. I WAS GOING TO GO TURBO WITH MY FIRST CB.. BUT IT GOT IMPOUNDED

Comment

well my personal opinion is that any cosmetic mod done should enhance the appearance of the car and anything that makes the car look broke or messed up does not enhance the appearance of the car...and thus is contraindicated. Now this is just opinion so I won't waste time arguing this point...(I'm just stating my opinion)

A mod done to mimic a functional mod but that is not actually functional is just fucking stupid...posers...that could be considered an opinion...but it's not an opinion...it's true.

This hood mod...as mentioned...does actually DO something...but most of those doing it don't NEED it...still...it's been shown to accomplish something.

my main complaint...the same could be done without the end result being a look of

"I slammed my hood with my toolbox still under there"
          ____

Comment

hahaha yeah i guess so.. everyone has there own opinion so who cares right..
            MY FOR SALE THREAD

My Recent CB

My Old CBs

BTW IM NOT TURBO.. I WAS GOING TO GO TURBO WITH MY FIRST CB.. BUT IT GOT IMPOUNDED

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal CB7 View Post
              i heard about this and wanted to do this too but i found out it creates drag. Like samshing with you windows down.
              i know from experience that it helps when youre running slower quartermiles like if you have a 16 or 15 second car it helps but like a 10 second car it does more harm than good

They rise their wooden pints and they yoik and sing
              And they fight and dance 'till the morning

Dont forget my MRT for my 1992 Honda Accord LX

Originally posted by deevergote
              Everything in Japan is made with carbon fiber and used panties.

Comment

kool kool.. my opinion is i like the way it looks.. fuck it people think its broken then oh well.. lol atleast i kno its not
                MY FOR SALE THREAD

My Recent CB

My Old CBs

Comment

Personally I think it looks like your hood is broken (no offense).
                  But I also noticed a more considerable amount of heat when I switched to the H motor, which this would help with. CF warping I agree with, so I'd do it if I got a CF hood, but only a little. Or maybe I'd just buy a CF hood with a vent in it. Rain I'm not worried about as most items under the hood are waterproof (except your alternator, distributor), the fuse box is sealed.

Another thought is that one could raise the hood half an inch and remove the rear rubber molding (or cut spots in it) to release heat, and not have the look be so drastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                    Another thought is that one could raise the hood half an inch and remove the rear rubber molding (or cut spots in it) to release heat, and not have the look be so drastic.
                    i removed the rubber and bent that metal. i need to cut it off
                    2013 Ice Cream Cruise!
                    VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise
                    VIDEO: 2012 Ice Cream Cruise part 2
                    The single largest cruise in the Midwest!
                    August 3 ~ Omaha, NE

By 1320 Video

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

i just did this mod. i used some old fuel rail spacers. the lil redish spacer that hold the fuel rail up. with the bisi IM gasket and this, i can jump out of the car and grab the IM without getting burn........it's almost cool to the touch.

Comment

nice.. i wish i had the bisi gasket lol
                        MY FOR SALE THREAD

My Recent CB

My Old CBs

Comment

Just take your hood off..... lol jk.

It looks sick idk how you guys can think it makes you look like you have been in an accident. But im going to do this saturday.

Comment

It's a ricer move unless you swap a motor or intake that just wont fit under a stock hood.

Pull the gasket out at the base of the windshield and it will have the same effect and not look like ass!~

Comment

Yeah......Mine is done but not so harsh.....I pulled the gasket and raised it a very little to help underhood heat....But its not ricey...Im boosted....Any help to keep that heat temp down Ima do....It does'nt need to be a mile high though....I think i used 3washers on the back bolt and 2 on the front bolt...Its deafly functional....But on civics and tegs with h22 or taller motor swaps you will see this, its a must and they make kits with raised hinges....Under my hood never gets wet,Still has a lip where the gasket is or was and a gutter like run off.I mean unless your driving around in reverse...Unless you take a hose and are trying to get it wet mine does'nt....It acts like a vent thats all....When your driving air is coming in...It actually helps keep fresh air in there because air is always coming in and going out the vented hood....all im saying it does work but does'nt have to be so high unless you like it like that......
                              Only give advice when I know or have done it and it worked

Comment

Originally posted by BuRRR View Post
                                (1) the rubber piece does prevent a bit of air from escaping but still the air comes thru the rear and the side.

(2) the seal can be removed to maximize the flow of air.

(3) ok the deal w/ the water. i was afraid of the water gettin in my engine compartment when it would rain here but it actually doesnt. the way the hood is lifted and the way u drive fowards actually cant make water go into there becuz the rain isnt going in when its lifted. it is deflection off the lift so its. unless u drive on reverse u'll get water in there. but it doest go in. and i wash my car w/ the hood lifted like this and have a short ram but no water. the only way u can hydrolock is if u got a CAI. these hood lifts cant feed enuff water to hydro lock. but like i said. i been having this hood lift for almost a year now and been thru the sickest rainy days and my car still ran fine and i washed my car w/ it and a bit of water does get into it but not enuff water can get into it to hydrolock.

hope this helps!

my hood is lifted and no water goes in my bay maybe between the fender edge and the hood edge but not in the bay i check it out yesterday as i was clean my car and not but a few drops between the fender and the hood edges

Comment

Working...
                                X