No announcement yet.

EXT: Hood Stand-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i don't know.. that still doesn't seem to make that much sense.. i see the potential logic in it.. but...

.. why not have grill vents put in? like the older 96-00 subaru imprezas . i'm sure its possible somehow..

Comment

my only worry is if you have a cf hood and you do this mod in an accident cf hoods dont fold up like a stock hood is designed to do and in a front end colision the hood could snap off of the compromised hinge and cause many dangerous scenarios but imo it looks hawt

"Tucking tires and wires."
      The Chronicles.

Comment

hahahah mann i been doin this! ur welcome miles for giving u an idea to make a DIY outta it! but it does help. it lets the hot air out the rear and i kno becuz i stuck my hand out while doin 80 on the fwy and i felt that shit and when i would park my car and open my door i can feel the radiator fan blow the hot air out while im park and my car is idling! very good DIY. but u will have to align ur hood right becuz if u dont the latch can get stuck.
        hi

Comment

oh and as for u CF hood owners. this mod will be kinda hard to do depending on the grade of ur hood. if ur hood is really wobbly it wont sit right. but if u have a CF hood that is pretty firm it is possible. so if ur hood wobbles then it wouldnt work as good and ur hood will go on misaligned.
          hi

Comment

3 questions about this seemingly good mod:

1: Where the back of the hood meets the firewall there's a rubber piece of weatherstripping/gasket/seal/whatever. Even if the hood was lifted 3/8" or whatever, wouldn't this piece of rubber prevent any real air from escaping, or would it all come from more to the sides where there is no rubber stripping? (most cowl hoods [ie Mustangs and Camaros] give an approx 2.5"-3" lift in the center)

2: Would the rubber seal/strip in the above question need to be removed to maximize the volume of escaping air?

2: Would the lift (with or without above seal) cause enough water during rain to get into the engine compartment to potentially compromise electrical systems via backdraft?
            Last edited by ACCORDianate; 07-14-2005, 11:57 AM. Reason: went from 2 to 3 q's
            Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
            2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
            2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
            2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Originally posted by ACCORDianate

1: Where the back of the hood meets the firewall there's a rubber piece of weatherstripping/gasket/seal/whatever. Even if the hood was lifted 3/8" or whatever, wouldn't this piece of rubber prevent any real air from escaping, or would it all come from more to the sides where there is no rubber stripping? (most cowl hoods [ie Mustangs and Camaros] give an approx 2.5"-3" lift in the center)

2: Would the rubber seal/strip in the above question need to be removed to maximize the volume of escaping air?

2: Would the lift (with or without above seal) cause enough water during rain to get into the engine compartment to potentially compromise electrical systems via backdraft?
              all questions i would like to know too....

:Back In Business...

Comment

search for the thread about this on honda-tech..... this idea got flamed and called useless unless you have ITB's or a k-series motor.... -justin-

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1302176 do your homework!

MY SH!T FOR SALE!

H23A1 (60,000 miles)
                tranny (no grinds)
                ECU
                DC header w/ heat wrap
                full exhaust with angled N1 Canister....
                $1000 obo delivered

SOLD!

Comment

I noticed that some of the drifting cars have the hoods raised in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by too.slow.CB7
                    search for the thread about this on honda-tech..... this idea got flamed and called useless...-justin-

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1302176
                    All I see is a bunch of haters there flaming it because they're mad they didn't think of it first. I knew I avoided that site for a reason.

In that link that white CTR pictured had what, about a 1.5" lift on it?

Still, I'm still waiting for real answers to my 3 q's I posted earlier.
                    Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                    2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
                    2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
                    2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Originally posted by ACCORDianate

(1) the rubber piece does prevent a bit of air from escaping but still the air comes thru the rear and the side.

(2) the seal can be removed to maximize the flow of air.

(3) ok the deal w/ the water. i was afraid of the water gettin in my engine compartment when it would rain here but it actually doesnt. the way the hood is lifted and the way u drive fowards actually cant make water go into there becuz the rain isnt going in when its lifted. it is deflection off the lift so its. unless u drive on reverse u'll get water in there. but it doest go in. and i wash my car w/ the hood lifted like this and have a short ram but no water. the only way u can hydrolock is if u got a CAI. these hood lifts cant feed enuff water to hydro lock. but like i said. i been having this hood lift for almost a year now and been thru the sickest rainy days and my car still ran fine and i washed my car w/ it and a bit of water does get into it but not enuff water can get into it to hydrolock.

hope this helps!
                      hi

Comment

you guys really just need to do it and figure out if you want it that way or not.. it took me alll of 5 munits to do and i think it fucking rocks

the only way your gonna learn is if you try it out. i just raised the hood and left it at that nothing elce done liek cutting the weather stripping and shit.. even if water does get in *wich is very minimal* its not a big deal water gets in from underneath the car too.

famous words from nike: Just do it!

Comment

^^^^ wErd!
                          hi

Comment

This is a good mod and IMO it adds a slight aggressiveness to the lines of the car (if done in slight moderation). It will decrease underhood temps.

If you don't like that you can see the spacers simply paint them flat black and it will blend in better.

I didn't do this when I had my accord but I plan on it when I go turbo in my civic. And BuRRRR is right, minimal water might get into the engine bay, even if it does it will only go near the intake manifold and down the firewall.
                            No more cb7, 7 years of ownership and 196K on the ticker before she was sold

Current beast: 98 ej8 on 7psi with a 15g turbo and other goodies!

NREMT-B | 300D and some glass

Comment

i tried this before..but i didnt get long bolts..but yea anyone know the size of the thread pattern bolt for the hood? i wanna get longer ones and try it again..

Comment

Originally posted by VRDrvr
                                I didn't do this when I had my accord but I plan on it when I go turbo in my civic. And BuRRRR is right, minimal water might get into the engine bay, even if it does it will only go near the intake manifold and down the firewall.
                                yah right next to the main fuse and relay box not smart in my opinion as hard as it rain her it would last oh id say 10 min tops, as for the drifter doing it it becusae they are sideways and not drivinf forward like we all do
                                fuck the bitches that stole my car jan/1/2006@7am from montesano wa updated: The Warrens from Malone Wa were found guilty for possesion of stolen property in the 1st*and were ordered to pay $2489.69 in restitution, only cause the shell was not found

R.I.P.

Vouches from: Snailin91, Caution, 2G6, Jdmf23accord, Boosted_StinkyNuts

Comment

Working...
                                X