INT : Removal/Replacement of blower motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT : Removal/Replacement of blower motor

Since many of our cars are getting old I think that some of us might be experiencing our blower motor going out or beginning to. Mine would blow air, but it was so unnoticeable I may as well have had my windows down. This basically negates having ac so I went about tearing appart my dash to replace this thing. I must warn those who might try this it isn't super hard but it is somewhat difficult, but I hope to alleviate some of that by way of this DIY . . .

Tools Needed:
    -Phillips Head Screw Driver
    -Stubby Phillips Head Screw Driver
    -Flat Head Screw Driver
    -Stubby Wrench(the spaces you'll be working in are kinda tight so this comes in handy.)
    -Deep Socket 10mm Bit
    -1/2" Extension Bit
    -1/2" to 1/4" Bit

first we remove the caps on the bolts that hold the dash in place on the passenger side

the caps pop off with the help of the Flat head screw driver. Now remove the bolts

Pop up the runner board and the kick plate covering the wiring.

Use the phillips head to remove the two screws holding the glove box to the dash

now open the glove box and use the phillips head again to unscrew the screw holding actuator arm to the glove box.
    (sorry no pic yet)
    Remove the glove box to reveal a bar held in place by four phillips head screws. Before you try to unscrew them try spraying some anti seize on them as they seem to be locked in by either paint or lock tite other wise you may strip them and be sol when you try and put them back.

you now have full access to your blower motor, which is on the far right side of the dash. If you have trouble leaning in and getting under your dash with the seat in removing it might help you out a lot.
    On the bottom of the blower motor housing there is a kick plate held in by two phillips screws take them out and remove the plate.

There is another plastic piece that is held in place by a retainer clip carefully remove it with the flat head screw driver so it doesn't go flying off somewhere where you cannot find it

Then unscrew the 10mm screw that holds the bands that connect the heater core on the left to the Blower motor housing on the right, also unscrew the two phillips head screws that attach the band to the Blower motor housing as well.

the second phillips screw on the underside of the housing near the carpet. now remove the band so you can pull down the housing when it is ready to come out

In the above picture you will also notice a 10mm nut with washer. There are three of these holding the hosing up in its place. The other two are on the top above the housing. This is where having that stubby ratcheting wrench comes in real handy
    Last edited by DA92CB7; 07-28-2009, 02:00 AM.
    F22b + MP1A = mad fun for me now. . .

MY RIDE
    My swap parts list and pricing

vouches:
    Bought from: Smeagren83(quite a few times now LOL), 97lude, AZaccord, M3torz2nR, g7kobayashi, sickoffthe206 and Kurobei, Jarhead, prNonVtec4u, caserX

Sold to: Snailin91, Smeagren83, cb7dazz, Drummersteve7, Slick

Before you begin to yank the blower motor out unplug the wires going to a small box on top of the heater core here

Now that all the screws and nuts that hold the unit in place are out of the way you can now begin to remove the unit from its home. This is probably the hardest part and I must warn you to be VERY careful because if you aren't you may break your dash. So as you pull it forward and down, gently pull out on your dash so the housing can clear it. It will be a tight squeeze but with a little prying and manipulation it will come out.

Once again its time to use the flat head screw driver to remove three retaining clips (do this carefully so they don't fly off and get lost). There are two on the front

and one on the back

To make moving the unit around easier you can remove the bracket that holds the wires going to the blower motor and its control units via a phillips head screw. Unplug the plugs as well.

there are three phillips head screws holding the housing together besides the retaining clips two are on the right side

and one is on the left

now flip it over to the right side so you are looking at the control side

remove the four screws holding the two plates down then unlatch the arm on the upper vent opener by prying the plastic up gently and pushing towards the right

now dow the same for the bottom one

The top and bottom assembly can now be taken apart, but before we can remove the blower fan we need to unhook the plug from the bracket. Here is the bracket with the plugs.

the plug we need to disconnect is the skinny red one in the middle, flip it over and you'll see the red clip it is attached to on the bracket. Carefully push the plug away from you if you are holding it as shown it should pop right off.

Now remove the two phillips head screws from each side of the blower motor unhook the two wires from the clip on the inside of the housing and remove the motor

Prior to putting everything back together I recommend placing the fan down in its housing, with out closing it up yet, and turning on your air to see if it is functioning properly if so follow the proceeding steps if not you may need a resistor or it might be a wiring bug that will need some sleuthing.

The install is the reversal of these steps.

I also highly recommend taking a vacuum to the heater core before re-instillation of the Blower housing to get rid of some of the debris that may have fallen into it from your hood vents.

MY RIDE

vouches:
    Bought from: Smeagren83(quite a few times now LOL), 97lude, AZaccord, M3torz2nR, g7kobayashi, sickoffthe206 and Kurobei, Jarhead, prNonVtec4u, caserX

Comment

yay david
      who helped you with this

and who's phone nuber is on your hand

Comment

Originally posted by 92jdm View Post
        yay david
        who helped you with this

and who's phone nuber is on your hand
        No one helped really I asked JJ if he'd done it he said yes and said it was a pain I tried to get Zack to let me borrow his chilton manual but he dipped to cali. So it was mostly just a learning experience took me a couple of days before I actually replaced it after taking it apart cause I was playing with my motor to see if I could get it to work again cause it would still run but only if I pulled the wires tight while it was on.

MY RIDE

vouches:

Comment

geez that thing is huge!

I'd rip it out for weight reduction

Comment

do u need it for your heater

They rise their wooden pints and they yoik and sing
            And they fight and dance 'till the morning

Dont forget my MRT for my 1992 Honda Accord LX

Originally posted by deevergote
            Everything in Japan is made with carbon fiber and used panties.

Comment

yeah that thing is very big i didnt know there was something that huge under the dash haha i think i need to replace mine cause i have no heat at all and it suck when it rains.

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordcb7ex View Post
                yeah that thing is very big i didnt know there was something that huge under the dash haha i think i need to replace mine cause i have no heat at all and it suck when it rains.
                your problem is your heater core has probably taken a shit and thats the thing thats in the middle behind the glove box. The blower motor just blows your hot or cold air through your vents and such it doesn't have anything to do with hot or cold.

MY RIDE

vouches:

Comment

up for the hot weather

MY RIDE

vouches:

Comment

thanx man
                    this diy will help a lot!

Going through the motions for the thrill of it
                    MEMBER'S RIDE__________________________FOR SALE THREAD
                    Sold to: PhatAccord, Darkcloud, jhondayaaj, greenefsi
                    Bought from: lokuputha, casterX, jhondayaaj, PhatAccord, blizzard335, Night Wolf, BatmannamtaB, Billkisme

Comment

no problem

MY RIDE

vouches:

Comment

I gotta do this now... mine just went out tonight. Junkyard tomorrow!

Comment

its not too hard just take your time when pulling the unit out of your car so you don't break anything. And keep track of all your screws theres alot there to loose so yeah

MY RIDE

vouches:

Comment

I will be doing this soon. thank you!

Comment

up for the new kids

MY RIDE

vouches:

Comment

Working...
                              X