INT: spin your own Billet accessories

materials:
    -dremel or grinder with grinding disc
    -drill
    -billet aluminum rod
    -sandpaper
    -if at all possible, drill press

first you start with the basic aluminum rod

1) to start, cut a piece the length of the part you want to make.

2) then, drill a hole in one end and thread a screw into that hole. (this so the drill can hold the piece without touching it) (i didn't do this because it's my parctice piece). cut the head off the screw. make sure it's centered as best you can. a drill press really helps.

now your ready to begin sculpting your piece to however your mind sees fit.

don't put it directly into the drill like i did, mount it on a screw (step2)

3) mount your drill to a table or work bench with a large C-clamp. and fix the throttle on wide open.

it starts to shape pretty quick.

4) use sandpaper when you get it to the shape you want. work the paper finer and finer.

the end result resembles a bullet. (keep in mind this is just a practice piece i didn't spend much time on)

i'll post some real pics when i get good at it and do it right, but this is to give you an idea how to get started. even of you don't like billet parts, you can make other things with this method. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Very interesting....hmmmm......

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
    JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

I see no point of this

Comment

its so he can leave them on his dash so he can look like a true gangsta.
        ]

Comment

yeah, whats the signifigance of this bullet looking thing??

Comment

it's to show people how to form custom parts and make it the way they want instead of relying on someone else to make it. i already have a small list of things i want to make. when i take my time on them, things should look like this:

i guess this isn't for everyone, but some people like to make there own parts. later.

Comment

wow man, that's creative as hell.

Comment

man what a pioneer! nice job here. i really want to make shifter extenders (having a short shift adapter is a must). it's pretty simple to do. just take the rod and thread/tap the ends. 10x1.25 i believe. here's what it looks like.

circuit hero originally made this one, but it's pretty simple to recreate.
                1cor10:31
                - 92 LX coupe
                - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                  it's to show people how to form custom parts and make it the way they want instead of relying on someone else to make it. i already have a small list of things i want to make. when i take my time on them, things should look like this:

i guess this isn't for everyone, but some people like to make there own parts. later.
                  This DIY is for those with the patience to create something of their own. It's not the same creating something from scratch, a unique piece of art, to just buying something SOMEONE else created.
                  Cool DIY, you got my attention.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                  JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

TypeG, you have officially got my attention! Ever since i got to college, i have been thinking of things i could do with the numerous machine shops/rapid prototyping machines/cnc mills/cnc lathes/waterjet, etc. so far, the best i could come up with is a carbon fiber console and rear parcel shelf. these will probably be completed next semester. On the next open foundry i am going to cast a shift knob blank and turn it down on the lathe, then possibly adding a carbon overlay to part of it. Thank you for showing people they dont have to spend a ton of cash getting the "in" part at the moment. You can have some creativity and make something yourself for a lot cheaper that you will also have great pride in.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

^that sounds pretty cool. me and some of my friends are going to be doing some casting soon, sense it's getting cold out.

your CF dash trim sounds nice. here are some pics from a guy on here with one:

later.

Comment

what the hell is that button on the left side for? the one with the asian letters? fog light?

"...B*tch got out the car lookin more like Freddy Jackson"

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                          ^that sounds pretty cool. me and some of my friends are going to be doing some casting soon, sense it's getting cold out.

your CF dash trim sounds nice. here are some pics from a guy on here with one:

later.
                          that's all just carbon-look stickers. i am going to mold my own 1-piece center console out of pre-preg dry carbon fiber. there is no way i would be able to do the dash trim in cf, too complicated. however, i will be painting it laurel blue to match my car and dying my dash black. also on my cf list-dor panel inserts, e-brake handle, gas cap, grill, and gauge cluster trim. getting $70/yard carbon fiber for free from boeing is pretty sweet!

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                          Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                          'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                          Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

that is crazy! did you make your own door lock tops? is that what the bullet is? that would be tight! man you are getting in deep with the amount of stuff to keep polished! lol. jk. tight diy man. it will keep coming i'm sure. good luck!
                            hey. my cb7 has morphed. haha.

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR
                              TypeG, you have officially got my attention! Ever since i got to college, i have been thinking of things i could do with the numerous machine shops/rapid prototyping machines/cnc mills/cnc lathes/waterjet, etc. so far, the best i could come up with is a carbon fiber console and rear parcel shelf. these will probably be completed next semester. On the next open foundry i am going to cast a shift knob blank and turn it down on the lathe, then possibly adding a carbon overlay to part of it. Thank you for showing people they dont have to spend a ton of cash getting the "in" part at the moment. You can have some creativity and make something yourself for a lot cheaper that you will also have great pride in.
                              i am a shop supervisor at a production machine shop, i have the pleasure of having cnc mills and lathes at my disposale. i have made numerous things for myself and my cars. i'll try to take some pics of some of the stuff i have made. and yes it is nice to make some stuff for your car that you can say you actually made.

Comment

Working...
                              X