No announcement yet.

Restless : 1992 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here's a little update on what has gone on with my car the past year which were mainly all maintenance costs. Around October 13' I chose to get my AC fixed for good because I've had problems with it ever since I had a shop convert it to use R-134a and was getting tired of the hot summers. During this period, I also chose to get my passenger window fixed because it would only roll down about an inch and a half. In between that time and Spring I was rear ended, but bought myself a few goodies just to keep the project going and not at a halt.

I don't know why, but I took a picture of the odometer. It's currently at around 323,000.

During the beginning of July, I noticed my brake fluid was going down faster than usual, so I topped it off when needed. Eventually, the brake pedal just sank down to the floor so I changed the brake master cylinder and bled the brakes hoping that would fix it. Well it didn't so the car was back on all four jack stands again. However, I noticed after I bled the brakes and checked the brake pedal pressure which was nice and firm, but when the car was on the brake pedal would sink down to the floor. Turns out my front right brake line was busted so I replaced that and my brakes were working good again. I should've taken pictures when I changed it because that screw-in bolt that goes from the engine bay through the fender into the new brake line was so stripped from whichever shop I paid to work on that area last it makes me wish I had the time, tools, and knowledge to always do the work on my car. Furthermore, my AC goes out again so now every 1-2 weeks I fill the car up with refrigerant to make sure the AC lines are at the correct pressure. Although, where I'm at monsoon season has just begun so I may not worry about the AC until Spring or Summer comes around again. In addition, my car didn't pass emissions for the tags renewal so I had to get another catalytic converter because the old one was clogged. Anyways, so now it's August and I recently just bought some new Falken Ziex 512 tires which were installed today.

After, I went to Sears to get a wheel alignment, but find out they can't because my two front lower ball joints are shot (I swear if it's not one thing it's another). So Monday I'm taking the car to a shop to get the ball joints replaced and wheels aligned. Next, hopefully within the next month or two I'll have my car dynotuned just still debating on which shop and funds.
    Last edited by Restless; 08-14-2014, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Well my lower ball joints were fine, but the two front inner tie rods have some play in it so the alignment won't be perfect. I've been looking into manual steering racks for our cars, but haven't had any luck so far. I guess it's going to stay looped for another year or two.

Comment

As far as manual steering racks go, we have to create our own from the racks we have. PRCB7 made a great DIY with pictures and all on how to convert to manual rack. I have heard, however, that this can introduce unwanted play in the steering.

I now know to just come here and read through this MRT when I feel like giving up. I'll get new strength to keep going when my build decides to have problems. Your drive and perseverance is an inspiration.
        *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
        ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
        ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
        "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
        The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
        Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Thanks af 1132 it means a lot. Also, thanks for the info on the power to manual steering rack conversion. I got up early and decided to do some research on them and ended up coming across PRCB7's DIY like you mentioned. Since my car is still at the shop I may have them see if they can do it. If not I may have to tackle this DIY myself in a few months or the beginning of next year so the front of my inner tires don't wear out faster than the outer. Oh well for now, I'm just stoked for some goodies I just bought. Pictures coming soon when they arrive.

Comment

Don't know why this page doesn't have more comments. Great job on keeping her alive! The outside may not be done but it doesn't seem to need any immediate attention and you're doing all the important things first. Definitely keep reading through the DIY's, especially now that the section will be overhauled soon, whenever you have to tackle something because its saved me more than once. Keep it up!

The Facebook group

Comment

Thanks ninethreecoupe. Having this car as my daily driver sometimes makes it hard for me to do performance and cosmetic upgrades since I have to make sure it's functional for everyday driving. However, when I see comments like yours it keeps pushing me to get the car finished.

So I picked up my car Thursday afternoon, but was informed that my car had been hit along with another vehicle in the shop's parking lot. The damage done was to the front & rear bumper, trunk, and what ever else I couldn't see until the bumpers come off. Luckily the person who hit me has State Farm insurance, but after talking to the people where I'm going to get the repairs done at because of the mileage of the vehicle he said I might only get 25% of the damage repair costs. Hopefully that's not the case, but what I'm hoping to do is use the bumpers I picked up a while ago and get them painted. Also, hopefully the body shop can get rid of that front bumper sag and get the bumper flush since I was hit right.

When I drove my car home I noticed my shift knob would spin. I tried to put it back on by using some type of silicone caulking and let it dry overnight, but it wasn't strong enough and would still spin. Luckily, one of my Honda buddies had given me supposedly a type r shift knob for helping him out last week because he didn't have the Hondata software so he could change a few things on his ECU. It'll do for now until my new one comes in.

Looks like my front right shock is getting a little worn out.

Decided to do a oil change and change the air breather on the valve cover.

Last edited by Restless; 08-10-2014, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Wow, you are a real trooper, restless. Back to the grind right after that accident, man! I would be contemplating giving up after something like that. Like I said, this is the pace to come visit when you feel like throwing in the towel and need some encouragement.
                *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Yeah I was pretty upset, but then thought to myself maybe my front bumper sag will be fixed because of this accident. Also, I kind of got the itch again to start working on the car. Friday night I ended up buying a new rack and pinion. Going to have the place my car was hit at install it, loop the lines, then do a wheel alignment this time hopefully on the 18th. Maybe they'll cut me a deal on the labor since my car was hit at their shop.

Comment

Yeah my car is my first car and has been my daily since then so unfortunately boosting won't come until I can get another car to DD since the building process will take a while to get money.

The damage doesn't appear to be that bad at all. My car has been through an accident as well only a bit worse than yours but all in the hood/grille/headlights. Its a bit disheartening but just gotta keep the enthusiasm up. I find it helps if I always have at least a few (even if small) parts laying around waiting for me to install them so I can always have something to look forward to. My problem is I get lazy sometimes haha. Good luck with the repair claim though!

The Facebook group

Comment

Thanks man, appreciate it. I've been looking at other cars too so I can do more to this one, but every time I get the $ either something else comes up or I just put the $ into this car. Also, due to the unexpected rack and pinion repair, I won't be getting my car tuned anytime soon, but it's next on my to do list. Well I got one of the three things I ordered from a specific company. The rest of my order should be here tonight, so I have something to look forward to when I get off of work. I wonder what I'll need this fluid for.
                      Last edited by Restless; 08-11-2014, 04:58 PM.

Comment

So the rest of my parts came in today. Teaser box shot (you might know what it is if you know the logo). Pictures of the parts inside coming soon as well as something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Restless View Post
                          So the rest of my parts came in today. Teaser box shot (you might know what it is if you know the logo). Pictures of the parts inside coming soon as well as something else.
                          syncro tech MFactory box, yummy tranny goodies.
                          CB7TUNER.com
                          Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by cb9love View Post
                            syncro tech MFactory box, yummy tranny goodies.
                            . So before I get to what's in the box I thought I'd post some pictures of when I got my powder coated valve cover.

Also, before I bought my Cusco front strut bar I initially drove to Phoenix to buy a Neuspeed strut bar. Little did I know it wouldn't clear my valve cover. Now it's just sitting. Also, I scrapped off the yellow Neuspeed decal because I was planning to put a blue Neuspeed decal on it.

Last edited by Restless; 08-12-2014, 09:42 PM.

Comment

So as promised the goodies from my box. An Mfactory v2 Helical LSD with a Stage 1 Race Pack upgrade and a pair of differential bearings.

Also, when I couldn't get that Momo shift knob to fit back on I just went ahead and bought myself a Skunk2 shift knob which came in today. It definitely has more weight than my previous one and makes it easier to throw into gear.

Once my transmission parts are installed, I'll be saving to replace my front main seal which is where I think I have oil leaking from. After, I'm a try to get my car tuned as quick as I can. Then possibly start fixing my driver's door. The window currently isn't lining up correctly, is having a hard time rolling up/down, and window switches are starting to work intermittently. For a while now I've also needed new weather stripping for all four of the doors.

Comment

The car is now at a collision repair shop. Sucks though because they only thought it was for the front bumper so now it'll be there even longer. Good thing the shop owner took pictures of the accident when it happened, but still now my rack and pinion replacement is going to have to wait along with my transmission goodies. I hope everything is done before the 26th because school is about to be in session again for me. The shop is hoping to have all the repairs done by the end of the week so we'll see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X