Canon or Nikon? Help me choose!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon or Nikon? Help me choose!

My Wife and I are interested in buying a DSLR. She either wants a Canon or a Nikon, neither brand bothers me since they are both good brands. I have a $500 dollar spending limit, and my wife prefers to buy things new. After looking around at local department stores I noticed that my main choice is between a:

Canon EOS Rebel XS

or a

Nikon D3000

They are both in the $400-$500 dollar range depending on the department store. We've handled and tested them as much as we could at the store, and liked them both. I would like input from you guys as to your experiences using either of these cameras.
    Last edited by Macaqueistrong; 09-24-2010, 12:46 PM.

If your set on buying new(which might not be a good idea) then save up some more and buy a Canon t2i. The XS really is not that good.

Is it your first SLR camera? If I were you I'd buy a gently used Canon Xti/Xsi+ some glass or a Canon 30d+kit lens. You get so much more camera for your money.

1999 Honda Prelude
    Photography Site

Comment

The XS is a fine camera for your first SLR.

www.dpreview.com is your best place to get info and reviews on every camera you can think of.

Personally ive been saving too and have yet to buy one.

I like the Canon line because there are a lot of lens options and from the comparisons ive made i like the Canons better.

You really can't go wrong with either of those models but you should heavily research both and see which one would be better for what your going to be shooting.

Comment

It's fine if you don't mind losing money when you sell it to upgrade in 6 months.
        Even compared to the Xsi/Xti the XS feels cheap and doesn't take any better pictures.

1999 Honda Prelude
        Photography Site

Comment

Originally posted by zelseman View Post
          It's fine if you don't mind losing money when you sell it to upgrade in 6 months.
          Even compared to the Xsi/Xti the XS feels cheap and doesn't take any better pictures.
          Well for his spending limit and for a first SLR it is fine. I toyed with one awhile ago and it was a solid camera.

If he stretches he can possibly find a deal but im always watching prices since i want to get a T1i and the prices for the t2i and so on are much more then he want's to spend.

I guess it comes down to new or used but i like the feeling of knowing it's new and if there are any problems i can take it right back.

And why would he upgrade in 6 mos?

He could get a good few years of use out of this camera again depending on what he uses it for.

From all my research none of them really hold their value long anyway because Canon is constantly coming out with new models.

Comment

sure its fine, but if he wanted "fine" he wouldnt be buying an slr... u get sooooo much more camera for a little more money.

"Tucking tires and wires."
            The Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
              sure its fine, but if he wanted "fine" he wouldnt be buying an slr... u get sooooo much more camera for a little more money.
              But he said his limit is $500 so why spend more when we both know the XS is fully capable and much better then any point and shoot.

Comment

the whole point was u can get a used MUCH better camera for that kind of money... i understand his girl wants to buy new, but lightly used gear is awesome... especially when it comes to slrs, they arent exactly delicate...

The Chronicles.

Comment

the whole point was u can get a used MUCH better camera for that kind of money... i understand his girl wants to buy new, but lightly used gear is awesome... especially when it comes to slrs, they arent exactly delicate...

Lightly used gear is definitely a score but i just didn't see what was so bad about a new XS.

I was just pointing out that if he has it narrowed down to those two cameras and wants to buy new then the XS is a good deal.

Comment

yeah just speaking from experience, i started with a rebel xt, and almost immediately i wished i had bought a 20d/30d instead... making a semi large purchase such as a camera is something that i wouldnt want to have to feel as if i made the wrong decision right away.

The Chronicles.

Comment

Lightly used is the way to go in this case.....Specially for your first slr

2 years ago I bought a slightly used rebel xt for 100 bucks....Its never once given me any problems and it left me room to spend more on lenses and other things that could be used when I upgrade bodies.

My brother in law and sister have a rebel XS that they bought new....and i cant say its worth the extra 300+ they paid vs. my used XT....It doesnt take drastically better pictures.....it really doesnt do anything better than my XT (picture takingwise)....but I like to contribute that to me being an awesome photographer hahahaha...ha....it does have some extra features but really they both do the same thing

Id buy a used better camera or if your dead set on getting new....save longer and get a t1i or t2i.

Cant give any info on nikons cuz im a canon whore.

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

Ya im saving up for the t1i....i dont really need the live viewfinder but the HD video is a big plus, as well as the other updates to the camera.

I do feel the live viewfinder would help in akward shooting moments where you can't use the traditional viewfinder.

im seeing a lot of recommendations for the T1i so im excited even more!

Comment

Three weeks ago I bought a 550D / T2i for $900 - brand new body + kit lens (with image stabilization). One week later brand new 50mm f/1.8 Mk. II and EF 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 from friend of mine for $20

Here's a sample video from 550D + 50 f/1.8:

http://vimeo.com/14810503

Comment

yeah just speaking from experience, i started with a rebel xt, and almost immediately i wished i had bought a 20d/30d instead... making a semi large purchase such as a camera is something that i wouldnt want to have to feel as if i made the wrong decision right away.
                            Same thing happened with me. I bought a brand new Xti right after they came out for $750 or whatever they were going for then. After getting used to the camera (~3 months) I wanted a 30d or a 5d. However, I had to wait to upgrade because I had just dropped a ton of money on a body.

Cameras do lose value very quickly, which is even more reason to not buy a brand new body now for twice what it will cost you in a year.

1999 Honda Prelude
                            Photography Site

Comment

I knew buying a gently used DSLR was going to be the best choice, especially when I see some for sale locally for great prices, BUT, my wife is not going to budge off of buying new. This will be our first DSLR camera, so I guess the question I should ask next is;

If you HAD to take a loss and buy new, the choice being between either the Canon or Nikon which would be a better choice?

Comment

Working...
                              X