Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Cooling fan problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Accord problems View Post
    ok the other parts im talking about are located in side the car . parts you aint bought yet .
    Roger that.
    This is what I bought.

Coolent temp sensor, both fan switches.

PS sorry for high jacking this thread, I`ll make my own or just read more on my own.
    And thanks Accord Problems for your insight, much appreciated
    Last edited by Ispintechno; 05-21-2013, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ispintechno View Post
      Roger that.
      This is what I bought.

Coolent temp sensor, both fan switches.

PS sorry for high jacking this thread, I`ll make my own or just read more on my own.
      And thanks Accord Problems for your insight, much appreciated
      your welcome .

op sorry there is the one unit above the fuses. ( thinking about the chevy one lol) . check out this link . http://search.mywebsearch.com/mywebs...&ord=15&ct=AR&
      Last edited by Accord problems; 05-21-2013, 11:29 PM.
      this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
      How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
      Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Hey, I'm in exactly the same boat, got tired of hearing my fan turn on hours after the car had last moved and finding all the juice gone in the AM, or having to pull the relay every time I turned off the car.

Exactly as Accord Problems said, that's the part, and the location is above the interior fuse panel, driver side.

I wanted to clarify the location as one of the photos shows a black box above the fuse panel - just FYI, it's not the black box in the photo, but is rather above it and is partially hidden behind a bunch of other electronic goodness. I had to remove some of said goodness to get it out, a 10mm deep socket on an extension comes in very handy.

I took a photo and photoshoped the location for you but can't find a way to upload the photo directly, I'll look in the FAQ or if anybody knows a way to do a direct upload please let me know.

Also, I got mine for $1.99 at a u-pull JY, a lot nicer than the $260 something (CDN) something that Honda wanted for it. I haven't had time to put it in yet but will let you if it works as soon as I do!

Comment

Dano .. you have a PM ..

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Thanks Pakalolo, was just setting up an image hosting account after finding the info on the well-laid out info section in the "how to post photos of my ride"...

So here's the location, looking up from the pedal area. Like I said, I had to remove a few other pieces to get at it:

And once you get it out, make sure it looks something like this shape:

$1.99 and 5 minutes to pull, I really hope this is the solution!
            Last edited by Dano; 05-22-2013, 02:37 PM.

Comment

The fan circuit is real simple. Two switches, fan relays, timer box and fans.

The switch closest to the radiator controls the fan when the car is turned off.

The one at the thermostat, controls the fan with the key in the run position.

Models don't even have the fan timer, because of lack of ac.

If the fan is turning on after taking the key out, unplug the switch closest to the radiator. If that solves the problem, then it's the switch.

Although fan timers can go bad, it is usually one of the switches.

Another part likely to go bad are the fan relays. Sometimes they stick in the on position.

Hope this sheds some light on the fan circuit. I learned from first hand experience. I have had all the problems mentioned at one time or another.

Just remember that the circuit is a simple design and a meter is your vwst friend testing the circuit.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
              JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Originally posted by dano View Post
                thanks Pakalolo, Was Just Setting Up An Image Hosting Account After Finding The Info On The Well-laid Out Info Section In The "how To Post Photos Of My Ride"...

So Here's The Location, Looking Up From The Pedal Area. Like I Said, I Had To Remove A Few Other Pieces To Get At It:

And Once You Get It Out, Make Sure It Looks Something Like This Shape:

$1.99 And 5 Minutes To Pull, I Really Hope This Is The Solution!
                Thank You

Comment

Great! Keep us posted ... that looks like a PIA!

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
                    The fan circuit is real simple. Two switches, fan relays, timer box and fans.

The switch closest to the radiator controls the fan when the car is turned off.

The one at the thermostat, controls the fan with the key in the run position.

Models don't even have the fan timer, because of lack of ac.

If the fan is turning on after taking the key out, unplug the switch closest to the radiator. If that solves the problem, then it's the switch.

Although fan timers can go bad, it is usually one of the switches.

Another part likely to go bad are the fan relays. Sometimes they stick in the on position.

Hope this sheds some light on the fan circuit. I learned from first hand experience. I have had all the problems mentioned at one time or another.

Just remember that the circuit is a simple design and a meter is your vwst friend testing the circuit.
                    Thanks for the breakdown djcaz, I had tried unplugging the switches, changing relays, and even replaced the under-dash fuse board (it sounded like there was arcing going in it at the fan relay position, but turned out to be just the timer current getting fed in all hay-wire), all this before I found out about the existence of the timer unit.

A little aside FYI, I don't have air but do have the timer ...

Thanks again for the breakdown!

Comment

Good news guys! 5 minutes and $7 later I got a fan timer at pick n pull and it works perfect now

Comment

congrats man hope it was fun for you to do this little side job.
                        this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
                        How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
                        Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Replacing the switches works for me! I got fans when ever the car needs them. The reason the fan didn't turn on for me after I turned the car off was the one switch was stuck open.
                          Kind of glad too that fan timer looks like a bit of a pain to replace, but then again I had to drain the coolent and that jazz today. No walk in the park.

To proper cooling systems!

Comment

Hey guys, all this info is really helpful, but im curious if the cooling fan is suppose to be wired right to the battery. I have a 90 accord ex with a 93 h22 swap, and every time I park I have to pop the hood and unhook the fan. Now I don't have a/c so its only the radiator fan im worried about. One of the wires goes to the pos and one goes to the neg? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Comment

No, the fan should not be wired directly to the battery.

This was likely done as part of your swap, and is not a good way to do things - if you're unplugging the fan every time you leave your car, you're circumventing the whole point of a fan timer, namely to keep cooling the engine while it is hot, even after the ignition is off.

If you walk away after turning off the fan, and things are still very hot, you can warp your head and loose your HG.

Best to sort this out, and while you're doing that, let your fan run a bunch after turning the engine off if it's still hot.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, how would I reverse this? I haven't been doing too much driving since I've made the dscovery. Id like to get back on the road. I've checked fuses and what I've yet to check the timer but seeing as how the fan is hit wired to the battery, im not sure its worth it to check the timer. Anyone with insight please and thank you. I would just like to reverse the hot wiring of the fan.. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X