Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A rant about "saving a buck" when modifying your car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
    I only read the first page because posts started getting realllly long after that, lol.

I wrecked my cb7 just over a year ago and because I had a baby on the way purchased an 01 Audi Allroad as a bigger, safer family car. I'm glad I learned how to work on cars during my 5 years with my cb7, holy cow!

My Audi is modified and will continue to be modified but one thing I keep thinking about and is relevant to this thread: The price of original, highest quality parts (ESP, Bisi, Progress, Neuspeed, Tein, H&R, Bilstein, etc) for our cb7's ARE CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP compared to the European aftermarket. My whole perspective on what's expensive has changed since owning the Audi.

I hope to be back in a cb7 one day but I'm finding it extremely difficult to find one that hasn't been raped and abused as Deev said somewhere in a post, I see fewer and fewer every day.
    You are a brave soul for taking on an All-Road. Everything I've read about those cars is that they're absolutely phenomenal when they work right, but they're a nightmare when they aren't.

I will echo what you say about Accord parts being cheap. A high end suspension for my car runs in the $2,000 plus range. To have the OEM struts setup to handle a quality lowering spring runs over $600.

I think the cost of the car plays a huge role in people cheaping out. When you have a more expensive car, spending money on it is relative. $1,500 worth of mods to a $30,000 car isn't as big of a deal as spending $1,500 on a car you just spent $1,500 for.

I wanted to get new wheels and tires for my car and when i ran the numbers I decided to purchase an old Toyota Pickup instead...and I nearly spent the same amount of money. Then I was facing a $2,000 repair on a $3,000 truck and I let it go. Had that same $2,000 repair been on my new truck...I'd have done it.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7 calling View Post
      Does the allroad have the audi airbag suspension?
      Its the simplicity of the cb that helps drive aftermarket price down.
      Think back to 2004, how many 1981 anythings were rolling around all pristine.
      Yes, air ride 4-position height adjustable! I wanted something safe,mid-size, and functional. This fit the bill pretty good. You're right about the cb7 being simple too. I've wanted to buy a ticket to Germany a few times so I could punch an Audi engineer in the throat!!

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
      You are a brave soul for taking on an All-Road. Everything I've read about those cars is that they're absolutely phenomenal when they work right, but they're a nightmare when they aren't.

I will echo what you say about Accord parts being cheap. A high end suspension for my car runs in the $2,000 plus range. To have the OEM struts setup to handle a quality lowering spring runs over $600.

I think the cost of the car plays a huge role in people cheaping out. When you have a more expensive car, spending money on it is relative. $1,500 worth of mods to a $30,000 car isn't as big of a deal as spending $1,500 on a car you just spent $1,500 for.

I wanted to get new wheels and tires for my car and when i ran the numbers I decided to purchase an old Toyota Pickup instead...and I nearly spent the same amount of money. Then I was facing a $2,000 repair on a $3,000 truck and I let it go. Had that same $2,000 repair been on my new truck...I'd have done it.

The car IS great when it works!! Rides like a dream, handles exceptionally well after you get over the feel of air, beats unmodified Mustang GTs which is hilarious to watch. The motor itself is mechanically bulletproof up to 500hp, I only have about 320hp/350tq. Awesome motor. My allroad is converted to the s4 manual 6spd / stg3 clutch so I don't worry with transmission woes. I've had no trouble from the turbos or suspension airbags, common issues. I've replaced the alternator, fuel pump, o2 sensors, coils (2.0 conversion), coolant temp sensor, battery.....about $1,600 worth of repairs in the last year. I'm about to replace the clutch mc and do the timing belt/vc gaskets which will be about $700 in parts for everything I'm replacing while the front end if off.

But yeah, I will say one thing, so far my experience with the Audi enthusiasts community shows they are more respectable and appreciative of quality than the Honda scene.....and nowhere near as cutthroat at each other lol!
      My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Just to add a real-life example to this rant...

ESP has shut their doors. Hopefully only temporarily. However, at the moment, the demand for their products has not been sufficient to continue operating.
        The Accord and Prelude enthusiasts were the bulk of their market, and this site provided a good amount of that traffic.

With any luck, we'll have ESP back on our side, making amazing products for us in the near future. Their Member Shop will remain open unless they request otherwise. Their return to business will be based primarily on whether or not there is enough interest in their products to justify it.

Still, this is a very real (and very painful) example of how we will lose our aftermarket if we don't continue to support those making products for us.
        Yes, you can buy a lot of cheap reproductions of ESP-style parts on eBay... for now. Those parts will be inferior, and they also won't be around very long.

I know it makes some of you uncomfortable to read this... but it IS our responsibility to maintain the aftermarket for our chassis. If we continue to support those that make products for us, we will continue to get new and better products. If we stop supporting them, they won't waste their time, effort, and money developing and producing things for us.
        Our actions directly influence what options we have available to us. All of us.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

ESP has shut their doors. Hopefully only temporarily. However, at the moment, the demand for their products has not been sufficient to continue operating.
          The Accord and Prelude enthusiasts were the bulk of their market, and this site provided a good amount of that traffic.

With any luck, we'll have ESP back on our side, making amazing products for us in the near future. Their Member Shop will remain open unless they request otherwise. Their return to business will be based primarily on whether or not there is enough interest in their products to justify it.

Still, this is a very real (and very painful) example of how we will lose our aftermarket if we don't continue to support those making products for us.
          Yes, you can buy a lot of cheap reproductions of ESP-style parts on eBay... for now. Those parts will be inferior, and they also won't be around very long.

I know it makes some of you uncomfortable to read this... but it IS our responsibility to maintain the aftermarket for our chassis. If we continue to support those that make products for us, we will continue to get new and better products. If we stop supporting them, they won't waste their time, effort, and money developing and producing things for us.
          Word. And if we don't get esp or other quality brands back, it's up to the community to go out and demand the parts. That's part of the motivation behind my working with Jim at Pierce. I know our aftermarket is paltry and I want not only myself but other members to have access to great quality parts for this chassis we love so much.

Civic guys, 240 guys, Evo and sti guys all have their amazing after markets because they DEMANDED IT and when quality companies responded, they gladly paid.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

That sucks big time!!! I didn't know they closed. I sold my traction bar from my wrecked cb7 but if/when I ever pick up another cb7 an ESP traction bar system was going to be one of my first purchases. Dangit guys, buy from them so they'll open back up. Their products are TOP notch!!
            My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
              That sucks big time!!! I didn't know they closed. I sold my traction bar from my wrecked cb7 but if/when I ever pick up another cb7 an ESP traction bar system was going to be one of my first purchases. Dangit guys, buy from them so they'll open back up. Their products are TOP notch!!
              Check out my group buy thread in the suspension sub forum!

Comment

Working...
              X