Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

91 honda Accord LX dies on freeway starts up minutes later.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 honda Accord LX dies on freeway starts up minutes later.

Hey. So I have a 91 honda Accord LX 200000 or so miles on it. I great running car. Until the other day I am cruising down the highway doing seventy the car dies. I sit in the car wait about five minutes turn it over and drive home. Just tried to take it around town and I couldn't go three miles without it dying. But like before I was able to start it up. Again minutes later. And drive it home. I I have no idea why it would do this. I am not much of a mechanical just know the basics of anyone could help. Me it would be greatly appreciated. Also swapped out my cap and rotor on my diZy that didn't help any. I also have oil in three of my four cylinders. One of them is almost full. Of oil what should I do?

Hmm...

Perhaps your alternator is shot, and your running on battery only? I wouldn't think you'd be able to start it back up like that though if this was the case.

Otherwise, maybe something fuel related. Mondo dirty fuel filter? Maybe the fuel pump is going out?

Can you give more detail about how it dies? Is it sudden, or does the engine struggle for a bit? When it starts back up, does it start right up like normal? Why do you wait five minutes to start it after it dies? Have you tried starting it briefly after it dies and it wouldn't, or just out of precaution?

I have a feeling you're confusing the spark plug well with the cylinder. Did you just take off the spark plug wire and look at the spark plug well and see oil? If so, that's a common issue, and it shouldn't be the cause of your issue; though it may be another symptom. If you had oil in your cylinders, you would have lots of smoke coming from your exhaust.
    Last edited by reklipz; 11-04-2012, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Sounds like ignition module needs to be replaced.

Purchased From: busak87, GunRunner, Bruce Banner, Itstatcb7kid707, tJoods, DannyD

The Caravan 2015
      MRT:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=180919

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply guys. I'm pretty new to the forum stuff. I have replaced my fuel filter roughly six months. Ago I don't think that is the issue. Seems like I'm cruising just fine then all the sudden there's nothing it just dies. The first time it happened i waited about a minute turned my key to accs and waited lights. Cleared. It started and I made it home. The most recent time though I tried starting it again right after it died but all my lights didn't clear the CEL stayed on and it didn't start till. About five minutes later then the CEL went off started. It turns over just doesn't fire upland your right I'm talking about the spark plug wells three out of four are full of oil some worse then others. What causes this? Is it a simple fix? d.

Comment

Also thank's again and is there any way to test the ignition control module?

Comment

Originally posted by Mbenton89 View Post
            Also thank's again and is there any way to test the ignition control module?
            Check to see if your getting spark to the plugs when it stops running. If its not getting spark to all the plugs, its most likely the igniter.
            Is it an external or internal coil?

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178069

Comment

I am not not sure how do you tell if it's internal or external? I haven't had an opportunity to test for spark after it dies I'm always on the road somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Mbenton89 View Post
                I am not not sure how do you tell if it's internal or external? I haven't had an opportunity to test for spark after it dies I'm always on the road somewhere
                is there 4 wires or 5 wires coming off your cap tells if its internal or external. Also does it do it during hot days? if it does it could be a main relay.

Comment

There is four wires coming off the cap. It doesn't happen during hot days. I replaced the main relay about a year ago I know it's a common problem with these accords. I am thinking it's the icm just not sure I don't know much about working on my own cars just trying to gather information for my brother in law my mechanic lol

Comment

To check for spark, pull a plug wire off at the plug, stick a well insulated Phillips screwdriver into the boot, and hold it approx. 1/4" from the valve cover and have someone crank the engine over. The spark should be a bluish tint. If there is no spark or if it is yellowish, you have an ignition issue. Most likely a igniter or coil.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178069

Comment

alright i will try and check for spark today got my brother in law coming to help me i hope. i was going to remove spark plug three (from the left) when i went to do so my socket wouldnt go over my spark plug a piece of my wire seems to be stuck on my plug any suggestions on how to remove it? now should i check for this spark on each wire make sure there is solid spark all the way through?

Comment

All of that oil in your spark plug wells may be conducting spark straight to your block, get a head gasket kit and replace all o-rings around the oil wells top and bottom of the rocker assembly. After that make sure the plugs are all seated. It could be the ICM or the coil at that point. Start with the oil leak though.

Don't remove any plugs until you remove all of the oil in the plug wells!
                        Last edited by wildBill83; 11-05-2012, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                          All of that oil in your spark plug wells may be conducting spark straight to your block, get a head gasket kit and replace all o-rings around the oil wells top and bottom of the rocker assembly.
                          Bill, you think a HG is necessary? Won't replacing just the upper (very easy) and lower (a little bit more time consuming; you should do a valve lash adjustment after you do this) plug well seals take care of this? It's very common for the lower plug well o-rings to cause this.

ETCG has a great video on doing the lower seals, as well as a valve lash video.

Comment

I meant the valve cover kit. His valve cover may not be leaking but once he removes it, it will start leaking if it is aged. The valve cover kit comes with 4 o-rings, valve gasket, and valve washers.

Comment

So I just ordered a new ignition control module seems like that's a common answer I am finding so I am going to try that. I am not sure how to replace it. Is it in the distributor? I also how necessary is it to do the valve adjustment after replacing the seals? That seems like a tough job.

Comment

Working...
                              X