what size tire is best for 17x8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what size tire is best for 17x8?

i have 17x8 +35 square on my coupe. the wheels poke out of the fenders a little. i have 205/40 on them now. i used to have tl 17x8 wheels and the stock 235 size tire seemed to fit ok. i hate how it looks with these 205 size tires. so tiny. any recommendations?
    COUPE K24

You can mess with sizes and how it affects your speedo readings at this link, click on the "Tire Comparison" tab, and plug the factory tire size into "Size 1": https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Given that I know Acura specs the stock 17x7 RSX Type S wheel with a 215 wide tire, which gives a little bit of stretch for performance (that little bit of tightness on the sidewall helps with stability while cornering, so the tire's not moving side to side over the rim as much), I'd go with a 225 on an 8" wheel. 225/40-17 matches the CB's factory 195/60-15 overall diameter most accurately according to that calculator. A wider tire is just going to poke out even more, though. That TL wheel has a much higher offset than your aftermarket wheel, which allowed that wider tire.

An 8" wide wheel with a 225 tire, the tire on the left in this photo is the kind of stretch you'll be looking at (the wheel on the right is an 8.5):

Last edited by CyborgGT; 01-30-2020, 12:22 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
      I'd go with a 225 on an 8" wheel. 225/40-17 matches the CB's factory 195/60-15 overall diameter most accurately according to that calculator. A wider tire is just going to poke out even more, though. That TL wheel has a much higher offset than your aftermarket wheel, which allowed that wider tire.

An 8" wide wheel with a 225 tire, the tire on the left in this photo is the kind of stretch you'll be looking at (the wheel on the right is an 8.5):

My STi used a 225/45 on the stock 17x8 BBS wheels.

That being said, if you consult Tire Rack for the tire you desire, they give their recommended range for any given size.

Comment

235/40/17 is my favorite size for 17x8. Its wide, without having too tall of a sidewall. That's my biggest issue with 225/45s, the sidewalls are a bit tall in my opinion. Otherwise 215/45/17 is a good option.

Here are is 17x8 +35 with 215/45s.

And this is 17x8.5 +30 with 235/40s. I much prefer the squarer sidewall of running the 235 over the 215.

Comment

sweet thanks for the replies. i might go with the 235/40
          COUPE K24

Comment

Working...
          X