Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the CB7 is totaled...

And this is what happened.

This guy was going the wrong way down my one-way street. Must have been going pretty damn fast.

The CB7 is done. The front end is totally tweaked. It'll never be right again, and no insurance company will value the car at more than a few hundred bucks, surely. There will be a part-out, or I'd even consider selling it whole...

My fiancee's Mini is more upsetting, honestly. It was in perfect condition, and now the value is going to be way down. Hopefully that will be fixed instead of being written off! It's an 03, with an uncommon color and EVERY option. She searched like crazy to find that exact car.

I don't even know what to say. That's just bizarre!

I know your heart isn't really in it anymore, but this could be a great time to start over. You could just store it somehwhere out of the way for a while as you look for a really clean replacement. Buy one that runs and drives and swap parts as you have the time.

I know that's not ideal, but it's what I ended up doing with my CL and I'm glad I did. What I stood to lose selling off aftermarket parts (against what i paid) was not appealing. I would largely prefer to get another one and continue where I left off.

I'm glad you're okay, but I'm still blown away at how this happened.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

holy SHIT man! that guy seriously must have been flying! Enough speed to flip a car like that on a small residential road

Sorry to hear about you and your fiancé's car! The damage on hers looks like it wouldn't be too terribly bad to fix, then again I don't know much about the price of mini cooper parts.

if you need anything let me know!

Comment

Wow , that's just ridiculous. Freaking assholes always have a way of screwing shit up with out even trying.

MRThttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=84102 93se h22/t2t4

Comment

I'll take the opposite tack (but I'm a sucker for saving one). Take the wheel off and see what's bent. Maybe just suspension parts, worst case crossmembers, a lot of wrenching?
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
            I don't even know what to say. That's just bizarre!

I know your heart isn't really in it anymore, but this could be a great time to start over. You could just store it somehwhere out of the way for a while as you look for a really clean replacement. Buy one that runs and drives and swap parts as you have the time.

I know that's not ideal, but it's what I ended up doing with my CL and I'm glad I did. What I stood to lose selling off aftermarket parts (against what i paid) was not appealing. I would largely prefer to get another one and continue where I left off.

I'm glad you're okay, but I'm still blown away at how this happened.
            The crash woke me out of a dream I was having... where a kid dinged my Cadillac with his door. I'm dreaming about minor damage as my other car sustains major damage!

I was looking forward to driving the thing again, though partially to decide if I wanted to keep it or not. A LOT has changed since 2007 in the car world, and my highly modified CB7 is barely even a blip on the performance radar anymore. Still, there was something about it... the way it felt, the way it smelled, the way it sounded... that was MY car. I'm not sure a replacement CB7 will feel the same. I know my old 92 DX didn't (though I crashed that largely because I forgot I wasn't in the 92 LX with better tires and suspension...)

I think at this point, I might just move on. I won't move on from the CB7 community, as this is still my home, but I think for the most part, I've already moved on from the car. I think maybe I have quite some time ago, as I'm not nearly as upset as I probably should be! I'm more upset about the Mini.

Originally posted by Theos92VR4 View Post
            holy SHIT man! that guy seriously must have been flying! Enough speed to flip a car like that on a small residential road

Sorry to hear about you and your fiancé's car! The damage on hers looks like it wouldn't be too terribly bad to fix, then again I don't know much about the price of mini cooper parts.

if you need anything let me know!
            Thanks man!
            Mini parts are pretty pricey. It's still a BMW, if a "cheap" one. And she had the S model, which had a VERY tight engine bay thanks to the supercharger. Looks like no structural damage, but there may be severe damage under the hood. We didn't try to pop the hood or start the car, just in case we made it worse before an adjuster looked at it.

Comment

Originally posted by laz93se View Post
              Wow , that's just ridiculous. Freaking assholes always have a way of screwing shit up with out even trying.
              Ain't that the truth!

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
              I'll take the opposite tack (but I'm a sucker for saving one). Take the wheel off and see what's bent. Maybe just suspension parts, worst case crossmembers, a lot of wrenching?
              The frame looks like it's pretty bent. That part had been repaired in the past, before I owned it, so it already had inferior cheapie parts on it. Plus the rusty hole where my CAI went through surely didn't add any support!
              The front crossmember had been replaced with a Collective Racing traction bar shortly before I took it off the road. Due to the previous accident, the bar didn't line up properly... so it was welded to the frame.

Comment

Well, I guess it is time to have a tear down party.

I wonder if the guy was drunk
                Gary A.K.A. Carter
                [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

My car had similar damage after a wreck i got in years ago, i bought a parts car from a member and fixed it, but it has not ever been the same the care does not feel sporty anymore even when it was lowered 2.5 inches.

Just cut your losses sorry man.

That poor poor mini, my girlfriend has an 06 and they are nice little cars.

my ride

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    TStill, there was something about it... the way it felt, the way it smelled, the way it sounded... that was MY car. I'm not sure a replacement CB7 will feel the same.
                    I think I had a similar predicament, though not brought on by the same circumstances. When I got back into a CB7 after a hiatus, it was on New Year's Day 2012. It was a white 1993 EX coupe with a 5-speed that I drove to Little Rock, AR to trailer back as it didn't run. I kept it as my primary car for 2.5 years before finally deciding that it's problems made it feel less personal to me. I got tired of fixing all of the little things one has to do because of poor maintenance of the previous owner, and the rust was the icing on the cake.

That's when I decided to abandon that in favor of something that was a solid base. Something that was still a good and reliable car when all of the qualities I looked for in a modification platform were stripped from the equation. That's what I found in Seattle. I think I could have polished the paint and driven it another 300,000 miles with timing jobs, a clutch and fluids.

It's just a different feeling when you're in one that you're not having to apologize for the condition of. Enough so that even though it's not my first one (or even my fifth one-actually sixth), it still feels somewhat sentimental.

In my opinion, the car modification hobby can do what it likes. I may or may not strive for a super high hp build someday when I have the space to dedicate projects like that too. But that still doesn't prevent me from owning a car that I really enjoy that doesn't have a role in the new environment. Your situation is a little different as space comes at a premium, but I only mean to say that someday it's going to be okay to own one that isn't "yours", and that your feelings toward it might even be better off.
                    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

That is true.
                      Though there's just something about the feel and smell of my car that no other CB has. Even now, when I got in to pop the hood, the smell brought me back. At this point, I've put 3x the number of miles on the Fit as I have the CB7, and I've driven it for about 2 years longer (the CB7 was driven from 01 to 07, parked for a year, driven for a few months again, then parked until its death today.)

I popped the hood. Minimal visible underhood damage, though when I closed the hood it overlapped on the fender. Even if I were to get it pulled, I doubt it would ever truly track straight again. However, perhaps someone would be interested in trying...

Comment

Rip Cb7

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                        01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                        93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                        93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

I'd sleep on it for a couple days and weigh your options. There are always clean shells you can swap parts to that can be had, especially here in AZ for about 500 bucks. Parting out a car, though lucrative, is a LONG drawn out process.

I drove my CB today after DDin'g my 97 LS400 for the last 2 weeks and it definitely has a unique driving experience, similar greenhouse to the NSX, no blind spots, perfect visibility and outward view in any direction you look. Great sight lines of the road down the hood.

I like having that feeling every once in a while going from modern cars loaded with power everything and considerably heavier to a back to basics, simplistic, more direct driving experience.

I've had my CB since 2003 and I feel that even though it doesn't stand a chance to basic midsize family cars with all the mods i've done to it, the car just feels special everytime I sit in it.

member's ride thread
                          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                          91 Accord SE 176k
                          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Dang it man, thats terrible. Get your insurance on it, fast. I totally my wagon back in October. They shelled out 1100 for the loss (170 they took out because I didn't let them take the car). I think its cause I painted it and it looked like it was in excellent condition aside from a cracked windshield, or maybe cause told the adjuster guy who took pics of it that I did upgrades to the car and that increases its value. Anyway, I get to keep the engine and the car and I got a check, its really not too bad at all really.

Mine got pretty messed up, air bag went off.

I wrecked mine driving too fast on a road I didn't know and it was raining a lot. Locked the brakes up on this crazy hairpin , skid off the road and hit a gate post. I don't even know what I was thinking or what someone put in my drink to drive like that in those conditions . I wasn't really even drinking much I mean, I'm serious. Anyways don't drive impaired it could cost you your life. This was right after, like a month after I swapped the engine over.

I liked that engine, it was nice. I think I'm just going to get into the prelude scene I found this 5th gen for a price I can't really pass up on. Preludes are nice deev maybe you should get one of them lmao. I'm serious tho. Like a SH model.
                            Last edited by Mishakol129; 12-07-2015, 05:34 AM.
                            “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
                            ― Jeremy Clarkson

Very first tear down and rebuild. vvv
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Current Build, F23 block F22b dohc head:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203144

Comment

Preludes are nice, I just picked up a 5th gen base as well.

x2 on the BB6

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                              X