CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > 4th Gen-eral > Other Automotive > Other Automotive Members Rides

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #121
H311RA151N
Silver Member

H311RA151N seems to have made some friends! H311RA151N seems to have made some friends!
Parts I bought today.

Got the front brakes done. What a bitch. Rear's will be tomorrow. Then it will have all new brakes. Which on a truck this heavy (6000lbs) that's a good thing.

It was a lot of work just getting to this point...

Dual piston calipers.

Old front brake hose vs new.

All put back together.

Yay! Just what I always fuckin' wanted... More bullshit.

I hate this design. But it is a strong design. I'll give it that.

Aaand this one is back together. Bleeder broke off on it too. I will have to bleed the brakes through the brake hose where it meets the caliper. I have had to do that before on other vehicles and it sucks but it works just the same.

-----------------------------------------In The Tetons----------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryaccordy View Post
Holy fuck, it's the weekend man.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-11-2014 at 07:23 PM.
H311RA151N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #122
H311RA151N
Silver Member

H311RA151N seems to have made some friends! H311RA151N seems to have made some friends!
Friday I'm back at it.

-Rear brakes. (Wheel cylinders, shoes and hardware).
-Brakes bleed.
-Block heater installed.
-Battery cables made and installed.

-----------------------------------------In The Tetons----------------------------------------------
Quote:

Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-11-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #123
wildBill83
CB7tuner Member

wildBill83 seems to have made some friends!
Got an easy-out you can use on the broken bleeder?
wildBill83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #124
H311RA151N
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildBill83 View Post
Got an easy-out you can use on the broken bleeder?
Unless you can put 50+ftlbs on an easy-out it's not coming out. Which may be possible I'm just not very knowledgeable with easy-outs. IIRC It's a 3/8 bleeder and I was on it with a 1/2" drive ratchet and socket. I tried the constant pressure method for a while and then gave it a bit more muscle and they snapped. Plus each one soaked in PB Blaster for 2 hours before attempting to remove.

I know I can drill them out and re-tap but they are a royal fucking bitch to remove/install. I hate this design... and that's an understatement. If I had to drill, and re-tap I will have to remove the mother fuckers again... not to mention the lug nuts alone are hell. Long winded and tighter than hell the whole way.

I'm hoping I can gravity bleed and then bleed with the hoses. The rear brakes are getting new wheel cylinders which is good. The guys on FTE told me those would be the same damn way.

I may try an easy out. I can get new calipers for $50 each but I have to order the stupid things. I guess I'm just being a bitch here... I have just drained myself on this thing staying after it like I have been. So I apologize for my bitchiness and slight negativity.

Quote:
Old 11-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #125
wildBill83
CB7tuner Member

wildBill83 seems to have made some friends!
No worries, I understand the frustration. Trust me, stop in at Sears and pick up a craftsman easy out set. It will make your life easier. I had to do the same on a '71 F-Series.

They hold my weight in torque I can tell you that from experience.
wildBill83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #126
H311RA151N
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildBill83 View Post
No worries, I understand the frustration. Trust me, stop in at Sears and pick up a craftsman easy out set. It will make your life easier. I had to do the same on a '71 F-Series.

They hold my weight in torque I can tell you that from experience.
No shit? Well thanks man. Looks like I'm going to Sears tomorrow!

Quote:
Old 11-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #127
H311RA151N
Silver Member

Where I'm at now. Both front calipers are pulled off for cores. Ordered some new ones from Autozone that will be here Monday $100 a pair plus $30 core a pair. Not bad.

I tried an easy out. It just wouldn't quite get them out. The bleeders were in there good.

Quote:

Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-11-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #128
XCRN
CB7tuner Member

XCRN is cool... so far.
Wow that is really good price even at Autozone. It seems like every few days something big is done, and at this rate you will end up with a new truck soon.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current
XCRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #129
H311RA151N
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRN View Post
Wow that is really good price even at Autozone. It seems like every few days something big is done, and at this rate you will end up with a new truck soon.
I know now that I need to get the bleeders red hot before I attempt to remove them in the future. It's a common problem I guess. Yeah, tomorrow will be another big day. Plus some things I have not documented yet. I just hope to be done soon and have a truck I don't have to worry or wonder about. This thing was seriously neglected and there is no reason for it. It's a good truck. It's a little rough body wise but I'm glad, I don't have to worry about scratching it.

Quote:
Old 11-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #130
Accrdwgnguy
Contributing Member

Accrdwgnguy seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Accrdwgnguy
Use Marine grade anti-seize on everything, regular anti-seize gets washed away after a while.
Accrdwgnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #131
H311RA151N
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
Use Marine grade anti-seize on everything, regular anti-seize gets washed away after a while.
I have some of that... somewhere. Since I sold my boat I might have misplaced it. But Bumper to Bumper is just 1.5 miles down the road.

Quote:
Old 11-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #132
H311RA151N
Silver Member

Scattered progress today.

New starter solenoid installed. Positive battery cable fabricated and installed. Battery tray is in a bolted down. Coolant overflow tank is in and bolted in.

Battery tray bolted in.

Coolant overflow tank installed.

Block heater awaiting installation.

Freeze plug I'm going to remove.

Process of soldering the ends on the new batter cables.

Quote:

Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-12-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #133
H311RA151N
Silver Member

Hold up on the brakes is this truck has pre '86 front calipers. The correct calipers were ordered this morning and will be here tomorrow. I ordered 1985 calipers and they will be the right ones.

I still yet need to fabricate an exhaust gasket.

Tomorrow I will be ordering the following:

Wiper Motor
Wiper Switch
Blower Control Switch
Blower Motor Resistor
Blower Motor
Blower Motor Wheel

Turn Signal Switch With Tilt
Parking Light Sockets
Marker Light Sockets
Front Turn Signal Sockets
Duralast Headlight Dimmer Switch

Ignition Switch
Ignition Lock Cylinder & Key

Power Steering Pump With Reservoir
Power Steering Hose
Fan To Power Steering Pump Belts
Alternator Belts

All of the above stuff is easy. The worst is behind me.

Quote:
Old 12-04-2014, 05:38 AM   #134
H311RA151N
Silver Member

Front brake calipers will be in at noon today. Then the entire front brake system will be completely replaced other than rotors and hard lines. Which neither are in any way in need of replacement.

For the rear brakes I have discovered I have to pull the axle shafts. Which is kinda a pain. However I have to go into the rear brakes as my park brake drags a bit and I don't know how long it's been doing that for.

I have new wheel cylinders, shoes and hardware kits for the rear (which is pictured previously in this thread). So everything other than the drums will be replaced on the rear. And I'm putting in all new parking brake cables while I'm there. As that's more than likely why the rear brakes were dragging in the first place. There is a front cable and two rear cables. Surprisingly only $40 for all three.

Today is the last time I plan to throw half my paycheck at this thing. One good thing is spending several hundred dollars at a time (like I will drop about $600 today) you really rack up the rewards with Autozone. I'm digging the shit out of Autozone these days.

Quote:

Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-12-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #135
H311RA151N
Silver Member

First pic with the new camera. Power steering pump, dimmer switch, wiper switch, the right calipers, and windshield wiper motor.

Quote:

Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-20-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #136
H311RA151N
Silver Member

Still learning my new camera.

New brake calipers.

Wiper switch.

In the process of testing new wiper motor. Making sure there are no hidden issues before proceeding.

Cowl removed. Twas a bitch.

Old seized up wiper motor.

Part of dash removed routing wires properly.

Quote:

Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-20-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #137
H311RA151N
Silver Member

Windshield wipers working flawlessly. Which is a must. Power steering pump removed, have yet to remove the pulley. Replacing all belts while I'm at it.

Cowl put back on, new wiper motor installed, wiper arms and antenna back on. I adjusted the wipers a bit higher up on the windshield when in the fully down position to avoid so much snow and ice to settling on them. It actually looks like how they were supposed to be by looking at the path they take on the windshield. But that's not how they were before. They were too low.

PS pump removed. It wasn't too hard. The lines are a different story... I need to buy a new set of line wrenches as my set doesn't go up to 5/8's. Here you can see how the old pump was just pissing PSF everywhere. The previous owner told me about the pump being shot and said he had to add PSF every time he drove it. Which was about once a week in the fall for 6 years and about 30 miles each drive. So everything on that side of the engine bay is covered in PSF and debris had been sticking to the fluid for years. So once I get this thing on the road again it's going to get inspected, to the DMV for tags, and then straight to the car wash. I have some real good degreaser to use on it. So good that it will eat the bottom out of an aluminum coke can in 15 minutes if not diluted down to 50/50.

Power Steering Pump. Pulley needs to be removed in order to get the bracket off. And I need to reuse the pulley as well on my new pump.

Quote:

Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-20-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #138
illinois_erik
CB7tuner Member

illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful
50/50 thing;using some semi truck alloy wheel "refresher" ?
Old 12-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #139
H311RA151N
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinois_erik View Post
50/50 thing;using some semi truck alloy wheel "refresher" ?
Damn your good! That's almost the exact shit I have. My stepmother is a trucker, has been for over 20 years. She gave me 5 gallons of the stuff from when she was driving a private rig up in Canada.

Quote:
Old 12-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #140
illinois_erik
CB7tuner Member

illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by H311RA151N View Post
Damn your good! That's almost the exact shit I have. My stepmother is a trucker, has been for over 20 years. She gave me 5 gallons of the stuff from when she was driving a private rig up in Canada.
heh, its good shit, make the crusties look new even more banging when theye polished out. gets rid of almost all of the pitting even some rash

Last edited by illinois_erik; 12-05-2014 at 04:22 PM.
illinois_erik is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: