Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something I read while being a googler:

TLDR:
    1) Don't consent to a search no matter what.
    2) If they keep asking questions, ask them if you're being detained or if you're free to go.
    3) They can't search your car without your consent or probable cause.
    4) Don't listen to people who play along.
    5) Five cops have asked to look under my hood since I started asserting my rights, those five cops still don't know what was under my hood.

EDIT: Those smog checks are VOLUNTARY and not required. In the state of California it's not legal to force people to allow you to check their emissions systems or vehicles on the fly. If you come through a smog check on the freeway, DECLINE TO PARTICIPATE. Ask if you're free to go.

Here's my advice, as a former repeat violator who now has 3 years clean regardless of getting pulled over. My former vehicles: 1968 Pontiac Firebird with Formula 400 and Flowmaster exhaust that set off car alarms with its idle, 1990 Mustang 5.0 GT with Flowmaster exhaust that set off car alarms with its idle, 1993 Honda Civic with B18C1 transplant, full bolt-on's, Rota Attack (Yeah, I know) and tinted windows and now a MK5 GTI.

1) Don't listen to anyone who says "just be cooperative, the less you act like a dick, the less the cop will act like a dick". This is a bag of shit and whoever is telling you this is either someone who doesn't live in California in hot areas (like Fremont or Irvine, CA or National City SD, etc) or someone who doesn't mind bending over and getting reamed by fees. Until a judge decides so, months away, you are not LEGALLY guilty of jack shit. Hell, you could've just ran over three people and you're not guilty until a system says you are and even then, there's appeals.

So no, don't be cooperative unless they're not trying to violate your rights.

2) "Am I free to go?" - A cop asks you questions because your answers incriminate you. If he asks you, "So what do you have on this car?", almost anything you say can be interpreted as probable cause. I don't care if it's CARB legal, verified by the state and stamped by the district attorney's penis. Don't say shit. Ask him if you're free to go. In the State of California, a police officer cannot detain you against your will unless he is charging you with a crime or serving a warrant.

Plain and simple, if you are being detained, he has to charge you or let you go. Get familiar with these two phrases:
    "Am I free to go?"
    "Am I under arrest?"

You don't have to say anything OTHER than that. If he asks you for driver's license, registration, give him those documents and that's it. A speeding violation is NOT probable cause to search your hood. Deny the search even if he threatens to tow your car. It's going to be him who has to show the court justification for why he towed your car when you are a licensed driver with insurance and registration who was only speeding by 10 MPH.

3) "No, you may not search my vehicle." If he implicitly asks you or even INSTRUCTS you to open your door or pop your hood, voice yourself, "I don't consent to a search of my vehicle." If he asks if you're hiding something, "Am I being detained?" and go back to the loop of "Am I free to go?" He will try to change the subject. Cops are less like investigators and more like scam artists on the phone trying to trick you into saying the right combination of words so they can screw you.

Trust me. Cops aren't out there thinking, "I'm gonna pull people over and whoever's nice will get to go." They're hoping you're nice and compliant so they can maximize the citations they get in a timely manner. If they're going to spend 30 minutes with you, get no consent to search and only get a 10-15 speeding violation without any ERO's, modified parts or etc then they're wasting their time. Compliant people are like scoring that extended warranty sale as a Best Buy salesmen.

This is ESPECIALLY true for CHP. City cops don't NEED citations to meet budget. They're funded separately by tax payer contributions and city provisions. CHP on the other hand is STATE FUNDED, meaning they DO have a "quota" for citations to meet. They're not in it for the "protect and serve", they're in it for the "serve tickets". A city cop will use tricks so he can figure out if you're committing a bigger crime, because a narcotics charge or a weapons charge is juicier for him than a moving violation and a referee appointment and gets him closer to a sergeant badge or detective test.

If a CHP pulls you over, your chances of getting a moving violation ticket or any kind of modifications ticket just went up double compared to a city cop.

4) Don't have anything stupid in plain view. Don't be a jackass about things that incriminate you. If you have a "glass vase" in your backseat, a "High Life" sticker or a marijuana logo somewhere or your car smells like vape, you're a dumbass because you just gave a cop probable cause. Your car is a hatchback for a reason. A cop can use things in your car as "probable cause" but it HAS to be seen/smelled. Because if you deny consent, he has to PROVE why it was a legal search. My friend had his entire docket thrown out of court because he voiced a denial of consent and the cop tried to use his boost gauge as probable cause.
    Public defender argued that a boost gauge is not an illegal modification and that the defendant didn't consent to a search so everything under the hood was discovered against his right to privacy and against his will. Judge threw it out.

You have rights. Don't appear a threat. Do NOT consent to search or answer questions. Knowing and asserting your rights isn't the same as being belligerent or violent with cops. There's a difference between being peaceful and being passive.

Passive people can give up their rights all they want and pay the extra tax to the judicial system. Let them. **** them, I say. But YOU do not have to be that way.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc...h-your-vehicle

http://www.flexyourrights.org/faqs/w...ce-ask-for-id/

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/06/s...-i-free-to-go/

http://www.flexyourrights.org/faqs/w...arch-your-car/

Oh and if you have a GoPro, as soon as you're pulled over, start recording, keep the window down just enough to talk to him (or even all the way down if your car doesn't smell like weed), lock the doors and let him know as SOON as he gets to the car, "Officer, I am video recording everything. I will not shut down my recording device, my attorney advised me I do not have to." Knowing they're on tape and they can't destroy it makes them VERY weary of what they say or do. Having it recorded that you declined a search and that you had nothing illegal in your car can turn a dismissal into a violation of rights charge which costs the city money and makes the police department look VERY bad.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

I just recently learned thru a friend that you can register your vehicle in the state of Montana so long as the car is registed to a business.

Find someone and bam. You AVOID anything California related.

And here I am wanting to move to San Diego.

I'll live Free and Die in NH.
      Henry R
      Koni/Neuspeed
      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
      1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
      made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Nooo! Don't leave! You and I are the only ones I know of with JDM Coupe visors!

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
        1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
        1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
        2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

Originally posted by vietkid_2006 View Post
          Nooo! Don't leave! You and I are the only ones I know of with JDM Coupe visors!
          Lol you and I have the same cars lol, but I have an i4 2011 coupe. I did some changes to it but I haven't posted it yet.

So many people want so many parts and friends come first when it comes to the part out, especially to those who have helped me tremendously with this build. The seller flaked or better yet overslept to meet with me on Monday. He scheduled for a later time that day but unfortunately I have things to take care of as well. So it's scheduled for another day. Meanwhile, I've been researching the hell out of the Z's.

This is how the money dump is looking like:

CB:
          $4XX for "legit" smog
          $800 give or take to fix/replace speedometer and ecu/neptune
          $600 CF Hood

260Z:
          $2350 purchase
          $$$$$ from parts from CB

I was texting itstatcb7kid707 about my mods. In between texts I have racked over 8k in parts. Lots that are rare and impossible to find now. I didn't even get to the interior when I stopped calculating. It may not seem like there is a lot of money invested in this car since it is very subtle looking, but those true CB enthusiasts know exactly what's in this thing.

If this seller of the Z is not persistent, I may pass it up. And yeah, I may keep the CB and Thug Life ride or die til the end. Fck the Po-lice!

Haha, we shall see fellas.

93 'til infinity

Comment

I know someone who can get "legit" smogs done for $300. Not sure where you are located. But if you are in socal near Ventura County, then send me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
              I know someone who can get "legit" smogs done for $300. Not sure where you are located. But if you are in socal near Ventura County, then send me a PM.
              Sup bro. I'm NorCal and have some connects on a few here. It's just a pain every two years when I could get something exempt ya know? In the long run that money can go into mods. I'm weighing the pros and cons and right now the Z is outweighing at the moment.

But thank you for the offer. I appreciate you reaching out bro.

93 'til infinity

Comment

Man that sucks, I didn't realize how bad the laws and crap are out there. I guess its hard for me to understand all the smog rules and junk yall have, cause we don't have anything close to that out here in TN. Heck I've got a buddy with a camaro he built for the drag strip that he drives around sometimes (open headers, slicks and all) and he has been flagged down by cops asking him to rev it up lol.

If at first you don't suceed, then skydiving is not for you.

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

Comment

I swear I saw you post your car on the forum before....your new one that is lol.

Isn't there a age where cars in Cali can be exempt from smog and inspections? Is it not 25 years?

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
                  1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
                  1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
                  2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

Originally posted by thumping_accord View Post
                    Man that sucks, I didn't realize how bad the laws and crap are out there. I guess its hard for me to understand all the smog rules and junk yall have, cause we don't have anything close to that out here in TN. Heck I've got a buddy with a camaro he built for the drag strip that he drives around sometimes (open headers, slicks and all) and he has been flagged down by cops asking him to rev it up lol.
                    That's the other thing. Us Honda owners don't get the respect we deserve. Cops are selective believe it or not. Actually more bias than anything. I've heard of people getting pulled over in their Datsuns (thus it being Japanese) and just being asked about their car and the cops memories having or being in one. It's more respected on the road I suppose.

93 'til infinity

Comment

Originally posted by vietkid_2006 View Post
                      I swear I saw you post your car on the forum before....your new one that is lol.

Isn't there a age where cars in Cali can be exempt from smog and inspections? Is it not 25 years?
                      The Governator shut it down. It used to be 25 or 30 rolling years. He stopped it at 75. The Z is a 74. That would've meant the CRX's would soon if not already be exempt and be street beasts.

93 'til infinity

Comment

wow ant im at a loss for words i waited so long for the unveiling of your car back on all 4 wheels. and this is the demise it was destined for:/.what if u just made it soley a track car? ive toyed around with that idea with my 4dr too. but i cant let go of it. too much time and money invested in it. my other build i got going on right now is just craving attention. but i dont have the funds to put it together right now so i have it as a daily it sucks. i'm sure warudakumi will help u source bits for the z. good luck with whatever u decide to do man. if ya need anything lmk, i'll be paitiently waiting for any parts listed should u go that route.
                        <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Originally posted by tommi View Post
                          What if u just made it soley a track car?
                          Going off of this idea, why not come see what she can do at Sonoma Raceway with me? See how you like tracking this car. If you just love it, then you can sell the interior goodies, any emissions related parts, and trailer the car to the track to race! You have a solid 13s car on your hands right now, and it will turn some heads and generate quite a bit of interest (not that this is the point or anything). You will have fun, and not have to worry about smog or refs or anything related to that. My car is headed down this path very soon, and I don't regret it one bit!
                          *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                          ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                          ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                          "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                          The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                          Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

I have to say dude...your car is 1 of the most perfectly built CBs not only on this site, but anywhere, period.

I had mine for over 12 years and freakin loved it...but it wasn't anywhere near being done or as awesome as what you have done with yours! There are really only a handful of inspiring builds with these cars anymore, and it would seriously be a shame to see yours go away. I, and the rest of us, completely understand that in the end, the decision to keep it or part ways with it is solely yours...but take it from someone like me that sold theirs and regrets it every day, and really think about the big picture before you do anything.

I ended up selling mine so the wife & I could get a jumpstart on paying our debt off, and we're about to reach that goal soon, but I swear every time I see a CB on the road I start daydreaming again. Now I'm at the point where even though I said that I wouldn't ever buy another 1, I just might do it anyways. Wifey said that once the debt is gone I can get whatever I want and start over...but sometimes I just wonder what could have been...or still could be!

Anyways, all I'm saying is, what you have in your garage right now is unique & special...so make the right decision for you and that beautiful work of art that you've created. The cops can't mess with you or your car if it's parked safe & secure at your house, right?
                            Still hustlin that Old Skool.......it never ends.

vv My Member's Ride Thread vv
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=123371

Comment

Originally posted by sideswipe View Post
                              I have to say dude...your car is 1 of the most perfectly built CBs not only on this site, but anywhere, period.

I had mine for over 12 years and freakin loved it...but it wasn't anywhere near being done or as awesome as what you have done with yours! There are really only a handful of inspiring builds with these cars anymore, and it would seriously be a shame to see yours go away. I, and the rest of us, completely understand that in the end, the decision to keep it or part ways with it is solely yours...but take it from someone like me that sold theirs and regrets it every day, and really think about the big picture before you do anything.

I ended up selling mine so the wife & I could get a jumpstart on paying our debt off, and we're about to reach that goal soon, but I swear every time I see a CB on the road I start daydreaming again. Now I'm at the point where even though I said that I wouldn't ever buy another 1, I just might do it anyways. Wifey said that once the debt is gone I can get whatever I want and start over...but sometimes I just wonder what could have been...or still could be!

Anyways, all I'm saying is, what you have in your garage right now is unique & special...so make the right decision for you and that beautiful work of art that you've created. The cops can't mess with you or your car if it's parked safe & secure at your house, right?
                              This. I wrecked mine but seriously. I own a car now thats "better" than a cb but honestly im still looking for another cb and I really regret not just buying another one when I had the chance. Please think about it because id hate for someone to feel the way I do when they see another cb rolling around
                              Looking for a new CB. Sell me yours!

Comment

im not saying sell the cb7 or part it out because i did both but please don't get some hunk of shit datzun Z car.

my vw is somewhat illegal but i also don't drive it. ive also been watching youtube videos on not consenting to searches and questions. provide license, reg and insurance and just accept the ticket (if you are at fault for something) and move on.

police don't pull over my zombie response vehicle either.
                                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                                X