Valve adjustment issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjustment issue

My buddy and I are doing his Valve clearance and We know the specs and I've read and re-read the hayne's manual and watched eric the car guys video...but here's the issue

All the Valves seemed too tight after we changed his lower spark plug tube seals so I figured we would do the valve lash because now it had a valve tick that wasn't there before.

I am Turning the engine over by the PS Pump and the exhaust valve closest to the Cam gear is snapping(lack of a better term) shut every time it opens cause I went around and did all the intake side first then I was gonna do the exhaust side last and then double check afterwards.

any thoughts on whats going on?

is it just that, that exhaust valve is too tight and I just need to finish?

side note:we did try and start the car after the tube seal change and it was snapping closed really fast so we cut the engine ASAP...its not a DD at the moment due to my buddy not having his licence so we're in no rush to fix it.

Info

289000km
    Auto
    original engine and tranny
    no mods, bone stock EXR
    MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202004
    1992 Accord EX(Canadian)Seattle Silver sedan

Originally posted by Jking72 View Post
    ... All the Valves seemed too tight after we changed his lower spark plug tube seals ....
    The assembly should be the same as when you took it off. Maybe some play in the rockers.

Hmm, i'm thinking this may be the problem. Did you torque the valve train assembly bolts? Did the unit go back on correctly (it is spring loaded)?

Comment

That's why I'm confused, I did my lower tube seals about 2yrs ago now and it was easy, no issues.

Yes all the rocker bolts were torqued properly and it went on the right way...

I'll maybe take a video if I find anything out of there ordinary, after I get off work though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jking72 View Post
        That's why I'm confused, I did my lower tube seals about 2yrs ago now and it was easy, no issues.

Yes all the rocker bolts were torqued properly and it went on the right way...

I'll maybe take a video if I find anything out of there ordinary, after I get off work though.
        Yep. I'd take the assembly off again and put back on. Maybe a tube seal came out and is jammed.

Comment

so finally got around to check whats going on and we noticed that the left rocker arm(pair closest to the cam gear) in the picture is misaligned...

the right side one closest to the cam gear had some play, it can move left and right about 1cm...

so whats the next move? or is it fucked?

Comment

Sounds like one of the keys in the assembly moved and now it's causing issues. Did you guys make sure the assembly sat correctly before you bolted it down?
            Originally posted by Mishakol129
            Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

it sat fine so we didn't bother double checking...tired ass brain fart.

so just unbolt and realign then?

Comment

That's what I would suggest.
                Originally posted by Mishakol129
                Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

yep. take the assembly fully off. Check things over, then put back on.

Comment

All things should go back easily if properly aligned.

I agree with the above to reset the situation by removing it and trying again.

Very important to tighten it in the correct sequence.

But above all check and constantly check that it is seating properly as you tighten it (not doing so can place undue pressure on the cam or other parts which may bend or at worse snap). First time I tried to sit it I nearly bent or snapped something as I was tightening and tightening when it was not going down flat and evenly.

Once you think you are done, check if it is sitting squarely. The spot to check (even if you have tightened it all to spec) is at both ends (distributor side and cam shaft seal side) checking that the metal parts mates flat and true.

I say that because the bolts may reach specified torque settings but the alignment can still be off.
                    Rides:

Accord
                    92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                    96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                    88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                    92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                    95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                    92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                    91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                    91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                    91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                    91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

I suggest backing off all the valve adjusting screws so that the torque on the rocker assembly bolts is properly going to seat the assembly, not compress valve springs. Then adjust the valves.
                      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

alright thanks for the advise gents, we're gonna try and get at it either wednesday or thursday if not then then late in the weekend...

will update with results.

Comment

Working...
                        X