Thermostat advice....smart or just programmable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermostat advice....smart or just programmable

I just moved into my new apartment and i came to discover that the thermostat in it is an ancient mercury filled death box, non digital, non programmable, and very inaccurate.

Would you guys recommend one of those Nest smart tstats or just a basic Honeywell programmable one?

I was thinking the RTH6450, I can get one New in box for 35.

I also found a guy selling a new in box Nest for 175.

My lease is for a least a year, do you think I can save that much having the Nest?

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

The nest is a pretty cool gadget to have but I think you could save the same amount of money no matter which unit you use so long as you are on top of it and adjust it as necessary. Worse comes to worse you take it with you after you leave.

Also if you do get a Nest, this could happen dada da dada

Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Make sure it's ok with your complex/landlord before changing something like that.

My girlfriend's cousin works for Nest, which has now been bought out by Google. I think it's a cool thing, and I can foresee expanded functionality over the years... but as it is now, I don't see the point. If you were investing in a house or condo that you planned on living in and upgrading for the next 5+ years, then I'd say Nest would be a great choice. Since it's just an apartment that I'm assuming you're renting, I wouldn't bother. Honestly, if the old thermostat is working fine, I wouldn't even bother upgrading it unless you absolutely NEED a programmable unit! I've had my ancient dial unit since I moved into my house in 2003. Keep saying "I should upgrade that", but never do... because it works just fine.

So, in short... check with your complex/landlord to make sure it's ok. Then if you absolutely want an upgraded thermostat, the Honeywell unit should serve your purposes just fine. Go Nest when you buy a long term residence.

Comment

To each his own. Personally, I wanted something programmable and cost effective. I have that particular Honeywell model and it has done me well. It did screw me over with daylight savings, but then again its just a thermostat.
        Originally posted by cb7dazz
        And you're english is much better than some people on this board and it's their primary language.
        Originally posted by Jarrett
        ...for example

Comment

I have a programmable Honeywell too.

It works good, no complains, does what It is supposed to do.

As far as Nest, I would not spend $175 on a tstat unless you needed specific functions that the reg tstats don't provide.

And I read extensive reviews on the Nest units(primarily version 2) and a lot of people were having issues with the units being confused about whether the space was occupied or not. That could actually COST you money if the thing malfunctions when you are away and cools your house ALL DAY.

Programmable are easy. Set it and forget it. Sometimes less is more.

Comment

I actually found a college girl selling hers New in Box for 50 bucks, BUT, catch is I have to go and pick it up, she doesn't have a car. She's in northern AZ, about 100 miles away. Pics looked legit and i could see it was unopened. I was thinking I'd make a roadtrip of it to go through some nice curvy roads while going up. Gas would be about 20-25 bucks I'd say.

btw, this is my old thermostat I'm working with. Its pretty ancient lol.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
            X