Bulkhead replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bulkhead replacement

So I have been looking at my coupe that I put in a ditch about 4 years ago. I have been further assessing the damages that I did, and I realize all I need was the bulkhead to be replaced and that car will be like new again. Has anyone done this and what kind of project am I getting myself in to. I have already priced the parts, now it's matter of buying and getting the parts put in. Any advice would great! Thanks!
    The CB7 Collector.
    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
    92 LX Coupe F22A1
    2013 Toyota Corolla S
    92 EX Sedan F22A1
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

I don't think he'll mind me naming him but HenRoc had this done on his CB although it was done at a professional body/frame shop. I guess if you were to DIY you'd need spot weld cutters and a welder but I'm no expert on this. I'm sure Fleetwood will chime in too, that's right up his alley!

Comment

When you say bulk head what do you mean? The front core support were the rad and everything mounts too?

Here's a diy on removing the old core support and installing a new one, fairly simple just takes time and you need a spot welder to install the new core support. I helped my brother do one on his 89' civic hatch, took about a day to do.
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=185221

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
        When you say bulk head what do you mean? The front core support were the rad and everything mounts too?

Here's a diy on removing the old core support and installing a new one, fairly simple just takes time and you need a spot welder to install the new core support. I helped my brother do one on his 89' civic hatch, took about a day to do.
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=185221
        When I say bulkhead basically the whole front end.
        The CB7 Collector.
        92 LX Coupe F22A1
        2013 Toyota Corolla S
        92 EX Sedan F22A1
        Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Originally posted by HappyGilmore View Post
          When I say bulkhead basically the whole front end.
          I would just buy a clean shell and swap everything over if the frame rails leading to cabin are damaged.It would be much cheaper then getting it fixed since these are uni-bodies you can ruin the chassis easily buy cutting into it the wrong way or not having it braced right.

Now if your talking about the sub frames those just bolt on and can get found in plenty of pick and pulls for cheap. So what parts have you gotten together for this project your thinking of doing? So I have a better idea of what all you want to do. Almost sounds like you want to weld on a new "front clip" including frame rails and such.

Comment

Pictures would help us help you. As stated earlier, the radiator support would be fairly easy. If you are indeed talking about the whole front end (forward of the windshield), that's a different story. Also as mentioned, if you're talking just about the cross members, they just involve a lot of wrenching and contorting to get to the power steering lines running across the cross member below the fire wall. Search for "Rescuing Ruby" and "Saving Silver" for how I replaced quarter panels and right front structure by cutting welds and rewelding new pieces in.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
              Pictures would help us help you. As stated earlier, the radiator support would be fairly easy. If you are indeed talking about the whole front end (forward of the windshield), that's a different story. Also as mentioned, if you're talking just about the cross members, they just involve a lot of wrenching and contorting to get to the power steering lines running across the cross member below the fire wall. Search for "Rescuing Ruby" and "Saving Silver" for how I replaced quarter panels and right front structure by cutting welds and rewelding new pieces in.
              I have read that thread so many times actually! One of my favorites to date!

But here is what I am dealing with.

The CB7 Collector.
              92 LX Coupe F22A1
              2013 Toyota Corolla S
              92 EX Sedan F22A1

Comment

Originally posted by HappyGilmore View Post
                I have read that thread so many times actually! One of my favorites to date!

But here is what I am dealing with.

Any pics of the side frame rails and where they meet the front core support areas? This look like you might be able to get lucky since its more towards the center versus off to one side and may only need to replace the front core support, and not the bulk head side rails.

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
                  Any pics of the side frame rails and where they meet the front core support areas? This look like you might be able to get lucky since its more towards the center versus off to one side and may only need to replace the front core support, and not the bulk head side rails.
                  Yeah that's the only part that is damaged. I tried to bend it back out, so maybe just the core support part itself then?
                  The CB7 Collector.
                  92 LX Coupe F22A1
                  2013 Toyota Corolla S
                  92 EX Sedan F22A1

Comment

The sections above the headlights appear to be pushed back, or are the headlight assemblies loose and hanging forward?

The top edge of each end of the lower cross member tucks behind the headlight support piece. If you're careful, you can cut the exposed spot welds and carefully cut through (using a cutoff wheel) just the thickness of the lower cross member where it meets the head light support to remove the lower cross member without screwing with the headlight supports. Get a new cross member from a junk yard (use a sawzall to cut the frame box behind it and headlight support around it), cut/separate the spot welds from the back to leave the flanges intact, step the upper edge at each end to fit over the head light support (instead of tucking it behind) and weld it in place. The upper and center supports can simply be unbolted and replaced.
                    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 06-07-2016, 12:35 AM.
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                    X