Focus st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Focus st

Apparently FR-S’s are unobtainium anywhere near me for less than 20k..

I know I stated RWD before, but I’ve been looking around at these Ford ST models. They only come with manual transmissions, have WAY more power than the 86, 5 door hatch, turbo 4 that puts out 250hp/270tq. The styling is aggressive and I’m liking what I see. They have CarPlay, nice wheel design, color changing LED lights on interior bits, Recaro seats, and some of the models come with carbon fiber interior trim/shift knob.

Does anybody here have personal experience with these? The only TSB/recall I’m seeing is just a harness issue that causes drivability issues. Certified used ones with lower mileage are right in my price range 16-17k so.. they’re looking really good to me right now.

If you’re considering the Focus ST, don’t discount its little brother, the Fiesta ST. Not as powerful, but they’re spunky, chuckable little things!

I haven’t had much experience with either, and I’m not terribly impressed with the non-performance variants that I’ve been in, but overall reviews seem to be quite positive. Both are on my radar as potential upgrades. I actually tried to talk my wife into the Fiesta ST to replace her smashed Mini.

Comment

The Focus ST is a really fun car. I've had a couple come thru work as used cars, both under 30,000 miles. 1 of them had already had a trans put in it. I haven't heard of too much with them other than the My Ford Touch screen likes to glitch quite a bit and the rear motor mount is too soft and goes out quickly. Cobb makes a stiffer mount for it. Iv'e heard also that the trannies are crap but I can't confirm that. Every car ever made has has some inherent design flaws, but the Focus ST doesn't seem to have as many issues as others. (As far as I know)

The FR-S/BR-Z is more in the Miata class, and would eat the MX-5 (new Miata) alive. Ford did this to the Focus to go against the WRX, and I must say they knocked it outta the park IMO. The Focus RS is even more impressive being 350 hp 350 tq! Buuuut quite a bit more expensive.

The FR-S/BR-Z is a very stiff, bumpy ride where the ST feels much more refined. Both are very tight in corners but the FR-S doesn't feel as planted.

The ST is a 5 door, so there is the added cargo room you get, which is nice. The interior to me feels better quality is the ST also, with things like the Recaro seats, (which are sooo comfy and snug).

Good luck your decision I hope this was helpful!

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        If you’re considering the Focus ST, don’t discount its little brother, the Fiesta ST. Not as powerful, but they’re spunky, chuckable little things!

I haven’t had much experience with either, and I’m not terribly impressed with the non-performance variants that I’ve been in, but overall reviews seem to be quite positive. Both are on my radar as potential upgrades. I actually tried to talk my wife into the Fiesta ST to replace her smashed Mini.

The every day Focus is a major piece of garbage, do NOT waste your money on it. The Fiesta ST is pretty nice, but if you are going to pay about the same price, wouldn't you want a little nicer interior and a little more power? Just saying.

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

I just like the look of the Focus over the Fiesta. Both are seriously considered. The price difference also makes the Fiesta appealing. The Fiesta has a 1.6L that puts out 195/207tq on paper, and weighs 500lbs less. The Fiesta kinda reminds me of a jelly bean..

I’ve looked at all the COBB and Mountune stuff for these as well. I’m more impressed by Ford the more I read on these little guys. Ford actually has a tune they will warranty that gives the Focus around 225/330tq at the wheels

Comment

im at ford tech. the st is ok but dont expect big power from it. they usually dont have too many issues other than trans related or a clutch. the sync system can be an issue also. its not a bad little car. i considered one myself a couple years ago but the resale value is terrible. they seem to hold up well though.

the fiesta is a joke lol. if your looking to mess with it, dont bother. plus its a small car so there is no room inside.

get you a 13+ accord v6. mine will walk all over an st lol and its stock.
            COUPE K24

Comment

I was waiting for you to chime in! I’m not expecting huge power, just a good amount to make it fun to daily.

What transmission issues are there?

ALLDATA tsb’s are mostly interior related. Everything else seems to be related to the data wire splice and the rear mount failing. The only engine tsb I’m seeing is for the water pump weep chamber getting stained from vapor.

Some harness rubbing for the power steering & battery harness as well.

Noted on the fiesta.

Edit: metra makes a dash kit for the Focus, so I looked into that due to the MFT being not so great. I figure a nice pioneer with a maestro data interface would be better suited. It’ll show everything through the radio screen that can be pulled from the on board diagnostics.
              Last edited by F22Chris; 06-15-2018, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
                the fiesta is a joke lol. if your looking to mess with it, dont bother.
                Could you explain this a bit? I'm just curious, since to me the Fiesta looks so much cooler than the Focus. Coming from Hondas, I would think anyone here is open minded enough to know that no engine is not worth building up.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Counterpoint - new Civic Si sedan.

Some deride the styling, but I thought the overall experience was superior to the ST.

I've autocrossed the ST and spiritedly driven my friend's new Si (albeit with the Hondata Flash) The Si may be a bit slower but the driving experience is amazing. The ST is likely a bit more neutral in stock form, but the Si can pull a 0.94 on the skidpad and my friend has had a few instances of oversteer he has very much enjoyed.

Comment

The Civic looks like a jet fighter that’s about to transform. The hatchback is even worse. I read somewhere on the ST going up against the Mazda Speed3. They reported 1.17G cornering and .97 lateral.

The Fiesta has a kp39 Borg Warner that’s pushing 20psi from the factory. I’m guessing there’s not much you can do with the Fiesta without getting a bigger turbo.

Comment

Not much to brag about but i'm a owner of a 2016 Focus RS. /the car is a natural beauty and drives amazing.

1992 Honda Accord EX My Ride Thread H23A BLUE TOP Complete

Comment

get yourself one of these. They make a ton of power and look way better than a hatchback.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                          I was waiting for you to chime in! I’m not expecting huge power, just a good amount to make it fun to daily.

What transmission issues are there?

ALLDATA tsb’s are mostly interior related. Everything else seems to be related to the data wire splice and the rear mount failing. The only engine tsb I’m seeing is for the water pump weep chamber getting stained from vapor.

Some harness rubbing for the power steering & battery harness as well.

Noted on the fiesta.

Edit: metra makes a dash kit for the Focus, so I looked into that due to the MFT being not so great. I figure a nice pioneer with a maestro data interface would be better suited. It’ll show everything through the radio screen that can be pulled from the on board diagnostics.
                          its mostly clutch issues. every now and then youll see some serious damage to the trans. it usually varies too. if you want a fun daily, itll be cool. but you have to spend a good bit on a new one to get recaros,carbon fiber shit inside. i wouldnt have that carbon fiber though. it looks super cheesy to me lol. the st3 trim is like high 20's on the sticker. plus, resale is pretty terrible for those if you buy them new. ive seen used st3 for under 20k already with low miles lol. the MFT isnt a bad system when it works. but the module that runs it is soooooo finicky and if it goes out and the screen is black its like 1k to replace it when its out of warranty.

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                          Could you explain this a bit? I'm just curious, since to me the Fiesta looks so much cooler than the Focus. Coming from Hondas, I would think anyone here is open minded enough to know that no engine is not worth building up.

FBO is like 205whp. that 1.6 is nothing to write home about. its a nimble little car, but it has NO ass and cant do much with it. if someone swapped the 1.6 for a 2.0, thats a different story. talk about a rocket.

i still stand on the accord v6. i love mine.

also, the new si is a serious competitor. fbo/turbo upgrade is 400whp no problem. new si with a tune would be even/pull on my 6/6 accord. they are kinda slow stock, but if i bought one, id have ktuner on side by and flash it in the parking lot before i took it home lolol.

edit: also, most st owners that come in for service, are worse than mustang owners. nit pick everything on a car thats supposed to be cheap. -_-
                          Last edited by '93CB7Ex; 06-16-2018, 01:00 PM.
                          COUPE K24

Comment

FBO power is your problem with the Fiesta?! Look at your signature photos!

And what does "no ass" mean, lol. Torque? That's what mods are for. Give me lb-ft in the high 200s in something that small and I'd be in heaven. Or do you mean physically, as in bumper overhang? 'Cause I love that, too. I've always liked that about the Mini as well. Adds to the nimble rally car-like look, imo.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Ultimately, it all comes down to what you can find in your price range, and what makes you happiest behind the wheel. Slow, potentially unreliable, etc... doesn’t matter in the end. It’s all about what’s most fun for you to own. My CB7 was no faster than a Fiesta ST. Possibly slower. My Miata is probably slower than a CB7 with bolt-ons. Those two cars are hands down the most fun cars I’ve driven.
                              My Cadillac, despite having 400+hp, is at least third. Maybe fourth (behind my Fit).

Just ask yourself what you truly want. Ask what price you’re willing to pay for it (initially, and in upkeep and repairs.) Then find the car that beat fits your requirements. Honestly, as long as you’re careful not to get one that was seriously abused, you really can’t go terribly wrong with any of the cars being discussed. Take them all out for a spin.

Comment

Working...
                              X