This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Granite CB7
    Thank you! I wasn't sure how much the refrid. weighed b/c when I got the car there wasn't any refrid. in the system to begin w/. The condensor fan is heavier than the rad. fan b/c it has a metal frame.

Would anybody else know why my A/C parts ended up weighing only 50lbs and not around 70-75 or so? The only thing I left was the cond. fan! My post is afew posts above^ Thanks again
    You got all the lines and stuff out of there? I've been wonderng how it all weighs that much myself... there have to be some parts I'm not thinking about!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
      You got all the lines and stuff out of there? I've been wonderng how it all weighs that much myself... there have to be some parts I'm not thinking about!
      Thanks for the interest. Yes, I have taken everything out, I wanted to do it right. I removed: ALL brackets and lines, compressor, condensor, evaporator (left plastic shell in place b/c it carries heat from blower motor), and the drier/receiver tank. The only thing I left was the condensor fan b/c it still works w/ my rad. fan so I fig'd, why not?

All that totalled to only 50 lbs! Where's the other 30 or so? Call the cond. fan 15 lbs (prob. 10) where could the extra 15 lbs be?!

Comment

Originally posted by ACCLUDE91
        I'm not quite as extreme as Kentucky (yet), but mime is also fully stripped. With me in it (140lbs), it weighed in at 2058 last time I went to Southern States.

do you still have factory glass, a/c, seats, etc.? 2058 is within a few lbs of mine w/out driver. the scale you were using could be a little off i suppose, ive always used the scale(s) at the dragstrip.
        '91ex coupe, modified.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0JsF__KzA

@ConaireSmith on twitter

Comment

i read through this whole thing.....and unfortunetaly, as a daily driver.....i find everything in my car far too convenient to bother removing it. it's not 1970, i think i'll keep my power steering, thanks, i'm not looking for popeye forearms. and i NEED ac....most of the time, yes, i drive with all the windows open in the summer, but if it gets humid or rainy, i don't wanna have to deal with foggy windshield all the time or leave my windows open a crack, just so i can see. i use my ac in the winter in conjuction with the heater and in the rain. i'm also not a loner, so i'll keep my passenger and rear seats in. only thing i would do would be a carbon hood, cause that just looks cool anyway, and take out the spare tire...i don't havea jack anyway, so there's no use in having a spare that i wouldn't be able to put on anyway..

Comment

Just a thought on this

I just bought a '91 DX a few months ago, and after testing a few EX's and LX's out there, I noticed the DX is a hell of a lot lighter and nimble than the EX. I'm not sure if it's just the luck of the draw on the cars (since 14 years changes them a lot), or if the EX and LX are watered down as a more luxurious model, but without power windows and all that mess, and the steel wheels, it's a pretty frisky lean car :3

I'm going to consider removing the air conditioning, since that doesn't work anyway and I live in Denver. Maybe not though, kills the resale value.

Comment

Anything you remove you can always put back! Just don't forget where you put the parts!

My DX with the F22A definitely feels lighter than my LX with the heavier H22. The cheap tires on the DX roll too much for it to be fun though. Getting some stiffer tires (preferably on some lightweight 16" rims), stiffer suspension, and everything unnecessary removed would definitely make the car fun to whip around.

Comment

Oh definitely, I simply picked up some 15" alloys from a junkyard for the same model so I could get the 205/50/15 Kuhmo Ecsta ASX's or some crap like that

It still doesn't steer as quickly as I'd like, but they stick well, makes the car a blast for what it is. I wish I'd been able to get some Yoko es100's or something like that, but Denver in the winter :[

Comment

ok here is the weight saving on the UR pulleys....
                  stock crank pulley=5lb 10oz---->new=1lb 1.8oz
                  stock alt pulley=11.4oz stock--->new=.4oz
                  stock p/s pulley=1lb 3.2oz------>new=6.4oz
                  total weight of stock pulleys= 7lbs 8.6oz
                  total weight of new pulleys=1lb 12.2oz

total weight saving=5lbs 12.4oz

crank pulley about half the size of stock pulley = oooooo sooo sweet
                  My members ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by accrdpower
                    ok here is the weight saving on the UR pulleys....
                    stock crank pulley=5lb 10oz---->new=1lb 1.8oz
                    stock alt pulley=11.4oz stock--->new=.4oz
                    stock p/s pulley=1lb 3.2oz------>new=6.4oz
                    total weight of stock pulleys= 7lbs 8.6oz
                    total weight of new pulleys=1lb 12.2oz

total weight saving=5lbs 12.4oz

crank pulley about half the size of stock pulley = oooooo sooo sweet
                    good info...but how much money did you waste to shave 5 pound???

I completely took out my PS pump...but havent replaced my crank pulley ...
                    im thinking of taking out my AC entirely since i only use it once in a blue moon.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
                      It's rotating weight, and makes an amazing difference.
                      lol u really don't get racing pulleys for "weight reduction" in general but weight reduction off the crank. if the crank has less weight to turn(less rotating mass=more power to wheels. i spent under under 270 for 8-15hp and 6-10ftlbs, not including the "additive effect" u get from many mods working in unicen with each other, the 5lbs shed off is just a bonus. and i must say the pulleys has been the best performance mod i have done so far.

plus it has been said by many engineers that the lighter pulleys(mainly the crank) will decrease the wear on the engine....physics 101
                      My members ride thread

Comment

Hell, dropping 5lbs in a couple places is quite significant!

Pick 20 spots on the car where you can drop simple 5lb things. 5x20=100. 100lbs IS significant! Once you get to a certain stage of simple FREE removal, you need to start paying for lightweight replacement parts. Once the cheaper and/or more drastic parts are replaced (hood, trunk, etc) you'll be looking at minor (and possibly expensive) replacement parts. If you can shave 5lbs of dead weight AND a significant amount of rotating mass with a $300 set of pulleys, I say that's a steal! You'd knock more off yor time with a pulley set than you would with a carbon fiber hood...

Comment

does the power antenna really weigh 14 pounds?...thats a lot of weight..and one reason im gonna do the s2k antenna conversion...

also..i think i would rather have the the carbon fiber hood than ps/ pulley right now......cuz it serves 2 functions ...weight reduction....and good looks :P

im eventually gonna do my alternator and crank pulleys...but thats down the road..

Comment

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic
                            does the power antenna really weigh 14 pounds?...thats a lot of weight..and one reason im gonna do the s2k antenna conversion...

also..i think i would rather have the the carbon fiber hood than ps/ pulley right now......cuz it serves 2 functions ...weight reduction....and good looks :P

im eventually gonna do my alternator and crank pulleys...but thats down the road..
                            lol wtf weight reduction lol only the ps pulley?????? it's not even 1 lb loss. and to let u know the pulleys look mighty fine under my hood. plus why would u just do the ps pulley? u gets looks, weight reduction, and power from the pulleys cf hood =weight loss and looks but no power gains well good luck
                            My members ride thread

Comment

The close to 45 pounds you lose from the cf hood would probably make about the same difference in quarter mile times as the couple horsepower you gain from only the alternator and p/s pulleys. The crank pulley makes the biggest difference by far. I took out the power antenna stuff, and it weighs nowhere near 14 pounds .. maybe like 3-4 pounds at most.

Comment

First step in real weight reduction = lightweight wheels

Rota Slipstreams - 12.5 lbs a peice, $500 for a set of four (and they look neat :3)

Apparently 10 lbs of unsprung weight is equal to 100 lbs of unsprung weight, but this is just what a much more experienced friend told me.

Comment

Working...
                                X