Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stripped oil pan drain plug, any options besides...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped oil pan drain plug, any options besides...

a new pan or a timesert kit?

and i know i could weld the hole and drill a new one... but im looking for a simpler solution, at least for the short term.

i also read a comment that the aluminum pan from the prelude might be too thin to use a timesert kit. i dont know if there is any truth to that or not though.

Retap the the thread on oil pan, replace drain plug with a slightly over sized one.

Comment

Originally posted by 4U2H8ME View Post
      Retap the the thread on oil pan, replace drain plug with a slightly over sized one.
      is it just that simple with an aluminum pan? whats the point of a timesert kit if thats all you have to do?

Comment

They make oversized plugs that just screw in, I think. No drilling.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang View Post
          is it just that simple with an aluminum pan? whats the point of a timesert kit if thats all you have to do?
          Well it depends on how badly it is stripped. If you have almost no thread left on the pan then forget my suggestion. But if it still has a decent amount of thread, then my suggestion should get you by.
          Just sticking an over sized plug in without retapping is only going to make matters worse.

Comment

Searched around in my garage and found what I was wondering about.

A while ago my plug wasn't sealing properly so I got a new one from Advance Auto. Nothing special, just a ~$3 plug. I bought two different kinds just in case. I don't remember what I installed in my car, but I have the left over "Dorman 65217" "Single oversized plug". I installed something similar.

It actually says on the package "Do not use unless pan threads are stripped."

That was about 3 oil changes ago, no problems to report so far.

I'm sure the other solutions are more durable, but this works fine, especially for the short term. It probably will need to be replaced eventually, while something like a timesert kit will last as long as the car does.
            Last edited by aluminum13; 01-27-2011, 06:32 PM.

Comment

I have an oversized plug in my wagon (already in when I bought it). Based on the apearance of the plug, it is self tapping and cut new oversized threads when first installed. The factory aluminum washers don't fit, so I've been using telfon washers to seal it. When/if I have to do a pan gasket, I'll get a new pan with a good drain hole.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I've been doing oil changes for years, on all makes and models, and here is what I know. As far as putting an over sized plug in and hoping to remove and replace it every 3 months isnt going to happen. It's not going to seal properly and it's going to leak. I would just go to the junkyard and pull a pan and plug, shouldn't be too much. Only other option is to buy a system to vacuum out the oil w/out removing the drain plug.
                350z- Injen CAI & CB, Stillen testpipes & headers, kinetix SSV plenum, TEIN SS coilovers
                90 LX- a6 conversion, 2.5in exhaust

Comment

did you strip the plug head, or the actual hole?
                  Originally posted by scudweiser
                  it will go vrooooooom bauggggghhhh mmmmmmaauuugggg. Still no mmmmmbAAAAAAAUUUHHHHHHH though.
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  Do you have anything intelligent to offer, or are you just trying to whore up your post count?

Comment

Yo Doc.

The Prelude pans are actually steel, so you would have to use a tap kit made for steel to make a new thread. If it was aluminum (like the V6s) you'd be able to get away with using a timesert kit.

Just re-tap it and get a new drain plug...it's probably at least a $1.00 thru the dealer.
                    Henry R
                    Koni/Neuspeed
                    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

not the h22a4's. id suggest using synthetic and then jb weld the plug back on and worry about it next year.
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

My buddy had a stripped oil drain bolt hole on his CB7. He ended up throwing RTV near the head of the bolt and it never leaked. He did that for a few oil changes before he sold it.

Comment

idk if you're still in a tight spot check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaNls0uuOUs

Comment

if it is indeed an f22, go to advance auto and but a m14 single oversized oil pan boilt with a m14 copper crush washer, it will work. they are self tapping as stated above. you shal not have any problems.

Comment

the f22 pan isnt aluminum. if it were then it wouldnt require a gasket. the 6th gen accords (f23,same oil pan as f22's) do not require gaskets because their oil pans were made of the same material as the enigne block ( aluminum ).

also good luck finding a decend used one in a salvage yard. most yards punch holes in them cause they are too lazy to drain the pan properly. also if u do find one that doesnt have a hole in it then it will mostlikely have some kind of dent or ding on it. ive looked at at least 30 cb's in the salvage and if they werent hole punched then they were dented or dinged.
                              frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Working...
                              X