Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seatbelt tickets are for the intelligent rebel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stumbled across something pretty neat a while back that I couldn't find again the other day but was lucky enough to find it today. It's a list of each state's seat belt fine amount.

I bring this up because bassrock234 you mentioned $5 tickets.

edit... I forgot to mention it was updated this month. I'm pretty certain the first time I ever saw it which was a few months ago, my state laws on it were a bit different.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 05-22-2015, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bassrock234 View Post
      I never wear mine. Paid a couple $5 tickets, been in a couple accidents, haven't died yet.
      That's a good way to look at it....

I remember as a kid asking my dad why his face was all scared up.... He never actually told me the exact reason, just said he got in a few accidents. Now I know it was because he was to cool for his seat belt.

To each his own... hopefully you don't become another statistic!
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I wasn't aware that you didn't have to wear a seatbelt in the back seat in ga. Unless that chart is off. You use to not have to wear them if you were in a pickup truck, but they changed that law a few years ago. The fine may start at $15 now, I'm not sure, but it goes up everytime.

Honestly I've seen just as many cases of people surviving bad wrecks because they weren't wearing a seatbelt as there are with people wearing them.

On my 16th birthday I was riding passenger in a Mazda b2200 in downtown savannah (ralphie knows how downtown savannah is with the squares and traffic lights on poles) we were t-boned by a Lincoln towncar who didn't see the red light on the pole. My door was hit directly, my head hit the passenger glass and I lost consciousness. When I woke up, we had been hit so hard the towncar actually pushed us sideways across our lane, the oncoming lane, and onto the sidewalk on the other side of the road. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt, but if I had been, nothing would have changed. I still walked away mostly unharmed.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
          Surprise surprise! It's you again, back from the dead and making the same old statements about the same old shit. Honestly, I missed you Ralphie...

If you remember I quit bothering with addressing your "views" for lack of a better term that you post on here long ago. Because they're fucked. And I really don't have a whole lot of time today. I will say though, I like the comment about scraping me up dead.

In case you missed it which you obviously did... I don't have to wear the damn thing. Your slipping. You used to stomp me down with near absolute precision. What happened?

You know why I like you Ralphie? Cause you don't hesitate or beat around the bush with being an ass to me. You come right out of the gate with it. And I'm not being sarcastic either I'm being serious.
          Hello again-

You quit addressing my "views" because your "views" are so far gone that it is fucking scary. People jumped on the bandwagon, you got butt hurt and then started making comments around the forum to the beat of "woe is me"

I actually have a life so that is why I am absent, you know out there interacting with people including the government which you so harshly mistrust.

I have yet to be pulled out of my car, beaten, harassed, ticketed, or lectured.

You might say it's "white privilege" but when I was a kid I was harassed by police while skateboarding, so I would disagree with the that notion.

I chalk it up to "FOLLOWING THE LAW".

Do I break the law? Sure. Got pulled over the other day for speeding.

Now I am bias as I work in LE and that got me out of it, but I am confident that if I was not in LE, the way I handle traffic stops usually gets me out of the ticket as well. Simple respect and honesty.

Honestly I don't know what you're talking about. Stomp you down?

All I know is you have a small perception of how the world works and your misguided views are rightfully yours to have, but don't try to act like they should ALSO be mine and that if people don't agree with you, then we are taking away your rights at the same time.

Does govt try to protect people from themselves these days? Sure. Do they overreach? Yep.

But just look around you at all the fucking idiots who should not have a license and there is your reason for the protection.

Sure you don't have to wear it, but you don't stop to think that the police in your area would much prefer you just wear it so they don't have to

A) Write you a b/s ticket and waste time pulling you over

and

B) knock on your mothers door and deliver the worst news a parent could hear.

Does it make money? Yep.

But they did not mandate seat belt laws to make money, trust me.

Its all searchable on the net but I remember reading that the year after the seatbelts were introduced, vehicular fatalities nearly dropped off the planet.

You said yourself, they save lives.

So if you agree, then please explain to me why you think you should not wear one?

And let me also add one other thing-

I used to be you.

Yep, it's true.

I can tell you dates-

and if you search I probably made a thread about it-

Feb 2005- Sept 2007

I was on active duty stationed near Savannah, Ga.

I was pulled over multiple times for no seatbelt. Ticket was $15.

At one point, 2x in one week.

MY reason? Why the fuck do I have to wear one if it doesn't affect anyone else?

I actually told the cop that and he said id better watch my mouth.

Then one day driving on I-95 North going back to the military base a 18 wheeler cab drifted into the next lane which caused a 2nd gen CRV to swerve, overcorrect, and leave the asphalt and touch dirt.

If you don't know, doing highway speeds and rapidly leaving asphalt and hitting dirt usually sends the car into a spin.

Well she rolled at least 5 times, all on the right swail.

I immediately pulled over and told my gf to call 911.

Upon getting to the crv(which was right side up) the women in the drivers seat was alone, shocked, wearing a belt, and perfectly fine.

All the glass was busted out and EVERYTHING she owned was strewn all over I95.

When I saw an empty car seat in the back I almost had a fucking stroke.

It took me 30 secs to get her attention since she was confused and to explain to me that there was no child in the back.

After that I decided to wear my belt everytime I get in the car.

Even quick 10 min drives since statistically most accidents happen within a 1/2 mile from your house.

Point is, your notion that you have the right now to wear one and that it doesn't affect anyone is partially true.

You do have the right to not wear one, but again when someone has to scrape you up, hearmeyou that will affect your parents/siblings/friends more then you could ever imagine.

So keep on rocking on tough guy.

Comment

And before anyone jumps on it-

Yes I work in LE and yes I was speeding. I am human and I tend to do 10 over the speed limit as police 'usually' allow you that, but once in a while I drive spiritedly like everyone else since I enjoy driving.

The day I got pulled over was 76 and balmy....I had the windows down and music on and was cruising and I was probably doing just under 50 in a 35.

So this is just to show that I don't think or believe that I am better then anyone else. I am no different then anyone else except that I am older now and hate seeing younger people make the same mistakes I did.

I guess it is just how it goes though. Can't protect everyone from everything but what kind of society are we if we don't try?

Comment

I skimmed much of this thread, and barely looked at the bickering between people that I like and respect... and I'd rather keep it that way.

Anyway, seatbelts:

1) Seatbelt tickets are often given for one of two reasons: a) the cop giving the ticket is bored, or it's close to the end of the month and he's behind on his quota, or b) you did something else, such as speeding, rolling stop, running a light, etc... and the cop chooses to give you something minor instead (even if you're wearing a seatbelt.) In most cases, a cop is not going to chase you down because you're not wearing a seatbelt, and a number of those that do are likely to simply let you go with a warning. Tickets are paperwork, and cops would prefer to do as little of that as possible.

2) Seatbelts DO save lives. Whiplash, maybe. But whiplash is a hell of a lot better than a head through a windshield, or busted on a steering wheel. Additionally, airbags are designed to work WITH seatbelts. A steering wheel airbag can break your neck if it goes off while you are rising up and over the steering wheel. It could hit you in the chest, breaking your neck against the ceiling of the car. Yes, I know... "airbags are stupid too!"... but they are mandatory equipment in ALL cars sold in the US today, and probably most other civilized countries as well. Disabling an airbag makes the car illegal, if you live in an area where inspections are mandatory (and, honestly, they should be everywhere... and they will be if things become enough of an issue.) All of the car's safety features are intended to work in conjunction with each other as well, so disabling an airbag AND not wearing a seatbelt goes against all engineering designs... and increases your risk of serious injury or death.

3) Continuing on with the idea that seatbelts save lives... an accident involving minor injuries is cleared away in a relatively brief period of time. An accident involving major injuries or a fatality takes MUCH longer to clear, as the injured parties must be cared for properly, and proper investigation of the scene must be conducted. So the mindset of "It's my life. I should be able to risk it if I want!" is rather short-sighted, and highly irresponsible. If you die in a car crash on a busy road, your fault or not, you are going to be inconveniencing hundreds of other drivers for a much longer period of time than if you were to simply wreck your car and walk away. If you die in a car crash, your fault or not, anyone else involved in that crash that survives might be haunted by the fact that they had a part in your death. Even if it was 100% your fault, someone that hit you and survived would most likely have a difficult time letting go of the fact that the person they hit did not survive.

So yes, the seatbelt laws are about more than just you, the driver.

Comment

Honestly I've seen just as many cases of people surviving bad wrecks because they weren't wearing a seatbelt as there are with people wearing them.
                In my 40 years on this planet I am glad to say that I am not able to give any personal experience in regards to fatal vs non fatal accidents involving seat belts.

On my 16th birthday I was riding passenger in a Mazda b2200 in downtown savannah (ralphie knows how downtown savannah is with the squares and traffic lights on poles) we were t-boned by a Lincoln towncar who didn't see the red light on the pole. My door was hit directly, my head hit the passenger glass and I lost consciousness. When I woke up, we had been hit so hard the towncar actually pushed us sideways across our lane, the oncoming lane, and onto the sidewalk on the other side of the road. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt, but if I had been, nothing would have changed. I still walked away mostly unharmed.
                That sounds like a terrible accident. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. However, IMO Luck does not trump safety!
                MR Thread
                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                  Hello again-

You quit addressing my "views" because your "views" are so far gone that it is fucking scary. People jumped on the bandwagon, you got butt hurt and then started making comments around the forum to the beat of "woe is me"

I actually have a life so that is why I am absent, you know out there interacting with people including the government which you so harshly mistrust.

I have yet to be pulled out of my car, beaten, harassed, ticketed, or lectured.

You might say it's "white privilege" but when I was a kid I was harassed by police while skateboarding, so I would disagree with the that notion.

I chalk it up to "FOLLOWING THE LAW".

Do I break the law? Sure. Got pulled over the other day for speeding.

Now I am bias as I work in LE and that got me out of it, but I am confident that if I was not in LE, the way I handle traffic stops usually gets me out of the ticket as well. Simple respect and honesty.

Honestly I don't know what you're talking about. Stomp you down?

All I know is you have a small perception of how the world works and your misguided views are rightfully yours to have, but don't try to act like they should ALSO be mine and that if people don't agree with you, then we are taking away your rights at the same time.

Does govt try to protect people from themselves these days? Sure. Do they overreach? Yep.

But just look around you at all the fucking idiots who should not have a license and there is your reason for the protection.

Sure you don't have to wear it, but you don't stop to think that the police in your area would much prefer you just wear it so they don't have to

A) Write you a b/s ticket and waste time pulling you over

and

B) knock on your mothers door and deliver the worst news a parent could hear.

Does it make money? Yep.

But they did not mandate seat belt laws to make money, trust me.

Its all searchable on the net but I remember reading that the year after the seatbelts were introduced, vehicular fatalities nearly dropped off the planet.

You said yourself, they save lives.

So if you agree, then please explain to me why you think you should not wear one?

And let me also add one other thing-

I used to be you.

Yep, it's true.

I can tell you dates-

and if you search I probably made a thread about it-

Feb 2005- Sept 2007

I was on active duty stationed near Savannah, Ga.

I was pulled over multiple times for no seatbelt. Ticket was $15.

At one point, 2x in one week.

MY reason? Why the fuck do I have to wear one if it doesn't affect anyone else?

I actually told the cop that and he said id better watch my mouth.

Then one day driving on I-95 North going back to the military base a 18 wheeler cab drifted into the next lane which caused a 2nd gen CRV to swerve, overcorrect, and leave the asphalt and touch dirt.

If you don't know, doing highway speeds and rapidly leaving asphalt and hitting dirt usually sends the car into a spin.

Well she rolled at least 5 times, all on the right swail.

I immediately pulled over and told my gf to call 911.

Upon getting to the crv(which was right side up) the women in the drivers seat was alone, shocked, wearing a belt, and perfectly fine.

All the glass was busted out and EVERYTHING she owned was strewn all over I95.

When I saw an empty car seat in the back I almost had a fucking stroke.

It took me 30 secs to get her attention since she was confused and to explain to me that there was no child in the back.

After that I decided to wear my belt everytime I get in the car.

Even quick 10 min drives since statistically most accidents happen within a 1/2 mile from your house.

Point is, your notion that you have the right now to wear one and that it doesn't affect anyone is partially true.

You do have the right to not wear one, but again when someone has to scrape you up, hearmeyou that will affect your parents/siblings/friends more then you could ever imagine.

So keep on rocking on tough guy.
                  Wow Ralphie! See, you were just a bit rusty. I guess it has been a while. All you needed was to warm up a bit first.

I'm reading through your response and it seems to be... kinda all over the place at my first glance. Maybe if I set down and go over it later it will appear different to me.

And I don't think anyone here will judge you about the speeding deal. I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

All of this reminded me. I drive a forklift at work and put that seatbelt on to move a foot.
                    So we have some good stuff here. Some not exactly on topic but I just want to reiterate my point.
                    I like every other human adapt to rules that I dont agree with even this one. This is just another such and such right shouldent be taken because of such and such reason.
                    The whole vehicle safety regulation and seatbelt laws though seems to find a way to burn me often, and for a long time now. Thats all I am saying and this is why. Buckle up
                    There is no place in my car including the trunk thats less safe than a motorcycle. Why not charge a motorcycle rider 40 dollars everytime they ride? I have to divert more than the normal amount of attention to a human on a motorcycle than a car, I give alot more distance, am cautious when passing ect. I prefer a guy on a crotch rocket to fly by at 95mph im like good get out of my life mr. vehicular manslaughter waiting to happen.
                    Even worse is cyclist on the road, being near a guy on a bicycle is like texting and driving. They have 80% of my attention while I wait to pass for minutes while traffic is building up behind me. Then watch ten cars in my rearview fly by him with no caution. I get stopped at a light 1/4 mile down the road, he passes me then we do the whole dance again. The whole time if santas sleigh was broke down in the suicide lane I would probably hit it.

Now safety regulations all together are a joke and this is the first time automobile regulations burned me. The porche 959 could not be sold in the us because they would not give 4 up for federal crash testing. Porche was spending $800,000 per car to sell it for $400,000 so Americans lose again. I could tell you from a picture its safer than a ford escort and other long winded list of cars on the road in the eighties including motorcycles. Imagine if porche had put a takata airbag in it, the whole brand would be a terrorist cell. There is a long list of cars we will never see due to safety. Lots of affordable everymans cars too.

Its all about easy money and always is. I just wanted to remind myself my eyes are not as blind as they appear.
                    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Well, think about it... Federal safety standards exist to be just that... standards. They standardize safety equipment among cars. You're absolutely right that it's about money, but it makes sense. Insurance companies base their rates on these standards. They need appropriate data to determine how much to insure a car for. It's a numbers game, absolutely. But it makes sense.

"It's all about money" is always said in such a derogatory manner... but to be quite honest, everything was, is, and always will be about money. The things you do every day for work are about money. The school that you attend to make yourself valuable on the job market is about money. The bum on the street that wants your help really just wants your money. It's all about money.
                      The only time it's not about money is when you're stranded on an island with nothing but your failing wits and a volleyball.

Comment

OP thinks hes smarter than physics and human physiology. No matter. His day will come

Originally posted by lordoja
                        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

just wait till everyone is told they have to wear a helmet at all times, or pay a "clean breath" sorta tax, where you pay for them to fix a problem theyve created lol...remember bitches driving is a PRIVILEGE not a fucking right so get your mind right, the law is the law..its just common operational protocol, jet pilots buckle in why not yourself.

Comment

I don't know how we quote multiple post.
                            Deeve, funny I thought the same thing about without money yesterday and how bad I would like to get back to this civilization. Would I be able to make a fire, how about 50,000 years ago if I had never seen fire how would I think of it.

Eric, there will be no saving us once we pay to imagine.

Glory im not crazy, but do understand the laws of physics we are familiar with are relative to our relation to earth specificaly. While anyone can define the effect of gravity, no human can define the cause. It is possible that the person who defines the cause of gravity will have also discovered how to defy the "laws" of physics.
                            I guess as far as my day coming goes I have been a little concerened I would be part of a tragic event on the road since I started this thread. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
                            ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

End of the day seatbelts save lives. They increase your chances of surviving a crash tremendously. Materially you gain nothing by not putting one on. You are valuing your pride more than your life, which is not rebellious or intelligent... it's stupid.

Not to mention, CBs are very old and dont fare well at all in crashes compared to modern rides. It just doesn't make any sense. There is zero value in this kind of self-serving contrarianism. You should listen to that feeling of concern.... its your survival instinct and brain trying to help you make smart life saving decisions.

Originally posted by lordoja
                              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Not sure what your insurance companies are like down there. Up here, if you are in an accident and the investigating officer reports you were not wearing a seat belt. Most timers your coverage will be denied for personal injury. No matter if you are at fault or not.

Originally posted by Co-Operators Insurance
                                If you were not wearing a seat belt in a car accident, insurance coverage may be limited or denied, and your premiums could increase after the claim.

Not wearing a seat belt creates increased risk of injury, increased risk of expensive medical bills, and increased risk of legal liability. It is a bad practice to engage in, and to pass along to any child. Whatever temporary discomfort a safety belt provides is not worth the risks or the costs.

If you have been involved in an accident, and your injuries were more severe because you were not wearing a safety belt, be sure to contact an experienced car accident attorney.
                                Is it really worth the extra cost!
                                MR Thread
                                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X