Webuilding the Wagon: Main Front Cross Member (and more) Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webuilding the Wagon: Main Front Cross Member (and more) Replacement

The "Webuilding" is deliberate (think Bugs Bunny), had to keep the alliteration consistent with "Rescuing Ruby" and "Saving Silver". Some of you may have seen the thread in the "South" regional section; my daughter returned to Galveston, TX after Christmas break and hit a curb pretty hard with the right front wheel. After sending a front cross member, radius arm, lower control arm, and complete knuckle to TX and Jarrett stepping up to the plate to replace them, it was obvious there was still more damage (the right front wheel was still canted inward at the bottom and considerably toe-in). The car arrived home yesterday. This thread will follow the saga of trying to save this one as well.

I think the steering wheel is straight ahead in the first picture below. Wheel is obviously shifted back.

Based on some rough measurements, the mounting point for the right lower control arm is pushed in maybe 1/2 inch, metal is torn and one of the welds is pulled apart. It is a lot easier to see and assess when it is 18 inches in the air on jack stands.

Looking at the mounting points for the main cross member to which the lower control arms and steering rack mount, it is shifted left 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch. I loosened the four mounting bolts (all turned without wobbling indicating they are not bent), but couldn't get the cross member to move to the right. I pulled a new cross member from a car at U Pull a Part in Montgomery, AL a couple weeks ago returning from taking two of my children to school in Pensacola.

The steering rack is toast, effort is very light, it clunks when turning the wheel, there is a fluid leak somewhere, and the boots are split open. I have another rack and all the seals to rebuild it; this will force me to do so. It also appears that the right front shock blew; there is fluid all over it that doesn't appear to be brake fluid (brakes are still pretty firm); it may even be bent some because it doesn't appear to extend as far as the left shock with the car in the air. It was probably due for shocks anyway, I think they are still the originals at 225,000 miles. It will need a tire and wheel as well. Looks like an opportunity for some DIYs.

I'll use a tow dolly to get it to Precision Frame and Body here in town to put it on the frame rack; all other repairs will hinge on what they find and what they can do with it.
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 08-01-2017, 09:38 PM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

If you need a hand and we can get our schedules to coincide I will gladly give you a extra set of hands.
    CB7TUNER.com
    Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. First trick is making enough time to get it on the rack. If they can get it on and pulled (if possible) all in one day, then I can get away with a single day's rental of a tow dolly. Every time I do something like this, I come close to buying a dolly. That might be dangerous though, it would be easier to bring home more projects!

This incident has gotten us to the point of her getting her own vehicle, so I can take my time putting this one back together.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

i wonder how she is gonna feel about not driving a cb after the newness of a different car wears off.
        I am not going to encourage or discourage you from purchasing a tow dolly.

get the tow dolly hahah
        CB7TUNER.com
        Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Wow Fleetwood. Ruby's repair was extensive. I remember you had a bad accident in the green one(forget the name). This will be the third time I get to follow your work. I really have gained a lot of insight from your threads.

It shows how much dedication you have for saving the CB. I share this dedication but unfortunately you are in Ohio and I am in PA(philly) or I would help you repair her.

Good luck with the repairs and I will stay tuned. Hopefully you get good news from the frame shop(I guess as good of news you can hope for).

Side note: I missed saving silver. I will have to check out that thread?!!!?!?

Comment

The big accident was in Emerald (Emmy, 93 EX coupe http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189911) in 2012. That one was too far gone to repair and gave her life that others may live.

Made arrangements for next Wednesday at the frame shop; they believe if I have it there first thing in the morning, they could be finished with it by the end of the day so I can limit the rental of a tow dolly to one day to get it there and back.

Made an offer on a 2009 Mercury Mariner with 2.5 L, auto, FWD, 102k as a replacement (her $). She'll have to get used to riding higher and hopefully taking turns slower; all she's driven for 8 years (other than a rare rental) has been a CB7/9.
            Last edited by Fleetw00d; 02-10-2016, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Are you going to have to get a salvage title? Any more pics? Seems like another good watch! Sorry it happened in the first place though.

Comment

I don't think I'll have to get a salvage title; I don't think the incident was reported as an accident and I only have liability insurance so the insurance company is not involved. Added pictures of the wheel/tire from two viewpoints; other photos weren't real helpful in determining the extent of the damage.
                Last edited by Fleetw00d; 02-11-2016, 12:30 AM.

Comment

When I hit slid down a hill and hit the curb going 30. This was in 2010. My car needed an entire new lower control arm.
                  Somehow I think it needs much more but the shop never replaced anything else.

Your picture of the front right tire is exactly how mine looked after the curb damage.

This can be fixed and repaired. Only issue with mine is that the toe is off and I do not know where to begin fixing that. I just buy junkyard tires and go that route because it is cheaper than buying new ones.

Good luck, hopefully you only have to rent the dolly for one day!

Comment

The cross member across the front (where the radius rods mount) was distorted some, including some distortion in the mounting bolt holes in the frame box on the right side. One of the mounting bolts was slightly bent as well. As noted, a new front cross member (along with other parts) was installed which pulled the wheel further forward, but the damage to the main cross member still pulls the bottom of the wheel in too far.

If it really is only the toe that is off on yours, that is what the outer tie rod adjustment is for; unless one or the other is at the extreme of its available travel, then you do likely have more damage.

Off Topic: Deal on the Mariner fell through; found things obviously wrong that their internal inspection didn't catch; sales guy went "salesman" on me trying to assure me that the blower motor worked on all speeds when it did NOT; wouldn't budge on price even with the additional problems. Did some more research, now eyeing an Element.

Feb. 16, 2016: Good news from the frame shop, they say the body structure is still straight, so just a lot of wrenching to fix her up. First thing is to rebuild the steering rack. Note to self: Put the fender down on the car hauler trailer (no dollies available) before pulling the car up onto it - don't shut the car off if the battery is dead. Spent 25 minutes trapped in the car because the trailer fenders blocked the doors and I couldn't wind the window down and the touch screen on my phone doesn't work well in the cold so it took 20 minutes just to be able to complete a phone call to the house to get someone to open the rear hatch to let me out. I should know, but is there a way to open the rear hatch from inside?

Off Topic: Purchased a 2008 Honda Element LX, 135k miles on behalf of my daughter (her money) yesterday.
                    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 02-18-2016, 12:43 AM.

Comment

You got trapped in the wagon?! Wow that is a scary thought. I do not know if there is a safety mechanism to unlock the tailgate.

Any pictures of the Element? I do not know anything about them. Mercury mariner is like the ford escape. My mother had major issues with her 03 escape. She ended up trading it in for a 2012 Honda Pilot(which she loves). The whole rear quarter panels and trunk rusted out so it would not pass inspection. This was two years after a shop made her replace 2k of suspension components for rust...

That is amazing that the frame is not damaged beyond repair.

I had something totally strange happen with my steering rack the other day. It almost seems like it locked up when I pulled out of my driveway. I changed from reverse to park and the wheel wouldn't turn. I thought at first I was not in drive but it was. Has not happened again since so I am not sure what the deal is but I will check it out this weekend when I replace my radiator and hoses.

Comment

Originally posted by dhill_cb7 View Post
                        You got trapped in the wagon?! Wow that is a scary thought. I do not know if there is a safety mechanism to unlock the tailgate.

Any pictures of the Element?

That is amazing that the frame is not damaged beyond repair.
                        Technically, I could have broken a window or forced a door open, but then the story wouldn't be funny.

No Element pictures yet (probably off the dealer site already). It is silver with the black fenders, gray interior. Tentatively named Thor (Thorium - pick an element). Edit: Element thread here: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=207959

I suppose the true test for the wagon will be whether it can be properly aligned when the remaining bent pieces are replaced. It is supposed to be a warm weekend here, so maybe I'll make some progress.
                        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 03-27-2016, 11:42 PM.

Comment

That is a funny story about being trapped. Seems that she hit the curb with so much force it destroyed everything on that side of the car, which is pretty hard to think of.

Comment

I've never owned a CB wagon, but there's really no pull-lever to open it? I always assumed the Trunk pull would pop the hatch, is that not the case? Sounds like it should be...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                            Current cars:
                            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

there is just a lock/unlock knob. no opening handle. not even on 5th gens.

welcome to the element crew.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                              01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                              93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                              93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Working...
                              X