Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INT: DIY seized latch fix (door stuck shut)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: DIY seized latch fix (door stuck shut)

materials:
    drill with assorted sized bits
    dremel with cutting discs
    basic hand tools

this has happened to me twice, once about 8 years ago and just recently. i found a website that helps a bit:
    http://techauto.te.funpic.org/doorproblem/

SYMPTOM: the drivers door will not open from either the inside or outside door handle. all the linkages are still in place yet, the door latch will not release.
    CAUSE
    the door latch assembly fails internally. the
    latch is not serviceable.

if you can't open your door from the inside, but are able to from the outside, this is NOT your problem. or if you can open it in any way.

first take off your interior door handle and look for the linkage rod to be connected to it. if it's still there it's time to remove the door panel ( it sounds hard to take the door panel off while the door is stuck shut, but it's really not hard)

to remove the door panel, unscrew the screws, here:

here

and here

there's one push clip that you can't get, but that's ok it will pop out. start from the bottom of the door panel and pull out the plastic rivets. then swing the door panel up like a lamdo door and the last clip that you couldn't reach will pop out.

now look for all linkage rods to be connected, if they are, then you have a broken latch. (fun part)

after you've confirmed there's nothing wrong with the linkages, ect., time to start drilling.
    this will be your tiny work space and veiw

i found this to be the sweet spot:

i just put a flathead screwdriver in the hole and began poking and prodding. the moment of glory came when i felt the door move about a half a centimeter. i knew i was close. a little more poking and the door poped open.

old latch/new latch

note: when taking out the old latch, i cut the linkage rod to the exterior door handle. if you don't do this, it will be a PITA to remove.

reinstall
    to install the new one, you have to take off the exterior door handle to install the new linkage rod. use 2 flathead screwdriver's to pop out the fitting.

also, you want to remove the bolt below so you can move the window channel out of the way. it makes it easier to put in the new latch.

once you get the latch in there, you have to do a little adjusting, but no biggie.
    this took me six hours over the course of a few days.

later.
    Last edited by TypeG; 08-11-2008, 09:31 PM.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

here's some more pics of the latch to help you understand it's internals.

this is the black lever that you ae drilling to. this is what you want to move when you stick the flathead in the drilled hole.

later.
    Last edited by TypeG; 12-31-2009, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Very nice fix.

This happened to me right when my car went into the shop for the rust repair. Ironically, I had the door panel off the day it broke. I kept telling my bodyguy to drill out the assembly. But no, the dumbass went at it with a f-ing airchisel. It fixed the door, but he made a big song and dance about it.

I'll have to retain this DIY in case it happens again.

Comment

i never really realized that people had problems with that.

cool fix tho. if its broke, drill a bunch of holes through it until it gives up and lets go.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

^ agree with mike on this one. maybe it's only common with car at extreme temps? nice job nonetheless bro. is that dirt i see?! LOL just playing man.
          1cor10:31
          - 92 LX coupe
          - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

i don't think temps have anything to do with it. the latch fails internally and i've only heard of the driver's door doing this. and yeah, that is dirt you see...all of that metal grinding made a mess, lol. later.

Comment

I wish you had written this last year. Mine failed on me and the guy fixed it but couldn't get the door panel off so the panel was kinda bent in order to get to the failed part. Not a big deal since you can get panels in junkyards but just the fact that it happened can catch people off gaurd. I had to get in my car from the passenger side for 2 weeks before I got paid so I could get it fixed.

Good write up.
              "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...10#post2119010

Comment

Were you able to use the existing sealant when putting the vapor barrier (door lining cover) back?
                '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
                EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

thanks adam. yeah, it does catch people off gaurd cause it doesn't seem like anything is wrong til you can't open the door. no noises, no anything, just won't open. and crawling out the passenger door sucks big time.

mrvinyl, i lost that plastic sheet along time ago, so don't have one, lol. i don't think it is sticky enough to re-use. the only thing that would stick to it is my hair when i had my head leaning on the door for a while. later.

Comment

ok. were you planning on replacing it, or have you not had any moisture/corrosion/aging in there?
                    '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
                    EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

i may replace it one day, but i haven't had any problems with moisture/corrosion. the only thing i have noticed is cold air seeping in when it's really cold outside. later.

Comment

I like the way you work. Lol good job.

^^ Clicky for Members Ride! ^^

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                          thanks adam. yeah, it does catch people off gaurd cause it doesn't seem like anything is wrong til you can't open the door. no noises, no anything, just won't open. and crawling out the passenger door sucks big time.
                          You are so right Brian. There is no noise or anything letting you know that it has happened. You go to open the door and it doesn't open...that is the only notice you get.
                          "This is a jaded bunch. To gain notice, you have to challenge conventional wisdom, test assumptions, and ignore the naysayers."

FS Part out thread koni/skunk2 suspension, jdm pole, HID retrofit, Tanabe exhaust
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...10#post2119010

Comment

Add another one to the dukes of hazzard passenger side loving list. Mine gave on me....at the JUNK YARD!!!! Son of a bitch. I was there and had no idea what it was. My theory....go to yard...buy new door for 30 bucks. Beat the shit out of old door!!!
                            No longer working on the cb. To much time and money has been put into it. Check my for sale thread where the whole car will be parted out.

Comment

no need to beat the door, just drill out the latch. later.

Comment

Working...
                              X