The Great Debit Card Mystery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Great Debit Card Mystery...

Just got off the phone with my Debit Card company. We had to shutdown the card due to fraudulent charges (jackpot rewards and onlineGrants something or other).

The mystery is that I've never used the card online, the card has never left my wallet, and my wallet has never been more than 3 feet away from me at any time (I only remove it when I change pants).

This is going to drive me bonkers, I want to know how someone got their grubby little hands on it...
    Originally posted by sweet91accord
    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

maybe it wasnt?

maybe they called you asking for you to verify your cards number and such, and you willingly giving it to them thinking you've been frauded...just ended up giving them all your bank card info?

id say call your bank directly and ask to speak to someone, i remember a visa card scam that went around not to long ago working that way..
    ..[CB7][STAR]..
    MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by stewie View Post
      maybe it wasnt?

maybe they called you asking for you to verify your cards number and such, and you willingly giving it to them thinking you've been frauded...just ended up giving them all your bank card info?

id say call your bank directly and ask to speak to someone, i remember a visa card scam that went around not to long ago working that way..
      that would be my first thought.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Hackers bro. They can get into anyones info,or if you ever called the bank about your info, not everyone that works at the bank is honest.

Just a thought to keep in mind.
        NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
        DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

do you use it to pay at restaurants? do waiters and waitresses take your card out of sight? it only takes a second to copy a number, and that little security number on the back. they have your name too. easy enough to use it online. you dont need the card for that. just that info that is so easily accessible to them when you cant see them.

Comment

I didn't give out my card number, they just asked for name and asked if I made the charges. I've not used the card at resteraunts other than at one Arby's, where the card was in my site the whole time. I had noticed the odd withdrawal on my checking account earlier this morning, but nothing showed up in the actual transaction list, just my balance was off.

Probably got pulled from online database or something.

Oh well, the card is closed and I'm only out $12, luckily.
            if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

lucky. thats weird that they were able to get your number. if you havent used it anywhere where the number could be gotten then theres some source that was able to be accessed. thats a bit scary. if you never gave your number out then someone you bought from, or the bank itself, had their security compromised.

Comment

I just got a text message today supposedly from Associated Bank Corp. stating that my account was closed due to fraudulent activity. It continued to say that I needed to call an 888 number.

I called the local branch down the road to check this out and the guy told me he had been answering calls about this all day long. He thanked me for not calling the 888 number and told me it was definately a fraud. He said that somebody had hacked a cell phone number database and had sent this text to people that were and were not customers of Associated Bank. You may have been a victim of this scam or a similar one.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

Hmm, I don't think I got scammed. I haven't gotten any weird texts are called any 888 numbers, and I didn't give out my card information either.

Comment

by the way, it's always best that if someone calls you about your card, ask for a case number or reference number etc, and hang up. Call the 800 number on the back of your card and discuss the issue with a representative. I got a call from Visa once saying that my card had fraudulent charges. I told the person I didn't believe them, hung up, called the 800 number, and found out it was true. My account was closed, a new card was issued, and luckily none of the fraudulent charges went through. Identity theft is the number one crime now I think.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

That's the nice thing about prepaid credit cards. I've got one for online transactions, keep only what I'm going to spend on it, once the money is spent, I don't put anything more on it until I need it

Comment

do you have a wife or girlfriend?

they might of wanted something you wouldn't buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                          Hmm, I don't think I got scammed. I haven't gotten any weird texts are called any 888 numbers, and I didn't give out my card information either.
                          You said they asked you for your name. Shouldn't they know your name? Can't do much with a name but it is one piece of an identity they might have been looking for..

My swap thread
                          Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                            It happened to me too.. Used the card once 6 months before at my work.. Never any calls about the card and never had any info on my card on my computer or online. No one had access to the card... I just assume it was an inside job at the credit card company.

Comment

your bank cant tell you anything just what the transactions were and for how much. not how or who got a hold of your number. seems to me like an internet thing. have you bought anything online resently? and were because very possible any non secure payments made(anything not paypal or verified by visa ect.) could of just stolen the info, or comp. hacker. if you have any question i could prob. help since i work in the banking industry.also the bank will give you the credit back for the fraud and do their best to track down what had happend.
                              Last edited by baracuda; 01-10-2009, 05:10 PM.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

Working...
                              X