Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any pc geniuses? pc stuttering problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any pc geniuses? pc stuttering problems.

i have 2 hard drives, the second one (80gb maxtor) holds my music, pictures, and some pr0n. now when i mutitask, the music stutters and shit.

for example, i was playing nfsu2 (running off my primary drive) and playing music, it was stuttering. the game ran fine, the music sounded like ass.

but i could just be saving a big file or adding a new mp3 to the second hd, and the music just starts stuttering, i find this to be so fucking annoying.

someone please help!

btw, my pc is a dell optiplex gx270. 2.52 p4, 512 ram, 40gb seagate primary, 80gb maxtor slave, cdr/dvd combo, on winxp pro.
    '93 Bordeaux Red Pearl LX 5MT

Prev CBs:
    -'93 BRP LX 4AT
    -'92 AGP LX 5MT
    -'93 AGP EX 4AT
    10yrs after my first cb, I'm still driving one!

It sounds like your CPU is trying to do too many things at once. Check your toolbar and make sure you don't have any unecesssary applications running. Also you might run a few adware programs to make sure you don't have any of that junk running where you can't see it, because those programs can be resource hogs.
    Honda-Tech Username: Lostcb7
    The cb7tuner.com OG.

Comment

i stay on top of both of those things you mentioned.

thanks though, i think it's something else.

i use norton firewall/antivirus/systemworks.

and spybot + adaware.

Prev CBs:
      -'93 BRP LX 4AT
      -'92 AGP LX 5MT
      -'93 AGP EX 4AT

Comment

i know what the problem is, you're running a dell..

lol just kidding, but i just want to know if it happens when you play other games, or just run other programs in general while you play music, and what program you use to play the music.. (winamp, windows media player, etc) winamp shouldn't cause a huge slowdown in music, i usually have it on while i play half-life or DoD

NFSU2 is very very demanding on computer hardware. the computer uses most of the resources for the primary application (NFSU2) and it could be draining all of your memory/hogging your cpu.. i haven't yet tried to play my own mp3s while playing the game.. but i'll let you know if it music lags.. i usually stay away from maxtor drives.. at my old job at the UPS Store i packed so many maxtor drives being sent back as RMAs.. and i never really liked the company either... i use Western Digital..

oh yea, what video card are you using? try to turn down the graphics and see what happens...

summary: in my opinion, its either a hard drive issue with maxtor or the computer can't handle NFSU2 or there's a huge load on the cpu somewhere

WD drives are pretty cheap, www.newegg.com 7200RPM 8MB cache 80 gb that's the one i have

Comment

have you done a clean install of windows since you got the computer... cause being a dell might have something to do with it. my mom got a dell, and from the day i took it out of the box it has been slower than mine, eventhough it shouldnt be. they have all kinds of preinstalled unecessary shit. i have a 2100xp, which is alot slower than your processor, yet i have no problem running multiple programs, such as nsfu2 and winamp.

and also, what he^ asked... what video card are you using?

Comment

jus pop in a cd in tha stereo instead. voila!

nah seriously, upgrade your vid card to take some stress of the board itself. you might need to upgrade the soundcard too.

like i said, upgrade, cus they take care of prossessing specific things like music, etc. and take weight off your board.

hope that helped!

Comment

nah it happens when i do other things while play music, like send other mp3s via aim to buddies and shit. just generally when i do other things... i use iTunes to play music, since its easily organized and all my files are there (i have an iPod).

also, i'm using an ati radeon ve card, it came with pc.

yeah i don't like maxtor much either, but i got it for free so... you know.

my cousin has the exact same pc, and much less stuff, and his stutters as well.

they came only with win xp pro, absolutely no bundled software. so i know what you guys are talking about with prebundled shit slowing the fuck out of your pc, but nah not the case here.

thanks guys, if it seems like this is a headache, it is. i've been trying to find out whats up with this forevAr.

and wtf is up with suprnova.org, shit ain't opening on my or my cousin's pc.

Prev CBs:
              -'93 BRP LX 4AT
              -'92 AGP LX 5MT
              -'93 AGP EX 4AT

Comment

what kind of video card could i run? is there a video/audio in one card? i've been considering this.

what about some nice desktop speakers, can you guys reccomend some? must have a sub, and be under 100$.

Prev CBs:
                -'93 BRP LX 4AT
                -'92 AGP LX 5MT
                -'93 AGP EX 4AT

Comment

Originally posted by br0nx finest
                  what kind of video card could i run? is there a video/audio in one card? i've been considering this.

what about some nice desktop speakers, can you guys reccomend some? must have a sub, and be under 100$.
                  ok. dope but costly vid card is Nvidia or Geforce (think $400, but they do have chaeper models). dope soundcard is Soundblaster Audigy 2 (around $250). but they make cheaper versions of both that run for like about $100...its totally worth it. Also i have Harmon Kardon "champagne" speaker n subs, not bad for $50...actually really good speakers, and i know cuz im the audio industry!

ill break it down: bang for buck
                  get ATI radeon video card. i think i paid like $130
                  Get sound balaster. Cost $100
                  and Get Harmon Kardon 2.1 or 5.1 surround speakers.
                  You can find all this stuff at comp-usa or Best Buy.

note:2.1 means two speakers one sub, 5.1 = 5 speakers, 1 sub...get it
                  10.2 is ten speakers and 2 subs, and so on!

enjoy!
                  also pick up a DVD burner, so worth every penny!

Comment

i already do have an ati radeon video card, read two posts up before your most recent.

sound, well i think my integrated is doing fine. i actually had a set of altec lansing (black) 2.1 and they banged hard. but my cousin threw a deal at me that i couldn't pass up, so i didn't. now i feel raped, because the jbl's he gave me sound worse than headphones.

and dvd burning, well i have no use for it yet. but i might just throw down a c-note, heard they got the sony ones at j&r for 100$.

if possible, i'm trying to keep this as cost efficient as possible, because my cb7 owns my wallet.

Prev CBs:
                    -'93 BRP LX 4AT
                    -'92 AGP LX 5MT
                    -'93 AGP EX 4AT

Comment

How much ram do you have. That plays a really big role when it comes to multitasking.

Comment

Originally posted by Sho Nuff
                        How much ram do you have. That plays a really big role when it comes to multitasking.
                        512 mb.

Prev CBs:
                        -'93 BRP LX 4AT
                        -'92 AGP LX 5MT
                        -'93 AGP EX 4AT

Comment

Originally posted by Sho Nuff
                          he has 512 mb, that's more than enough.. but i'm 50% sure it's the maxtor drive that's causing this... because he says the game runs fine, but everything he runs off that secondary drive is messed up... if you ever decide to give up on that hard drive, get the one i posted before, WD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB buffer hard disk... it's like $60 now.... and the 120 GB one is i think $80

then again, it could be a dell issue... my sister has a dell, and it's just horrible.. especially for the price when we got it a few years go... dells aren't really for gaming, more of a business, office type of thing.. for me.. the only reliable pc is the one you build yourself.. for one thing, it's really fun for us computer geeks

and always buy computer hardware online at newegg.com or some other reputable place... 95% of the time it will be cheaper than at retail stores and shipping is really quick and doesn't cost much depending on the product...

i suggest you get a radeon 9600pro.. (not sure if it'll fit because it's a dell) it's like 125 i think and it's pretty good, i have one... for sound, sound blaster live 5.1 is good enough i suppose.... these things are power hungry, and i dont know if the dell power supplies can handle it...

aw hell, build up your own computer re-use your p4, ram, and drives and just buy a case, motherboard, video card, and sound card and you're set for a long time

if you need anymore info, hit me up on AIM: dis is craig

Comment

it even stutters while i just have aim, and itunes open, burning a cd.

damn this is teh ghey. i might have to build a new pc eventually, but i think there will be some problems with that. i'll post back in detail.

Prev CBs:
                            -'93 BRP LX 4AT
                            -'92 AGP LX 5MT
                            -'93 AGP EX 4AT

Comment

is the hd on a raid?

cuz just plugging one to the slave part of the cable really slows the comp down, trust me, ive done it b4.
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X