Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any pc geniuses? pc stuttering problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wed3k
    is the hd on a raid?

cuz just plugging one to the slave part of the cable really slows the comp down, trust me, ive done it b4.
    nah i don't think i have raid. i think it was a slave connector.
    '93 Bordeaux Red Pearl LX 5MT

Prev CBs:
    -'93 BRP LX 4AT
    -'92 AGP LX 5MT
    -'93 AGP EX 4AT
    10yrs after my first cb, I'm still driving one!

Comment

well.......
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
        well.......
        thats the reason?

Prev CBs:
        -'93 BRP LX 4AT
        -'92 AGP LX 5MT
        -'93 AGP EX 4AT

Comment

what resolution are you playing nfs at? does the game ever get choppy or is it just the music that skips?

the ve/7000 card isnt terrible but its not one of the better ones out there either.

and as far as audio cards, you can just get the basic... i have a basic sound blaster 5.1, i got it for about $40.

ive had that problem in the past. it could have something to do with having a low priority set to winamp. so if youre doing something memory intesive like burning a dvd or playing a game, the system will push winamp to the side to give more power where its needed.

Comment

Originally posted by br0nx finest
            thats the reason?
            im assumijg so...try putting the exact same song onto the primary hd and try it. if it still does it, then im wrong.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

512? Yeah great for general purpose use, but if you are playing latest/greatest games go for 1 gb.
              First do this. There's a program called cachemanXP located at http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_...e=product&id=7
              Download the free version and run it. Change the options so the icon represents numerical/ram available.
              It will tell you how much ram is available. If it drops low, like below 100 or lower for your system, that will let you know you have insufficient ram for your application purposes.

And an even better test would be Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools (I know its admin something, doing this from memory..im in linux) -> Performance. There will be three lines on the chart (or...should be.. ) One represents cpu usage, one represents ram usage, one represents hard drive usage.
              Let that program run, it will report where the computer is lacking. Run your programs as usual (nfsu2, winamp, etc.). To tell where you're lagging, look for one of the lines at or near 100% for an extended amount of time. Use this to look at where the system bottlenecks.
              I used this to analyze a new dell we bought. It was p4 2.8, 256 mb ram stock. But it was really slow. Like slower than my p3 1gig, 384 mb ram. I was thinking...thats not right at all, how can the comp be so shitty?
              I ran the performance program, and saw that ram was at 100% almost ALL the time. Not only that but cpu never peaked above 25%! And hard drive usage never peaked above 75%. We added another 256 stick to bring the total to 512MB.
              I ran the program again and ahhhh cpu could finally reach 100%, ram was around 75%, but not limited to! And hard drive usage could reach better peaks as well. But during normal usage all stay at low levels.
              If I run intense programs like doom3, memory peaks out, indicating I could benefit from more ram, make sense?
              Whew my fingers hurt! Let me know if you need more info.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
              where you been, is something wrong?
              i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

i'm thinking, part of the problem is definitely the video card. but my monitor has some sort of "exclusive" connection, i've nevAr seen it before, so does that mean it can only work with that card, or ati cards in general.

i'm not really that computer-savvy, i mean i can make a webpage, but i don't know shit that in-depth. i learn quick, thanks for being patient and helping me.

the cacheman readings look good, there's usually 300+mb ram free, the peak mb usage was about 270. the cpu usage peaked 100% a couple times, because i'm sending a copy of nfsu2 to my boy (1.5gb).

so i'm thinking its more the video card, sometimes it lags during nfsu2 play. also, i tested some variables, i played mp3s in wma10 during nfsu2 play, no stuttering. conclusion: iTunes is a resource hog. solution: hmm.

Prev CBs:
                -'93 BRP LX 4AT
                -'92 AGP LX 5MT
                -'93 AGP EX 4AT

Comment

the plug on the card i speak of, looks like that. there is a dongle between the monitor cable and the card. i have the ati radeon 7000, i googled it and the price is like 30$ for one. now i know, it is definitely teh sux0r.

i'm looking on newegg.com, to find one that is better than, but yet still affordable. any ideas? anyone know of any place i can check out in ny, i think canal st. might have some leads.

damn, i'm learning. lol.

Prev CBs:
                  -'93 BRP LX 4AT
                  -'92 AGP LX 5MT
                  -'93 AGP EX 4AT

Comment

how much do you want to spend. i have an aiw9600xt and its great... but unecessary for you if you dont to any capturing.

anything 96/9800 is pretty good. theyre are a few better cards, but they get up there in price.

Comment

well i don't want to be a lowballer, but honestly between my weekly expenses, bills, gas, the fact that i'm trying to save to get another alarm for the cb7, and save to get it painted in april, and get gifts for family, i don't have much lol.

but i mean, under 100$ is doable i think.

Prev CBs:
                      -'93 BRP LX 4AT
                      -'92 AGP LX 5MT
                      -'93 AGP EX 4AT

Comment

i say you should hold off on buying pc stuff, you don't want to buy something that's cheap that wont do the job the first time... it's better to save up and get something good, and with technology changing every 3 months, it's too much of a gamble to waste 100 on a low budget card only to replace it later when you find out how bad the performance is

Comment

heres one on newegg... 9600se

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-324&depa=0

about $120 shipped.

Comment

Originally posted by brownaznkid
                            i say you should hold off on buying pc stuff, you don't want to buy something that's cheap that wont do the job the first time... it's better to save up and get something good, and with technology changing every 3 months, it's too much of a gamble to waste 100 on a low budget card only to replace it later when you find out how bad the performance is
                            no doubt, imma take your advice.

kudang, imma look into that card. i could afford that.

Prev CBs:
                            -'93 BRP LX 4AT
                            -'92 AGP LX 5MT
                            -'93 AGP EX 4AT

Comment

Please don't reduce this to a flame war, but I personally suggest nvidia. The new 6800 is t3h L337, but too much money ($545). A geforce 5900 would be a good one to look at. They're about 170 and up. I have a 5200fx w/256mb ($75 and up), and its much better than my old 32mb card, but I know its considered the "value" video card, so you should prob get something more high end. Do all your computer shopping through www.pricewatch.com !
                              heres one on newegg... 9600se
                              pricewatch.com - Radeon 9600 se 128mb $67 !

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                              where you been, is something wrong?
                              i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

when i said, no doubt imma take brownazn's advice. i meant it literally, like imma save to get a better quality one at this point instead of having to spend money all over again.

so that ati radeon 9600 is wack? because 67$ is teh great. i have an ati now, so i'm sure there will be no compatibility issues (assumption) thats why i didn't consider nVidia.

Prev CBs:
                                -'93 BRP LX 4AT
                                -'92 AGP LX 5MT
                                -'93 AGP EX 4AT

Comment

Working...
                                X