**Ever have a jack fail on you?**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**Ever have a jack fail on you?**

Out of curiosity, have you ever had a jack fail on you? You always hear....never get under a car with just a jack. I just saw somebody down the street from me doing this. <- this isn't the first time either I've seen people do this.

Little over a year ago, I had a jack fail on me. I was jacking the car up for a routine oil change and the hydraulic pump failed on me and car slammed down hard.

Am I the only one?

*NOTE* This was also not a cheap jack that I was using.

yeah there was a thread a while back about a guy with a honda using a jack and then his younger brother found him stuck under the car dead i believe and thank god *knocks on wood* i had never had a jack fail on me and i always use jackstands

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

Never had one fail on me. I've always been extremely cautious and use jack stands whenever possible. That and spend the $$$ for a quality shop jack.
      Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

My dad and uncle were doing brakes on a new grand vitara, while it was in the air with the front drivers side tire off with the jack on the same side, it slipped (no e-brake)and dropped on its new rotor, everybodys ok

Originally posted by zack_odom
        Yummmmm. I'm going to go eat some Buddy Club sauce with my Mugen Spoon.

Comment

I've heard it happen to a family friend, but never happened to me. I never take the chance, always use jack stands if I'm under the car. I have had hydraulic jacks fail due to leaking seals, but never instantly, usually a slow degradation.

FYI: Craftsman Professional hydraulic jacks (black/yellow) are not good quality and do not last long. My father had one, lasted like 2-3 years of home-mechanic use. His smaller and older gray Craftsman unit is much older and still works!
          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Jack stands take an extra 2 minutes to put in and will save ur life... seems like a no brainer if ur gonna be under the car

Originally posted by lordoja
            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

My 1.5 ton craftsman low profile jack is fail! I need a new one thinking of the big red brand I think it is.

Comment

Anyone use ramps?
                Originally posted by chessboxer
                We know these are good cars, but for some reason, all the world wants are freaking civics and tegs. Bleck.
                Bought From: Slammed4thGen TypeG x2DeevergoteBillKisme

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                  Jack stands take an extra 2 minutes to put in and will save ur life... seems like a no brainer if ur gonna be under the car
                  You would think.... but not everybody thinks that way.

I double and triple check my stands.

Comment

Originally posted by PointBlank View Post
                    Anyone use ramps?
                    Eh I've thought about it. You better have a good E-brake and have something behind the wheels when using them.

Comment

One of the guys on an S2000 forum just got crushed by his car not long ago. He had the car on jack stands, rear only. He was working on the rear differential, and the car rolled, tipped the stands, and fell on him. Quite sad.

Originally posted by excalibur02 View Post
                      My 1.5 ton craftsman low profile jack is fail! I need a new one thinking of the big red brand I think it is.
                      My Craftsman started leaking in under a year. My big read broke completely in 2.

I would never trust ANY jack... hydraulic or mechanical. I always use jackstands, and I'll always have a steelie or two under the car as well. I'll always have the jack in place as well. If all else fails, at least there's something there to keep the car from completely crushing me.
                      I also rarely work on my car without anyone else knowing. If I get hurt, it won't be long before someone notices.

Ramps are a good idea, but wheel chocks are a necessity.

Comment

I've had a jack fail on me before. The "Pro-Lift" brand sold at Advance Auto Parts. Luckily we had just lifted the vehicle and were about to set the jack stands. I never EVER rely solely on a jack.
                        My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

My craftsman one seems to just lower itself when i'm not looking. luckily i always use jack stands when i raise the car otherwise i wouldn't be typing this.

Comment

i was over my boys house one day and we was trying to adjust the coilovers and he lives on a hill. we forgot to put a brick in front of the wheels but the e brake was on. on his third tug the whole car falls forward and the stock jack falls and his foot is pined on the ground between the sidewalk and the caliper pinning his foot down. my car was low so it was on the grond he had to take his shoe off so he could be free then we used the spare because it was a smaller wheel. put it on and jacked the car back up
                            我愛我的本田

Comment

When I was changing a wheel with my dad using the stock jack it just collapsed. Luckily the car didn't crush any feet.

Comment

Working...
                              X