Proper Wording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper Wording

this thread is my response to a few threads regading the same questions being asked over and over again

what would be the proper way to use the search function to find a particular thread or answer to a problem

for example....

i want to l find possible answers to a no-start problem or to find a DIY on 5 lug conversions without getting threads discussing different 5 lug rims

what would the best words to use to do a search quickly
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
    this thread is my response to a few threads regading the same questions being asked over and over again

what would be the proper way to use the search function to find a particular thread or answer to a problem

for example....

i want to l find possible answers to a no-start problem or to find a DIY on 5 lug conversions without getting threads discussing different 5 lug rims

what would the best words to use to do a search quickly
    Use google to do it. Search "5 lug swap site:cb7tuner.com"

For the "no start" search you really have to find out whats wrong first to be able to search accurately.
    As in - First you need to determine if the problem is fuel, spark or timing problem.

Then you can search - "Car won't start, No fuel site:cb7tuner.com"

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Wording is key..... however so is where you are looking.

Try selecting "advanced search" and where it says Key Word(s): change the drop down from "search entire posts" to "search titles only" you could also try making your search more forum specific. Over on the right where is says "search in forums"... chose one that is more specific to what you are looking for.

For example; you mentioned 5 lug swaps.

Change your wording to "5 lug conversion" if you don't get a good list of queries when using "5 lug swap". Also try changing The key word search to titles only, and make sure to change up your forum search area. Try suspension/wheels and tires as your specific forum search criteria.

It may take more than 5 minutes to find exactly what you are looking for. If you take the time you will find it. Just seems since the advent of search engines. No one remembers how to do any actual reading & research.
      Last edited by GhostAccord; 03-17-2012, 01:38 AM.
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

thank you for the great answers

i hope some of the new members will read this and find out how to do the search properly

Comment

We used to have a sticky that showed how to use Google as evil_demon_01 is suggesting. It really is much better than the vBulletin search. However, if you get creative with the advanced search options, you can narrow it down quite a bit.

That's one reason why I'm so picky about titles, spelling, and clear typing. Not just as a courtesy to people reading the threads, but it also makes searching MUCH more effective!
          Nobody is going to be searching for "5 lugz convertion" The search function may not even find a thread with such a title if you try it.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            We used to have a sticky that showed how to use Google as evil_demon_01 is suggesting. It really is much better than the vBulletin search. However, if you get creative with the advanced search options, you can narrow it down quite a bit.

That's one reason why I'm so picky about titles, spelling, and clear typing. Not just as a courtesy to people reading the threads, but it also makes searching MUCH more effective!
            Nobody is going to be searching for "5 lugz convertion" The search function may not even find a thread with such a title if you try it.
            exactly !!!!

i used the search button and put 5 lug in and came up with a bunch of threads but still had to look through them all but i found what i wanted

Comment

Working...
            X